SOUTH AFRICA: Koringkoopie Safaris *Warning* Stay Away

More pics from my hunt last year at this outfitter.
My review from last year is on their fb page. My name is Chad Richhart and I live in central Indiana.

I posted

I posted pics from my hunt with Jacques.
You should go post your own hunt report on your experience

I find it strange there three positive reviews of the outfitter on the thread and its three new members with their first post. Seems fishy to me
I did join specifically to respond to this original post. I was contacted by a friend who knew I used KoringKoppie Safaris. So I joined to respond and I as a rule do NOT do anything with social media. I don't even have a facebook account.
There is nothing fishy about this and I'm not hiding a thing. Our hunt was as I said and I have pictures to prove it.

It is unfair to run down all auction hunts. I bought two at an SCI banquet, one in Namibia, the other RSA. They were ridiculously cheap, so I decided to bid and walk away if post auction diligence was concerning. Both checked out and we wrapped them around a buffalo hunt in Dande with CMS. All three hunts were fantastic. Sometimes a good deal is a good deal.
I’m like you, I’ve purchased several hunts for unbelievable prices I could’ve walked away but chose not to and had good experiences. My only would not hunt with again experience was an auction hunt won during Covid with no due diligence.

I’ve also done as @PHOENIX PHIL suggests and preformed pre-show due diligence both by narrowing down outfitters and speaking to references in many cases.

IMPO auction hunts can be a great option for hunting a specific area or species and great for first time hunters or taking family (when the research is done). They can offer the hunter a great bargain, raise money for conservation, and if the hunter recognizes the sacrifice of the donor and adds animals, days, or excursions it allows the outfitter to recoup some of their costs and at least break even so it’s a win/win for all. I personally now look for a hunt in an area I want to visit or for a specific species. I view the hunt as covering daily rates and some trophy fees but always plan to spend roughly the current going value of the hunt (not necessarily their estimated and many times inflated value) on additional animals and/or days.

More pics from my hunt last year at this outfitter.
My review from last year is on their fb page. My name is Chad Richhart and I live in central Indiana.

I posted

I posted pics from my hunt with Jacques.
Yes I read your review and saw the pics. No wear did you mention if Jac talked about his policy of wounded game or how the staff was tipped thus why I asked a follow up question. Also can't help but notice both you and @Jscheurich took the time to respond after my question but chose to not answer even though you quoted me.

Unless bidders or raffle ticket purchasers know or know of the outfitter offering the hunt there is little if any time for a perspective bidder to vet an outfitter. Once the person wins the auction or raffle the vetting process is over.

It's now becomes; Does the winning person cut their loses and be happy they donated a sum of money to the organization, or do they go on the trip hoping the trip will meet their expectations?

Most often they will choose the latter with a good possibility they will add-on to the offer, at Possibly slightly higher add-on trophy fees and daily rates.

Example Please.

As I do not see how any organization can pressure any business into offering any product or service and business get little or nothing in return for their generosity.

Businesses donate knowingly or with in reasonable expectations thet will profit in some manner by their generosity.
I’ve never heard of an anonymous auction hunt. The outfitters are always listed and advertised well in advance. Kman and Phoenix Phil explained pressure on outfitters to donate considerably better than I would have.

Yeah I’ve never really viewed sit and wait as hunting (for large game). But I understand you can’t walk and stalk much (especially in the US) due to land size. Plus you’d probably tick off everyone in their blinds by roaming around :O

It all depends on the area.

Been on both sides.

Having people, not just hunters, passing through my setup. And having come across other hunters without seeing them in treestands, blinds, setting against the backside of a tree.

But Yeah....I have gotten a little upset with a$$holes. Others didn't bother me so much, it is what it is.

Sh*t Happens.

About as much value as buying a hunt at SCI or DSC banquets. They don’t vet the outfitters who offer auction hunts. Caveat Emptor.
I agree. But I will say that if a outfitter ever treated a SCI Member or DSC Member like this guy got treated, SCI/DSC would go to bat for the hunter as much as they possibly could and if there was not a reasonable resolution the outfitter would be banished from everything those organizations touch and would be on a "no fly list" within those organizations. SCI and DSC has a LOT of clout in the industry

They don't vet the outfitters but they would not stand for this type of crap either.

So yes, as always, buyer beware...but I do believe SCI/DSC would provide a lot more value to a hunter that was treated unfairly than PHASA has given the OP

I can't speak for all scenarios regarding auction hunts. There's just too many of them for me to say. But for DSC and SCI, the auction hunts and information about them is available well in advance of the conventions. One can easily research in time for the shows. That is like not true in all circumstances however.

As far as your latter point asking for an example. The cost of the booth at the DSC and SCI conventions is just the beginning. The demand for a booth at the shows outstrips the supply, the organizations easily can require a donation. Furthermore not only to get into the show, but a higher donation will also get you better location within the halls.

100% You beat me to this.

The auctions are published well in advance. There is plenty of time to do your homework BEFORE the auction starts and then have a list of auctions from outfitters you trust from your own knowledge or from research and references.

3/3 for new member, first post to have positive comments for this outfitter.

