SOUTH AFRICA: Has Anyone Hunted With Mount Carmel Safaris?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Outfitter inquiry.....
Does anyone have any experience with an outfitter called "Mount Carmel Safaris" owned and operated by an Andries Van Zyl in the Northern Cape? Please shoot me a PM if you don't wish to openly post here.......asking for a friend who has a chance to hunt with them. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed your question was from a few years ago but I was wondering if you found out any information on Mt. Carmel? I'm planning on hunting with them in May of 2024 and any information you found would be helpful. Cheers.

Andres is a good guy, lots of game on his place. Bushman’s Hole is worth the trip there. I hunted with them on my first trip.

Thank you. Any recommendations you'd suggest or change? Did you bring your own rifle or rely on Mt Carmel's? Anything you'd change or recommend I bring when I go?

We brought our own rifles, Andres was going through a divorce at the time and really didn’t seem to have his head in the game. I completely understand the situation and we still had a great time. My two buddies had really good trackers, mine was absolute shit, he smoked outside of the hide while I was trying to shoot animals with a bow. I believe at one point we were talking about tips and I said I was thinking about leaving my guy a very expensive custom made knife. My buddies were really surprised. I said I was going to leave it stuck in his heart if he went out and smoked again! Andres fixed the situation. All in all it was a fun trip and beautiful place, reminded me of southern New Mexico high desert. He has been in business a long time and is a good supporter of the RMEF. Hope he is doing well. Just don’t take near what you think you will need, you aren’t going on a fly in drop camp hunt in AK. Tell Andres that you packed your drinking shoes when he says it is time for an ABF(absolute bloody final!). Enjoy your hunt!

I forgot to mention, the mutton was unbelievable and don’t turn your nose up to it, it isn’t the mutton you will get on the Navajo Nation. Stay away from a thing they cook called a puff adder! I would rather eat a skunks ass than that shit they called a delicacy

I hunted with them in September 2021, and rented a rifle. The rifle was good quality and had reasonable optics. Overall, a good experience albeit a few issues that if you PM, I can let you know about. The PH I hunted with was Andres' son.

Just prior to the time I hunted, the locals were illegally setting fires to the areas Boers' family farms which took a lot of resource to control or contain at the time. It did create, however, a good hunting opportunity in which all of the animals were largely in the open and made it easier to spot (except the fallow deer which held tight in the remaining unburned bushveld and were quite wary). For example, spotting and shooting at steenbok was a breeze since they would have otherwise have ducked into cover as soon as they were spotted. While this fire situation may not be what you will experience (i.e.., post-burn may actually increase soil nutrients and create more growth), it did indicate that the Mount Carmel Safaris land is quite good for game quantity.

If you look at their brochure, you'll see that they also offer up Aoudad (Barbary sheep) which is at a nearby farm (concession). I hunted there and got one which is a unique opportunity (N.B. - other opportunities would be relatively higher cost in Texas). While at this area, we saw a stampede of rhino go by quite close and one of the rarest lechwe in the world, Nile Lechwe, which was well in excess of my pay grade to be able to harvest! This was good and challenging hilly terrain to hunt.

I went to a BBQ (braai) in town with Andres' family and met many of the locals. An opportunity presented itself which Andres let me know about to hunt roan. After a quick negotiation back-forth, we went out the next day to a nearby farm and hunted one. I also borrowed the camp shotgun and went after Francolin (spurfowl) and Guinea fowl; which I asked the cook to prepare for the former and gave the latter to the trackers. Andres had never had Francolin before he said, and thought they were actually good.

While chasing after warthog, there was a herd of kudu on what would be the equivalent of public land (Crown Land in UK or Canada) and so were a free-for-all that could be hunted gratis. I shot and wounded one and after a lengthy tracking, managed to secure the kudu that got without paying any trophy fees. The upside was that got a kudu free of charge; but the down side, could not keep the trophy as a mount even if I wanted to.

I guess the take home message is to inquire with Andres about these sorts of opportunities in the area and good deals that can be had.

Photos as follows including view from the main hill at the farm which we climbed each day to spot for fallow deer. The hunting areas on the farm are quite good with hilly areas and some are accessed by driving under the highway through tunnels to some areas which was unique and interesting.

IMG_4508.jpg
Accommodation.jpeg
Farm garden.jpg
PH and Tracker with Burchell Zebra.jpeg
Common (grey) duiker.jpeg
Steenbok.jpg
View of the hill from near the framhouse.jpg
The Hill.jpg
View of farm from hill.jpg
Fallow deer.jpg
Free range kudu.jpg
Roan.jpg
Spurfowl.jpg
Aoudad.jpg
Nile lechwe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthaMcCl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.