Acopperdawg

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
Do any of you have any experience with stock makers? Preferably around San Antonio, Austin or Houston TX?

I have used LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek with great results. The two rifles on the left were stocked by LeRoy.

Image1723730628.376670.jpg

He retired from stock making.
That’s unfortunate, my stock maker died and I don’t know many people picking up the art anymore

I wouldn't be afraid to expect as good of work as you will find in this country from Matt at MNR Custom. IMO , one of the most talented young guys we have right now.

For those of us who have had the pleasure to own a rifle stocked by someone like Goudy or Heilman, it's obvious that level of skill isn't around every corner, and I don't think those two are taking on work anymore.

Stock making is a very expensive skilled trade and they are dropping like flies due to aging out of the profession.

I think the question isn't "who is in my area" its "who in North America is taking on work at any price that is excellent?".

I can't even answer the second question anymore. David Travallion isn't. Dan Morgan took 3-4 years for the last stock I had done and he won't do any at present.

The cheapest distance between two points is either A.) Buy another gun with a stock you like, or B.) Buy a really nice $5000 used gunstock for $1200 and spend $300 to have it fitted to your rifle.

If you're fortunate enough to own a pre-64 winchester custom or a vintage mauser, another option is to search for an unfinished 98% inletted old Bishop stock that looks pretty good, finish it yourself, and have a qualified smith do final bedding and checkering work for less than $500. I see nice unfinished Bishops sell for as little as $150 on eBay and at gunshows. $300 for really good ones.

I have used LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek with great results. The two rifles on the left were stocked by LeRoy.

View attachment 626631
Wow, those are some lovely looking rifles. Personally, I love the hue on the one on the far right but again, all 3 are gorgeous!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotapparel

Latest profile posts

Got Apparel started out with just a small line of brands in 2007 and today, we’ve become one of the largest online wholesale clothing stores you’ll find. We stock some of the greatest brands including Adidas, Gildan, Port Authority and Hanes.
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?