Storing a double rifle cocked..

Pondoro

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia, Botswana and South Africa
Is that ok or will the spring weaken to much over time..?

Is that ok or will the spring weaken to much over time..?

I think it wise to get a pair of snap caps and have them in the chamber when storing. And of course pull the triggers when you do so. They're cheap and you won't have to worry.

I think it wise to get a pair of snap caps and have them in the chamber when storing. And of course pull the triggers when you do so. They're cheap and you won't have to worry.
Not good to store with snap caps in the chambers....

In a humid environment I can see an issue. Mighty dry where Phil resides.

Don’t have to worry about this problem with a Kreighoff.

Depending on the design and the cocking mechanism sometimes you can de cock by pressing the receiver against a soft surface and pulling the trigger when disassembled.

On modern center fire firearms I don’t think dry firing is a problem. I pretty much dry fire all my rifles before storing.

Can you pull both triggers while action is open and then close it while holding triggers back? First time double owner here. Merkel 140 in 470 NE. Headed to JJ on Wednesday to be fitted for a red dot. Damn old eyes.

Because?

Only other way I'd know to release the springs is then to dry fire the rifle. Always thought it was best to avoid doing this, albeit not that big of a deal if you're not doing it all of the time.

EDIT: Now that I read @BRICKBURN's post, your concern is galvanic corrosion perhaps?

Often the problem with snap caps is that they have sweat on from your hands and can cause corrosion/ rust in the chamber if stored in very humid candions or for long periods of time. I simply make sure I pull a boresnake through the rifle or shotgun and wipe the snap caps with Eezox or Ballistol before putting them in the chambers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.