Soy industry a threat to conservation

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,573
Reaction score
9,972
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I thought this an interesting study by the World Wildlife Foundation. The problem with Soy is that it's intensive cultivation is a major cause of deforestation. It it also environmentally devastating to farm! I say we should ban the import of soy. The major Airlines should not carry it. I think I am going to picket the vegan restaurant in town. Who's with me!

http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/footprint/agriculture/soy/soyreport/soy_controversies/

"Soy is an intensively grown crop, with high demands for resources such as energy, water, chemicals and soil. And as it is often grown on land that has been converted from forest to farm land it is considered to be contributing to large scale deforestation."

And...wait for it...

"All indications are that demand for soy will continue to rise well into this century. But carrying on with business as usual will mean further loss of natural environments, leading to huge and irreversible losses of biodiversity. Increased carbon emissions will exacerbate the already formidable challenges of climate change. But solutions exist that will allow us to meet the need for soy and other agricultural commodities while conserving biodiversity and crucial ecosystems."

Isn't habitat loss the greatest threat to wild animals? 
 
WOW! Farmers gone wild.
 
The self righteous BS from the antis just irks me. A young vegan felt so superior to me but I asked her how many wild animals does she see in a picture of a farmed crop...none, they're dead. My point being that they should not feel so sanctimonious because their lifestyle is destroying habitat while hunting preserves it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,289
Messages
1,570,712
Members
168,986
Latest member
salohiz
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top