Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Finally got this home last night and began the process of cleaning, didnt need it, taking the rifle apart to basics, interesting process and learning about it, unusual in some ways. Rifle uses the SBS, Safe Bolt System used since the late 90's I believe. The newer ones are a bit different I believe but this has 3 positions, safe, fire and bolt release. In safe the bolt can be worked and is done via a thumbwheel on the grip top.

Then I went after the mystery scope bases for which no known rings seem to exist, no worries I had two different types that work, so those bases had to come off, and a bit of a bear it was, the screws were in with Loktite and the bases were glued on as well, requiring a good whack to knock them off the receiver. Took about 45 minutes to get them off.

So today I mounted the Kahles 3-10X I had on my Steyr M72 with Steyr swing off mounts and they fit fine, actually better here then on the M72. Yesterday was range day of course so now must wait a week to shoot it. I like the detachable magazine, looks identical to the one used on the Steyr Luxus model. Also like the Luxus it has a barrel mounted front swivel, non-detachable however.
A very pretty rifle. Bore shows little if any signs of firing.
IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_4006.JPG

Nice rifle.
So you have transferred the scope bases and rings from a Mannlicher-Schönauer M72 to a Steyr SBS and they fit? It means the receiver of both rifles have a similar profile.
Good to know.
Any chance you could take a photo with the receivers of both rifles side by side?
Thanks.

Yep, swapped right over. I will get a pic tomorrow.

Congrats, looks like a fun gun to play with. I am curious about the "humpback" style stock. I thought they were for use with iron sights. I'd like to know what your range experience is like while using it with a scope.

Congrats, looks like a fun gun to play with. I am curious about the "humpback" style stock. I thought they were for use with iron sights. I'd like to know what your range experience is like while using it with a scope.
Actually the German's created the "hog back" design to assist with the use of optical sights. It serves the same purpose as the Weatherby design, just far less extravagantly.

weatherby.jpg

When I throw it up to my shoulder, its right on for me.

Nice rifle.
So you have transferred the scope bases and rings from a Mannlicher-Schönauer M72 to a Steyr SBS and they fit? It means the receiver of both rifles have a similar profile.
Good to know.
Any chance you could take a photo with the receivers of both rifles side by side?
Thanks.
Here is a few pics. Not side by side but both sides of each.
IMG_4007.JPG

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

When I throw it up to my shoulder, its right on for me.
My son has exactly the same rifle in the composite stock version in .243, 30-06 and 9.3 Steyr. The former has been his deer rifle since he was 14 and he has taken a really nice bear with the 9.3. The safety (dial?) works exactly as advertised. Both of his rifles are sub MOA. Great acquisition - congrats.

I have the composite stock M version in .30-06 as well as the M72 7x64. I have owned a number of these rifles and all have been good shooters.

Probably you know this, but the Steyr SBS magazine has 2 positions. One is fully inserted as any detachable magazine and the 2nd one is the one notch down.
This position still has the magazine attached to the receiver, but it allows the bolt to be closed without stripping a cartridge from the magazine or loading a new/ different cartridge on top of the ones already in the magazine.

Probably you know this, but the Steyr SBS magazine has 2 positions. One is fully inserted as any detachable magazine and the 2nd one is the one notch down.
This position still has the magazine attached to the receiver, but it allows the bolt to be closed without stripping a cartridge from the magazine or loading a new/ different cartridge on top of the ones already in the magazine.
No actually I didnt know that, thanks for telling me! Thats pretty slick!

I have a similar rifle, the "Classic II" in 30-06. I'm not sure what changes Steyr has made to the SBS system over the years, but according to my manual:

Red dot, weapon is on fire.

White dot. On safe, trigger is locked. Bolt can be operated. A round can be chambered.

Grey dot, and small lever. Trigger is locked. Bolt is locked. Recommended for transport. Additionally, the "butterknife" bolt handle can be pushed closer to the receiver so it's easier to slide the weapon into a slip.

And yes on the two position magazine. I've never really used it as such, because in my mind, if you have a magazine in the well, it's ready to go. Yes, I assume every weapon is always loaded, but to me, if there's a mag, working the bolt means another is going in. I've never really liked it, because it's an extra step to ensure it's "all the way home" when you really want to use it. I see why it's there, and I understand the logic, it's just not a feature I need.

Also when the safety is in the rear position, You can close the bolt another notch to where it sits very flat against the stock.

This position locks the firing pin so it can not move under any circumstances. Sort of a super safety mechanism.

I have one like it in 280 Remington with a classic wood stock.

Have stainless synthetics in 7mm-08 and 280 and a Manox Synthetic in 338 federal.

Foolishly sold my 9.3x62.

One of the most reliable and accurate factory rifles ever made. Also the bolt is fully field stripable without tools.

Also when the safety is in the rear position, You can close the bolt another notch to where it sits very flat against the stock.

This position locks the firing pin so it can not move under any circumstances. Sort of a super safety mechanism.
There is something else I didnt know about. Guess I better find myself a manual!

And I just found a paper manual on Ebay for $10! I could have downloaded it off the Steyr site but it would probably use all the ink and paper I have for my printer and if it didnt choke trying to print it all!

Anyone know what the difference is between the Classic and CLII? And why mine has the barrel mounted front swivel as opposed to stock mounted like most I have seen.

Nice rifle and great chambering Sestoppelman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anya77On

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia