Hemingway's Karl

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
We're leaving for our second hunt in June with Quagga Safaris. Previously, for our first hunt with Quagga, we utilized Trophy Solutions Africa for dip and pack, and then Conroe Taxidermy (Conroe, TX) for taxidermy. So far, I've been very happy with both entities and they have both been very easy to communicate with. I should be receiving all of my mounts in February 2024.

For this second trip, in an attempt to appease my wife (who may exile me to the couch for about a week when she sees the size of my beautiful cape buffalo pedestal mount - he's mounted on a whiskey barrel), I've decided to focus on more "space-friendly" European mounts for this second hunt. Additionally, I was also planning on utilizing the hides for various leather goods.

Due to my change in mount focus, I'm strongly considering using a South African taxidermist since Euro mounts are relatively straightforward and would likely cost about the same to ship as dip and pack. Thus, by utilizing a South African taxidermist, I would avoid the "middleman" shipping situation I'm facing now that involves additional shipping (i.e., South Africa to Conroe, TX to Kansas City).

As a change up to traditional shoulder mounts, I was considering getting various leather goods made from the hides of my animals, particularly if I get another buffalo. That being said, has anyone utilized South African taxidermists for manufacturing leather goods? If so, how was your experience and would you recommend your taxidermist?

Thank you for any of your time and consideration regarding my query.

Yes they can be very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesireeBet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?