What an amazing coincidence! :E Head Scratch:
I did become a new member because a friend who knew I hunted with them contacted me about this post. I don't do social media and don't have a facebook account but wanted to respond regarding my experience with KoringKoppie.

I’ve never heard of an anonymous auction hunt. The outfitters are always listed and advertised well in advance

Didn't intend to suggest the auction/raffle hunts were anonymous.

Not everyone who attends SCI, DSC, etc., are veteran members, often having joined at or within a month or two prior to attendance. Thereby these "bidders" only see the auction or raffle the first or second day of a one or two day attendance and they make a bid that most likely is not incontention of winning, yet they win the auction/raffle having little to no clue who the outfitter is until they are notified.

Those that are veteran members of the organization have a better chance of knowing something about the outfitter or chance to vet the outfitter because of the amount of email solicitations.

Raffle ticket buyers, may just buy the ticket because the organization is wanting donations for a worthy cause, with little to no information as to what the raffled article is. They don't really expect to win. They win. Now they have to figure out everything.

Kman and Phoenix Phil explained pressure on outfitters to donate considerably better than I would have.

Either I have missed their post or don't remember reading them.

Didn't intend to suggest the auction/raffle hunts were anonymous.

Not everyone who attends SCI, DSC, etc., are veteran members, often having joined at or within a month or two prior to attendance. Thereby these "bidders" only see the auction or raffle the first or second day of a one or two day attendance and they make a bid that most likely is not incontention of winning, yet they win the auction/raffle having little to no clue who the outfitter is until they are notified.

Those that are veteran members of the organization have a better chance of knowing something about the outfitter or chance to vet the outfitter because of the amount of email solicitations.

Raffle ticket buyers, may just buy the ticket because the organization is wanting donations for a worthy cause, with little to no information as to what the raffled article is. They don't really expect to win. They win. Now they have to figure out everything.

Either I have missed their post or don't remember reading them.

Post 237, right after your previous post.

Yes I read your review and saw the pics. No wear did you mention if Jac talked about his policy of wounded game or how the staff was tipped thus why I asked a follow up question. Also can't help but notice both you and @Jscheurich took the time to respond after my question but chose to not answer even though you quoted me.
There was no discussion about wounded animals because we didn't have any. I gave my tip to Jacques personally, and tipped others as I saw fit.

Yeah I’ve never really viewed sit and wait as hunting (for large game). But I understand you can’t walk and stalk much (especially in the US) due to land size. Plus you’d probably tick off everyone in their blinds by roaming around :O
I don’t mind it if the neighbor start walking around a bit , they will often get the deer moving again and many times in my direction

Post 237, right after your previous post.

Yes, I just read yours and Kman's post.

Seems you two had posted while I was on and off writing my response to @375Fox.

As such I think I covered the SCI, DSC, etc. organization members having time to vet outfitters.

Granted SCI and DSC are the premier conventions which an outfitter would want to attend. But there are other big shows outfitters can attend and would be appreciated. Should the outfitter want to avoid any organization's pressure tactics.

Like almost everyone has said; there are two sides to every story and it would be interesting to hear the other side. However, we can look at the pictures of the "trophies" and I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone saying they would be happy with that selection of animals if it was your hunt.

One thing I strongly disagree with that has come up a bunch of times (and I am sure I will get some backlash for this) are all the comments about how it is ultimately 100% on the hunter if they aren't happy with their trophy, because they are the one that pulled the trigger and they should have field judged the animal and not shot if they weren't happy.

A very large part of what you are paying the PH/Guide for on a paid and guided hunt is for their expertise, ability to find game, and field judge game for the client. It is unreasonable to expect a client who has never been to Africa, or even been a few times, to field judge an animal they have never or barely seen in their life from 300+ yards away, and then make the shot. That is literally what you are paying the PH for, and they usually have been doing this 200+ days a year for many years.

Most people who have gone on a few guided hunts especially to Africa where you might hunt 10-15 animals in one trip, have experienced times where you had just a couple seconds to take a shot as an animal walked out from behind heavy brush and you relied on your PH telling you it was a good one.

I have always told my Guide/PH what type of animal I was looking for and things that I absolutely wouldn't want to shoot on a trip. If there was time to closely look at an animal, of course I would, but there isn't always time for that. And my PH and guides have always been pretty good about warning me before we stalked or before I shot at anything with a comment like "That one has a very asymmetrical horn" or "That one has a broken tip" or "That one is mature, but kind of short horns".

I personally would be pissed if my PH knew of "the only mature bull on the property" and then we looked for it for 5 days, and in all that time he never mentioned to me that it wasn't a very nice bull and had asymmetrical horns and a wonky shape.
100%! A guide or PH is supposed to judge the animal in an honest way. That’s what we are paid to do. Unfortunately, too many guides and PHs are just tag fillers. I tell my guides that their job is not only to tell a hunter when to shoot, but also when NOT to shoot. I would rather have a hunter go home without an animal than take home an animal they are not happy with. My guides must also please me, in addition to the client. Sometimes, clients have no idea what they should be happy with shooting.

Looks like and sounds like you got screwed over, not all outfitters and Phs are like that. did you send photos to Tony de Bruin or just spoke on the phone. You should also lodge a formal complaint with PHASA so they can initiate a disciplinary hearing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewAnnis1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe