Taking a skull in checked baggage

georgewatkinson

Reaction score
Hi there - I am hoping someone on here can please help:

I have been hunting in RSA and I am keen to take my cleaned and boiled Blesbok skull home as a trophy, however, I am on a budget and I don't want to pay for shipping. Do you know if I am allowed to put the skull in my checked luggage and take it home that way?

Thanks so much in advance!

Where do you live?

In Canada you are not allowed. As far as I know you can't do this is US either.

No that is not legal.

If you intend to bring it in the USA, no that is not legal unless you declare it. Depending on what species it is and where you obtained it, specifically (non CITES and what country) and the condition, e.g. no flesh, no hide, etc...you may be able to declare it and then enter with it.

If you have been hunting in RSA I would think you would have more than one animal, quite a few really. Therefore, dip and pack it and go the legal route is my advice.

Also, I have not commented on the process for exporting it from RSA or transiting through other countries on your way back. Those obviously both have laws to be aware of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaTru

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles