SOUTH AFRICA: Koringkoopie Safaris *Warning* Stay Away

I agree you’re paying the PH for his expertise in field judging and knowledge of the area. Where we disagree slightly is I believe the PH’s responsibility lies in determining the maturity of the animal and/or size if a hunter has communicated wanting a certain size or medal class animal. Is the outfitter partially to blame yes, however the Op knew this was the only mature bull on the property, got multiple looks at it and is also particularly to blame IMO. Any experienced African hunter (the OP admitted he was) that sees a couple of substandard animals that they believed were immature (Ex other hunters Impala & Warthog) means YOU NEED to look extremely closely at EVERY animal the sticks go up on. If you’re not 100% sure it’s something you’re going to be happy with you need to be passing, not shooting and demanding to not pay or be charged cull price. For me personally, if I was told this is the only mature bull on the property I’m taking that animal off my list. If the property only has bulls and no females, it’s off my list. Your example of being told about asymmetrical horns or not very good likely had to do with hunting a property with multiple shooters on it.

If the outfitter behaved as described and was vindictive in head shooting the OP’s giraffe or intentionally caused the slice in the neck that’s completely out of line and unacceptable behavior. I’m not trying to absolve the outfitter of that.

Where I disagree is about putting all of it on the outfitter, especially the shape of the Waterbuck. That is/was the OP’s original complaint. He claimed “it’s ugly and he’s not paying”. The shooting of that Waterbuck is on the hunter regardless if it’s a first timer or experienced African hunter (like the op). Only you as a hunter know if you’ll be happy with the shape. Even as a first timer you’ve seen photos, you know what a symmetrical one looks like. If you’re a hunter who doesn’t like odd shapes or deformities, and won’t accept just a mature old bull, and YOU haven’t got a good look at the horns then you need to pass on the shot even if it means not getting your number 1 animal.

The argument and verbal altercation stemmed from this. I’m in no way excusing the PH’s behavior because how he behaved should NEVER happen but everyone is only seeing the OPs side. I guarantee you the Outfitter felt like he was being cheated/stolen from because he was out the Waterbuck money plus the OP’s refusal on the giraffe (again I’m curious of the outfitters POV). Again, not excusing it, but I know how I’d reacted if I felt that way.

There’s a lot to unpack in this report. There’s a lot of lessons all hunters can take away. I know a lot of people disagree with some of my views and maybe that’s because I’m biased given my former life but when I send a round down range whatever it kills is on me and me alone even if it passes through and hits something else. I pulled the trigger. i sincerely wish the OP better luck next time and hope it hasn’t turned his girlfriend off from joining him on future hunts.
I got the impression the outfitter was something of a bully. Well, more than just an impression. The client is trying to make the best of a bad situation. What happens if he refuses to shoot this designated bull waterbuck ... which is almost certainly something the outfitter/PH/property owner wanted culled. Then the rest of the safari goes in the toilet? Client is just hoping the next day might go better. It didn't.

I find it hard to believe a proper property manager would let a crappy bull like that one reach maturity. Waterbuck stink anyway but this one smells even more of inbreeding = shitty management.

Was this your first hunt in Africa? Also could you post some photos of your animals please.
Even included pic of the PH with me and his son.

Attachments

• IMG_9888.jpeg
    IMG_9888.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9958.jpeg
    IMG_9958.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9965.jpeg
    IMG_9965.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
Huh? I had a great experience with Kuche. The Water Buck I posted a pic of in this thread was from a Kuche hunt. We were hunting a property in Free State.
It’s a long running thread on here. My wife has a cousin that hunted with Kuche and had a wonderful time.

My profile lists everything but my fingerprint and bra size.
So when are you going to post them?
On my computer it just says Ontario Hunter. But I’m pretty much computer illiterate.
Not to derail but how did your dogs health turn out. I seem to remember she was injured or ill?

I agree you’re paying the PH for his expertise in field judging and knowledge of the area. Where we disagree slightly is I believe the PH’s responsibility lies in determining the maturity of the animal and/or size if a hunter has communicated wanting a certain size or medal class animal. Is the outfitter partially to blame yes, however the Op knew this was the only mature bull on the property, got multiple looks at it and is also particularly to blame IMO. Any experienced African hunter (the OP admitted he was) that sees a couple of substandard animals that they believed were immature (Ex other hunters Impala & Warthog) means YOU NEED to look extremely closely at EVERY animal the sticks go up on. If you’re not 100% sure it’s something you’re going to be happy with you need to be passing, not shooting and demanding to not pay or be charged cull price. For me personally, if I was told this is the only mature bull on the property I’m taking that animal off my list. If the property only has bulls and no females, it’s off my list. Your example of being told about asymmetrical horns or not very good likely had to do with hunting a property with multiple shooters on it.

If the outfitter behaved as described and was vindictive in head shooting the OP’s giraffe or intentionally caused the slice in the neck that’s completely out of line and unacceptable behavior. I’m not trying to absolve the outfitter of that.

