Storing rifles at City Lodge Tambo?

Houlainol

AH member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what happens to your rifles after you clear customs at Tambo? We are hunting in eastern cape and will eventually fly to port elizabeth.

We were considering staying at City Lodge 2 nights, using the train, and playing tourist in joberg and pretoria. Do we just lock them in the hotel room? Motels in the usa have offered the motel vault before. Just curious and i couldnt find this in a search

When we went and stayed in Cape Town to sightsee before going to Port Elizabeth to hunt. The hotel kept them locked up for us.

City Lodge is excellent use the one in PE all the time when I am down ....they take and lock away the guns......so no hassle at all ..

I have not used City Lodge at JNB but have used Intercontinantal at JNB and left the case under the bed without any problems. Risk with both hotel lock up and in-room.

Can someone tell me what happens to your rifles after you clear customs at Tambo? We are hunting in eastern cape and will eventually fly to port elizabeth.

We were considering staying at City Lodge 2 nights, using the train, and playing tourist in joberg and pretoria. Do we just lock them in the hotel room? Motels in the usa have offered the motel vault before. Just curious and i couldnt find this in a search

I did the same thing beginning of October before heading on to Zimbabwe. I left my rifle case in my room when out without any issues.

Enjoyed my time in J'berg, hope you do too.

As to rifles; for SAA they have a small room at where the luggage claim area is and you sign for the case, they take the case to SAPS for permit. Can't comment to other airlines as I've only used SAA for all my trips.

Without needing to make a connection I did my own and took about 35 minutes before heading to hotel. You walk indoors to get to City Lodge or Intercontinental they are connected right to airport terminal. Easy walk and safe.

Last edited:
One more thing, the train requires a mag card that you will have to purchase, it makes train travel rather expensive. When you buy it, tell the cashier where you want to go and return from and they will load the exact amount on the card. You can reload for each trip - that way, so that at the end of your stay, you have a zero balance on your card. Bring the card home with you, in case you are ever back in Jo'berg.

There are rifle and baggage storage companies in Joburg. They run anywhere from $75 U.S. per bag per day to $25 flat rate per day. They'll pick up your rifle and/or bags at SAPS and be there when you return from your side trip. I used Gracy Travel to set up my storage when I went to Moz for a fishing trip. It was seamless.

Why not just do a meet and greet with @riflepermits.com and have them also take care of your SAPs 520 form. Then just have them take care of your rifles while you are playing the tourist?

I am not sure why you would want to tour Johannesburg. I just want to get out in the country and start hunting! Ask Riflepermits.com about storage
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloyMoorin

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!