Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
In the interest of growing knowledge and sharing I have a battery question about my Z8i scopes I'd like to share. All findings and results will be posted for all to see. I own three Swaro Z8i scopes and like most things with electronics, they need batteries every now and then.

The 1-8x24 was pretty easy. Left side turret unscrewed to reveal the battery compartment. I installed a new one and screwed the cap back on. Done.

My question is for the other two scopes, a 1.7-13x42 and a 2-16x50. Each of these have a spare battery in the elevation turret, but that is not the battery compartment. The only other place I can find is the left side turret that houses the parallax adjustment and there is a tiny, thin little knurled section that is on the outside edge of the turret that I believe is the location of the battery. Pleas see the second picture.
1671997425709.png

1671997457935.png

So is this the battery compartment? Is there a special tool used to open it? I've tried nearly everything non-marring to get it open and don't wish to damage the surface coating or the scope. If it is a cap, is it just wicked tight? Any help would be appreciated.

It appears to be under the parallax turret
See at 50 seconds

Also

Screenshot_20221225_152543_Chrome.jpg

I’ve got the 1.7-13 and 3.5-28 models. Holding the left side knob with one hand I can easily unscrew the lid using the other hand as per manual above.

Armed with the knowledge that I was heading in the right direction, I tried again with my fingers to loosen the left side turret caps. Nope, not coming loose.

I retrieved my Knipex Cobra pliers and covered the cap with a cotton cloth. With very little pressure I was able to loosen the cap.
1672002548162.png

No damage to the cap was sustained. You can see how much this cap threads down into the parallax adjustment knob.
1672002602298.png

1672002705374.png

Lastly, I removed all the spare batteries from the top of the elevation cap. To do this a tiny screwdriver was required. Trying to make sure I use the tools I will have in the field on a hunt, I chose to use my Leatherman Mulit-Tool. I suppose you could bang the cap on a wooden table to get it out, but who wants to do that.
1672002973754.png

I will install new spare batteries in the caps before going on a hunt. I will also make sure I can unscrew the battery caps by hand or I'll have to start packing a set of Knipex in my kit as well.

Thank you to @Pheroze and @Opposite Pole for your assistance with this minor (but felt major) project.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all.

Interesting. I could not get my Z6I illumination to work even with new battery and the + in the right direction. I had to send it back to Swaro waiting for its return

Armed with the knowledge that I was heading in the right direction, I tried again with my fingers to loosen the left side turret caps. Nope, not coming loose.

I retrieved my Knipex Cobra pliers and covered the cap with a cotton cloth. With very little pressure I was able to loosen the cap.
View attachment 507541

No damage to the cap was sustained. You can see how much this cap threads down into the parallax adjustment knob.
View attachment 507542
View attachment 507543

Lastly, I removed all the spare batteries from the top of the elevation cap. To do this a tiny screwdriver was required. Trying to make sure I use the tools I will have in the field on a hunt, I chose to use my Leatherman Mulit-Tool. I suppose you could bang the cap on a wooden table to get it out, but who wants to do that.
View attachment 507544

I will install new spare batteries in the caps before going on a hunt. I will also make sure I can unscrew the battery caps by hand or I'll have to start packing a set of Knipex in my kit as well.

Thank you to @Pheroze and @Opposite Pole for your assistance with this minor (but felt major) project.

You are smart to figure all this stuff out now! I keep spare batteries in my immediate kit. I learned the hard way when my rangefinder battery died at the beginning of a hunt and I didn’t have a spare.
Which leatherman do you carry?

Every 12-18 months I change all of my CR2032 batteries. Never had a battery go flat. Scopes, car and garage remotes, rangefinders, hr belts, stereo remotes etc.

You are smart to figure all this stuff out now! I keep spare batteries in my immediate kit. I learned the hard way when my rangefinder battery died at the beginning of a hunt and I didn’t have a spare.
Which leatherman do you carry?
At the time it was called the Wave and used to be the Charge. Not sure what exactly what the difference is but now they are called the Wave+. I have 3 of them, all in black oxide from friends in the military.

https://www.leatherman.com/wave-10.html

Every 12-18 months I change all of my CR2032 batteries. Never had a battery go flat. Scopes, car and garage remotes, rangefinders, hr belts, stereo remotes etc.
It's close to the New Year so I figured it was time. ;)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.29 AM.png
    902.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.31 AM.png
    987.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 7.51.33 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Interesting. I could not get my Z6I illumination to work even with new battery and the + in the right direction. I had to send it back to Swaro waiting for its return
I'll be interested to know what they say.

Every birthday I change out all my batteries. It just works as a reminder for me. Saving a few dollars on batteries just is not worth it to me when you look at what it could mean.

View attachment 507541

View attachment 507542
View attachment 507543

View attachment 507544

Funny how frustrating the little things can be at times. I never had trouble with mine but I can see how if it wouldnt budge it would be a headscratcher! It is good that there is a spare battery in the design.

Funny how frustrating the little things can be at times. I never had trouble with mine but I can see how if it wouldnt budge it would be a headscratcher! It is good that there is a spare battery in the design.
I agree that having the spares in the elevation turret cap is a good idea when out on a hunt. But being at home sitting in the vault there's not much use for them. Having $3 battery ruin a $3K scope would certainly upset the Department of Finance.

I agree that having the spares in the elevation turret cap is a good idea when out on a hunt. But being at home sitting in the vault there's not much use for them. Having $3 battery ruin a $3K scope would certainly upset the Department of Finance.
You lost me there? ruin? how?

Batteries leak
I know some do but have you seen these flat ones leak? If you use Energizer Lithium, which are designed for long term storage, and dont forget about them for 10 years I am sure they would be ok.
I guess the reason I pose the question is that for me the $3500 Z8 is not going to get forgotten about, Its going hunting!

I know some do but have you seen these flat ones leak? If you use Energizer Lithium, which are designed for long term storage, and dont forget about them for 10 years I am sure they would be ok.
I guess the reason I pose the question is that for me the $3500 Z8 is not going to get forgotten about, Its going hunting!
I make it a habit to change all the scope and RDS batteries on my birthday.

Sorry I forgot to answer, I have not seen one leak.

Just because I haven’t seen a flat battery leak doesn’t mean it won’t.

Call it an ounce of prevention…

So is this the battery compartment? Is there a special tool used to open it? I've tried nearly everything non-marring to get it open and don't wish to damage the surface coating or the scope. If it is a cap, is it just wicked tight? Any help would be appreciated.
Yep, you have to grip that little edge to change the battery. I find one of those kitchen rubber grippy things work great. Whether you need to or not, I also react the force the elevation turret rather letting the stop take the load. Probably unnecessary

Yep, you have to grip that little edge to change the battery. I find one of those kitchen rubber grippy things work great. Whether you need to or not, I also react the force the elevation turret rather letting the stop take the load. Probably unnecessary
I tried the kitchen rubber grippy thing using my hand...didn't work. :rolleyes: It actually ripped the gippy and that's when I posted the question.

You will have to explain to me what you are talking about with the elevation turret. Not sure what you mean, but I'm up for learning something.

For what it’s worth CR2032s do not contain acid and electrolyte used is non corrosive. They also have very long life compared to alkaline batteries. Typically they have 10 year shelf life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OPZJoycely

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.