Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
Hunted
Africa, Europe, Asia, North America
I'm finally getting this hunt report out! If there are some weird spellings, etc. please understand that I typed this out in Word and then pasted it in here.

HUNT REPORT Dark Continent Bowhunting
Dark Continent Bowhunting

Location Northwest Province, South Africa
Dates April 9-17, 2012
Booking Agent Hunting for Adventure
Hunting for Adventure - Hunting For Adventure
Professional Hunter: Sean Daniels
Hunter: Tom Addleman

Game taken: Steenbok, Ostrich, Porcupine, Wildebeest (2), Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, and Impala

Game seen but not hunted: Zebra, Common Springbok, Black springbok, Impala, Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Nyala, Gemsbok, Steenbok, Ostrich, Duiker, Blesbok, White Blesbok, Kudu

img_5401-jpg.12910

We were surrounded. I was trying to breathe but my breaths became short, beads of sweat trickled down my face, and my racing heart felt like it was going to explode. My fingers gripped the bowstring. The wildebeest were literally out every window of the blind, some within 3 yards

WELCOME TO DARK CONTINENT BOWHUNTING

I arrived in Johannesburg and was met by Sean Daniels and Francois Pinaar of Dark Continent Bowhunting. I had found the outfit through Africahunting.com and decided to research further into the outfitter. As I emailed and contacted Sean and Sheryl Daniels by phone and skype, I knew that they were good people and that I would be in good hands. I booked the hunt on very short notice (less than 30 days) and I was excited!

As I have been on a number of hunts in Southern Africa, I was the slightly worried about Dark Continent as the prices for daily rates and trophy fees was significantly less than their competitors. Could I really have a good hunt for the low daily rates and trophy fees? What would the lodge and accommodations be like?

The greedy guy in me wants to say that it was no fun, no animals and for other hunters to go elsewhere in an attempt to protect the deal I have found. But, that just wouldn't be right. There were lots of animals, I had a load of fun and the pricelist is very tough to beat!

The main hunting area is about an hour and a half (yes, 1 1/2 hrs!) from the airport. It makes for a nice, short commute from the airport to the lodge. As you enter the main gates you drive a few hundred yards and immediately notice the main lodge with lappa, pool, 3D bow range and smaller chalet accommodations surrounding the main building.

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5401.jpg

After having my bags delivered to my own personal chalet, I quickly organized a few things and met Sean, Sheryl and Francois down at the Lappa (fire area) for a few drinks and discussion of what the week had in store for me. After a few laughs and strategy session (æœaking a plan? for the hunt, I was off to bed.

My chalet was wonderful. It had a full kitchen with fridge and sink, three beds, and a nice bathroom that was clean and well organized. The accommodations are very nice. A guy could easily bring his wife or girlfriend here and the lady would be very pleased and comfortable. A group of guys could either share one of the big chalets or be broken up into several different chalets. There are four individual chalets sleeping up to four hunters each, plus three rooms in the æœain lodge capable of handling several more. The laundry was done daily and room service made the bed and straightened the room each day. It doesn't get much better than that.

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5425.jpg

IMG_5431.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5437.jpg
    IMG_5437.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5441.jpg
    IMG_5441.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
With a gentle tap on the window and hearing your name called in a strong Afrikaans accent, you wake up remembering you are in Africa!

A hot cup of coffee and rusks awaited me in the main lodge. As I pieced together my Black Widow recurve and located my release for the compound, Sheryl had cooked up a large hot breakfast! I had promised the wife that I would lose some weight on this trip?ut I could tell right away that it wasn't going to happen. Sheryl is a fantastic cook and really caters to what you want. Prior to my arrival they had contacted me with a preference list, asking what I wanted and preferred to eat and drink. I told them traditional South African food with mostly game meats for dinner. Ask and you shall receive! Breakfast was eggs, bacon (awesome),boerewors and droewors.

After breakfast it was time to head to the well appointed 3D range. It was pretty neat to have 3D animals of hyena, gemsbok and Red Hartebeest to double check your equipment. After everything was functioning well, it was off to the blind.

IMG_5402.jpg

Tomrecurve.jpg

DAY ONE
Some days in Africa are just 途ight? This turned out to be one of those days. Shortly after settling into the hide, a mature Steenbuck made his way past. Knowing the nature of these fast animals (典hey live on RedBull said my PH Sean Daniels), I aimed low and focused on the spot. At the release of my muzzy tipped arrow, the shaft disappeared through both shoulders and skidded to a halt after passing completely through. The buck ran 15 yards and then collapsed. What a way to start the day!

Sean and I were congratulating each other when I heard æœmmmmeeeeewwwwwfffff out of the far blind window. I scooted over and slowly peered out to see a decent sized group of Blue Wildebeest heading our way. I prepared another arrow and got in position. The animals came in so fast that deciding on a particular individual became tough. Finally one stepped clear of the rest and a nice 18 yard shot in the vitals secured the second trophy within ten minutes.