Where I disagree is about putting all of it on the outfitter, especially the shape of the Waterbuck. That is/was the OP’s original complaint. He claimed “it’s ugly and he’s not paying”. The shooting of that Waterbuck is on the hunter regardless if it’s a first timer or experienced African hunter (like the op). Only you as a hunter know if you’ll be happy with the shape. Even as a first timer you’ve seen photos, you know what a symmetrical one looks like. If you’re a hunter who doesn’t like odd shapes or deformities, and won’t accept just a mature old bull, and YOU haven’t got a good look at the horns then you need to pass on the shot even if it means not getting your number 1 animal.

The argument and verbal altercation stemmed from this. I’m in no way excusing the PH’s behavior because how he behaved should NEVER happen but everyone is only seeing the OPs side. I guarantee you the Outfitter felt like he was being cheated/stolen from because he was out the Waterbuck money plus the OP’s refusal on the giraffe (again I’m curious of the outfitters POV). Again, not excusing it, but I know how I’d reacted if I felt that way.

There’s a lot to unpack in this report. There’s a lot of lessons all hunters can take away. I know a lot of people disagree with some of my views and maybe that’s because I’m biased given my former life but when I send a round down range whatever it kills is on me and me alone even if it passes through and hits something else. I pulled the trigger. i sincerely wish the OP better luck next time and hope it hasn’t turned his girlfriend off from joining him on future hunts.
If you actually read my post the Outfitter/PH said "fine you don't have to pay for it" when I was shocked at the shape of it. I didn't walk up to it and say I wasn't paying. He said that first. If you read my post it was last night when we shot it. Also the giraffe was the package animal so me refusing pictures with it didn't cost the outfitter anything. I didn't want my picture with a giraffe that was headshot and neck shot by him. Several people said a taxidermist could have sewed it up and there would only be a scar there. I knew this but why would I want a mount with a scar I would see and remember that crappy moment Everytime I looked at it.

Yeah, especially since he just joined today. I was born at night but.........
My review is on their fb page from last year. My name is Chad Richhart. I live in central Indiana. Not sure what else you like from me. I posted pics from my hunt

If you actually read my post the Outfitter/PH said "fine you don't have to pay for it" when I was shocked at the shape of it. I didn't walk up to it and say I wasn't paying. He said that first. If you read my post it was last night when we shot it. Also the giraffe was the package animal so me refusing pictures with it didn't cost the outfitter anything. I didn't want my picture with a giraffe that was headshot and neck shot by him. Several people said a taxidermist could have sewed it up and there would only be a scar there. I knew this but why would I want a mount with a scar I would see and remember that crappy moment Everytime I looked at it.

You are correct, i forgot about the Giraffe being the donated hunt species. Where you’re wrong is it did cost him the cost of that giraffe. You did try to make it up with other things to offset so I can’t argue with you there. I’m guessing they were going to inflate your taxidermy bill a little on the giraffe to offset. I’ve seen that happen.

I agree with you, if the hunt was that bad there’s no sense spending the money on mounting him and seeing a scar if it’ll remind you of a bad trip/experience. Plenty of other giraffes in Africa to shoot.

I also forgot about him initially saying you don't have to pay. I’m guessing that drive back got to him.

I genuinely feel bad for you, and don’t wish your hunt experience on anyone. As I said before, maybe I’m a little biased on my views on pulling the trigger because as much as I do it, I don’t take it lightly.

So when are you going to post them?
On my computer it just says Ontario Hunter. But I’m pretty much computer illiterate.
Not to derail but how did your dogs health turn out. I seem to remember she was injured or ill?
In the blue menu bar in my profile click on "About." Dog has a bone chip in that joint. Don't remember her injuring it. Vet says he can't rule out cancer. Not painful and she doesn't favor the leg. She is on antibiotic and anti-inflammatory but does not appear to be getting better. Hell of a lump and very hard. I think I'll run her Minneapolis on Monday for university hospital assessment.

Smart phones with video games must be required equipment for bow hunting. Zzzz.
You’ll be surprised how much you learn about animal behaviour, while sitting in a bowhunting hide.
It also gives you time to appreciate some of the smaller species and especially the birdlife.

I got the impression the outfitter was something of a bully. Well, more than just an impression. The client is trying to make the best of a bad situation. What happens if he refuses to shoot this designated bull waterbuck ... which is almost certainly something the outfitter/PH/property owner wanted culled. Then the rest of the safari goes in the toilet? Client is just hoping the next day might go better. It didn't.

I find it hard to believe a proper property manager would let a crappy bull like that one reach maturity. Waterbuck stink anyway but this one smells even more of inbreeding = shitty management.
If he passes and the outfitter really wants it gone maybe a deal gets made at a reduced price maybe it doesn’t. I honestly don’t think him passing would have made the situation worse. Same if he passed on his reedbuck. You’re speculating it makes the Safari worse, I’m speculating based on my experience of passing on a lot of animals it doesn’t make it worse and I guarantee it doesn’t end in an extremely hostile argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TravisSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED