South Africa Withdraws Species Protection, Elephant Management Laws

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Government has withdrawn legislation intended to widen the number of species protected by more stringent laws and has also scrapped incoming laws pertaining to the management of elephants and hunting of leopards.

The decision came after a legal challenge from Wildlife Ranching South Africa and the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa, the terms of which have not been disclosed, the Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment said in a statement Wednesday.

"We simply had no idea what information the minister relied upon when she made the new regulations," said Dries van Coller, chief executive officer of PHASA, in a statement.

It's unclear "what data and research motivated her to include some of the country's most abundant game species, such as the blesbok" on a list of protected species.....

Screenshot_63.jpg

Great work by PHASA once again

Does this mean that the elephant cull in the KNP will be able to go ahead? I was staggered by the damage in wide areas of the park?

The legalities of the Kruger elephant cull have never really been the problem. The problem is having the political will to stand up to countries/organisations/groups that will boycott the country and generally cause mayhem for the country.

Much easier to kick the can down the road. Hopefully that trend stops now...

You would hope that it’s plain to see how KNP will go if the elephant population is not managed. Such a shame !

B2531C60-7516-4F05-AA0B-5CA525E91012.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
South Africa has finally decided to stop letting other countries decide what’s good for their wildlife management. Kudos to them! Many more should follow their example.

Does this mean that the elephant cull in the KNP will be able to go ahead? I was staggered by the damage in wide areas of the park?

Plenty of SA locals and organisations against a cull as well...threaten to take out newspaper adverts in the big overseas newspapers telling people not to go on holiday etc in SA, as this is what they going to do.....part of reason I think why they have backed off from the cull in the past....tourism is too much of a money earner there for the powers that be to risk it

South Africa has finally decided to stop letting other countries decide what’s good for their wildlife management. Kudos to them! Many more should follow their example.

Think it's more an internal issue than outside forces on this one... :E Shrug: ..stand to be corrected

Plenty of SA locals and organisations against a cull as well...threaten to take out newspaper adverts in the big overseas newspapers telling people not to go on holiday etc in SA, as this is what they going to do.....part of reason I think why they have backed off from the cull in the past....tourism is too much of a money earner there for the powers that be to risk it

It is easier for the Tourism ministry to spend 1 Billion ZAR to sponsor a English soccer club than to face the fact that Kruger is becoming a slow dying ecosystem.

That is how outrageous these politician are thinking to attract more Tourist.

Ron Thomson Ndhlovu films on YT tells the Kruger situation well,but so many people is sadly just looking elsewhere than the troubles there.

And Arazis overlords in the background spouting in money in their neo colonial phantasies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterUlme

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]