After waiting the generally accepted ?0 minutes we called in the truck. Both animals were found within a very short distance from the hide. Pictures were taken and it was time to head back for a late breakfast/early lunch. I can do that!

steenbokbetter.jpg

wildebeestcowgood.jpg

combo-wildebeestandsteenbok2.jpg

After food and a bit of shooting my recurve, it was time to head out to another blind. This time we were after Impala or Blesbok. The blind was chosen as it is placed in an area frequented by both species. As the minutes, then hours ticked by nothing was really happening. Then, as if on cue, out stepped two beautiful Impala Rams. I chose the bigger one (don't know how that always happens) and drew back. The lighted nock traced through the air and disappeared into the Ram. After a tracking job we found the impala. We took several great pictures and then headed back to the lodge for a great dinner.

impala.jpg

What a great first day! Three animals and a wonderful day spent in the African bush with new friends. It really doesn't get much better than that!

Attachments

• combo-wildebeestandsteenbok2.jpg
    combo-wildebeestandsteenbok2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 124
  • impala.jpg
    impala.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 155
  • steenbokbetter.jpg
    steenbokbetter.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 120
  • Tomrecurve.jpg
    Tomrecurve.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 124
  • wildebeestcowgood.jpg
    wildebeestcowgood.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 126
DAY TWO

I told my PH Sean that I was hoping to take things easier today in hopes of having some money left by the end of the trip! There are a few black springbok on the property and we chose a hide in the specific area that the ram frequented. We sat throughout the morning with no appearance by the springbok.

On the way back to camp for lunch we were flagged down by an excited ranch worker. Approximately 75 yards from the truck was an African Porcupine. I have read about these creatures and often found their quills while out hunting, but had never had the opportunity to actually see one in person. I was staring at it awestruck when a voice said 鄭re you going to grab your recurve?? Oh yeah, back to reality. I grabbed the bow and two arrows and headed off on a porcupine stalk. As I neared the magic 20 yard mark, I pulled back and focused all of my attention on one spot. At the release of the bowstring I knew it was a good shot. The 150 grain silverflame broadhead disappeared behind the shoulder, angling toward the front of the offside shoulder. Perfect. The animal hardly moved but did do an odd 都hake upon passing that almost sounded like a rattlesnake. All of the quills shook around and then stopped. Very neat.

After pictures and loading up my trophy, it was back to the skinning area to skin and prepare for a full mount.

The skinning and butchering area at Dark Continent is truly outstanding. White tile floor, cutting and preparation areas, electric winches and freezer room all add up to a top shelf operation. The floor was so clean you could literally eat off of it.

IMG_5446.jpg

IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

porky1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_5452.jpg
    IMG_5452.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 154
  • porky1.jpg
    porky1.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 140
DAY THREE

Dinner at Dark Continent Bowhunting is a big affair. Fresh meats, salads, breads and desert. Don't go thinking you will lose weight. In addition, the after dinner drinks and conversation are truly memorable. Sean and Sheryl are wonderful people. Very nice, accommodating and professional. They have truly become friends.

The reason I bring up dinner is two fold; I love to eat and after dinner strategy sessions were always fun. On the evening of day two we had decided to go after Red Hartebeest. Now I don't particularly find Red Hartebeest as beautiful, graceful or at the top of any of my lists?but I do find them interesting. For some odd reason I had a desire to take one with my bow. Other places I had hunted either didn't have them available or discouraged taking one with a bow. Not so at Dark Continent. So, Sean and I discussed the matter and decided that it was time to truly focus on a hartebeest. He recommended a blind and time frame (all day) and that was the plan! The decision was confirmed after discussing the matter with Johnny Walker. After a few drinks, Johnny suggested we go for it!

Sitting in a blind on a property for one specific animal is both exciting and totally boring. The day you say çš„ want to see an X today? the waterhole is full of outstanding Y's. We watched and watched animals coming to and from the waterhole all day. Some within literal spitting distance. I read a book from cover to cover. I took a nap in the blind. Yes, there are actual beds in the blinds for this very purpose.

IMG_5370.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

Finally, as dusk was turning to dark, a group of three red hartebeest literally came RUNNING into the water. It was like a whistle had blown and the 殿ll clear was given. The biggest bull came charging in and promptly stood broadside at 22 yards. You can't make this crap up. He wasn't drinking water, wasn't licking salt?just came running in to stand broadside at 22 yards for me. Amazing. I pulled back, settled the pin and let him have it. At the shot all hell broke loose. The bull ran down a valley and up the other side. Somehow I managed to keep my binoculars on him and watched him stumble a number of times. A review of the video showed the shot was good but just a tad farther forward than we liked. We waited thirty minutes and called in the truck. We drove over to where he was last seen and there he was. My Red Hartebeest.

hartebeestside.jpg

hartebeestwithSean.jpg

Attachments

• hartebeestside.jpg
    hartebeestside.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 132
  • hartebeestwithSean.jpg
    hartebeestwithSean.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5361.jpg
    IMG_5361.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5370.jpg
    IMG_5370.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_5390.jpg
    IMG_5390.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for sharing. Curious, how do you do 'Tom' in a strong Afrikaans accent..? :biggrin2:

DAY FOUR

After the success on the Hartebeest, I was left wondering what to go for now. When Sheryl informed me that they had a few Ostrich available I had to jump at it.

Now Ostrich might not seem like a great animal for your safari. Afterall, it's just a big bird right? For me, hunting an Ostrich with my recurve was just the ticket! I have seen very few of these animals taken with a recurve bow so I wanted to give it a go.

We drove about 20 minutes to a neighboring property. I could physically see the ostrich out on the edge of a big field. I learned that we would be spot and stalk hunting this one!

As we crept closer and closer on knees I kept thinking that there is now way this will work. Believe it or not, the ostrich had it's head down feeding most of the time. As we tucked in behind a bush at about 25 yards, it looked like this was going to be it. As if on cue the ostrich moved a few steps and provided a nearly perfect shot.

The vital area on an ostrich is right in front of the legs. It is weir placement but an arrow or bullet put in that spot will do the trick. I pulled back the recurve, mentally picked a spot, and let the arrow free. As if guided by a laser, the arrow flew perfect and sunk deep into the ostrich, a few inches in front of the leg. Upon impact the Ostrich started running, arrow fletchings clearly visible with binoculars. After a few minutes of it not falling, Sean and I decided it needed a follow up. After a follow up arrow to the chest, it was down for good.

ostrichbest.jpg

OstrichSpread.jpg

It was pretty neat to take an Ostrich with a recurve bow. Something I will do again someday. They are amazing animals to see in the skinning shed. At points it almost looks like an alien hanging there. I知 having a shoulder mount done of the Ostrich and the leather tanned for gloves, boots or a quiver. Not sure yet but I will have something made out of Ostrich leather!

Attachments

• ostrichbest.jpg
    ostrichbest.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 116
  • OstrichSpread.jpg
    OstrichSpread.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 110
Thanks for sharing. Curious, how do you do 'Tom' in a strong Afrikaans accent..? :biggrin2:

Ha! Sounds like "Dommmmm!, vake up"

As my hunt drew to a close I had a few more animals left on my wish list. I was most interested in continuing to hunt with my recurve for a Wildebeest cow and my compound for a blesbok, male or female. On the fifth day I was able to take this old cow wildebeest and blesbok. Neither of them the biggest trophies I saw but they were both great hunts.

wildebeestcow2a.jpg

blesboklarge.jpg

Attachments

• blesboklarge.jpg
    blesboklarge.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 162
  • wildebeestcow2a.jpg
    wildebeestcow2a.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 131
Now for a few pics of the hunting area.

IMG_5411.jpg

IMG_5391.jpg

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5415.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5365.jpg
    IMG_5365.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5375.jpg
    IMG_5375.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5411.jpg
    IMG_5411.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5415.jpg
    IMG_5415.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_5474.jpg
    IMG_5474.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 137
Overall I had a fantastic trip that didn't break the bank. The prices were very good and I saw plenty of animals each day. If you are looking for a bowhunting safari in South Africa, Dark Continent should be on your short list. They are bowhunters themselves and know how to get game close.

A few random photos:

IMG_5389.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

IMG_5406.jpg

Seanrecurve1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_5389.jpg
    IMG_5389.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5406.jpg
    IMG_5406.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Seanrecurve1.jpg
    Seanrecurve1.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 119
Nice report Tom, always thorough... Enjoyed the pictures and glad to see you wearing AH cap! :thumb:

Quite the body count for so little time spent, congrats.

Tom, Thanks for the pics and story, just curious what setup were you using on your compound?

Gunner,

I was shooting a Mathews Switchback, 68 pounds. Gold Tip "Pro Hunter" arrows with 125 grain muzzy three blade broadheads.

Glad you got around to this report.
Looks like you had some fun warming up the recurve.
Congrats!
How large is the farm?

This farm is smaller than the others they hunt. I was told between 1250-1500 acres. It is a nice array of different topography though. Some very rough and rugged treed hillsides, some lowland wet areas and some open plains type stuff. A really neat mix of land types. It is bow only and no rifles allowed.

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Nice report Tom. You painted a good rendition of what to expect. Looks like you had some fun. Good job.

Great write up and awesome hunt! Congratulations on some fine animals and of course the stick bow is possibly the ultimate challenge. Seems you had an awesome time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aimee21Z02

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles