Son's first hog hunt

Patton63

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I mentioned in the "What trips are you taking" thread that I would be taking my son on his first hunting trips this year. Well, as we just returned from the mountains of West Virginia and his first hog hunt, I thought I would give a quick report. We hiked the mountains for about two hours in the morning on the day of the hunt before coming across our first pigs - about 20 boars, does, and piglets running through the woods. We took stock of where we were and where we thought they were heading and moved to cut them off. About 20 minutes later, my son grabbed my sleeve and pointed up the mountain. About 85 yards away was a group of four hogs making their way through the trees. Thank goodness for his young eyes, or we may never have seen them. We glassed them for a while to see if "his" pig was in that group. Once I made sure that his background was clear (no other hunters in site), I told him it was his choice as to whether he wanted to take one of these or continue the stalk. He stared intently at the group for a few more minutes and, after lowering his binoculars simply said that he found "the one." At that point, I stood back and watched him follow the pig as it moved through the trees. He went from tree to tree trying to get an angle and a clean shot. Eventually, he found the stump of a felled tree that gave him a clear view of the pig. One shot later, the hog was down cleanly - it didn't take a single step. It was the first animal he has taken with a rifle. I could not have been happier for him or prouder of him and how responsibly, ethically, and safely he handled himself. There is something immensely special about being able to hunt with your child - to see him try, fall, get up, and ultimately succeed. It was a great couple of days.

And, since nothing happens without photos, here are a couple pics:

dsc_0461-jpg.180093

dsc_0464-jpg.180094

Attachments

Big pig!! Well done, congrats to your son!

Congratulations, all around.

Congrats! That pig looks like its about the same size as your son! Well done by the young hunter!

Fine hog! Great job!

Nice pig!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Very nice pig! Congrats to the young hunter and his dad!

Congratulations to both of you. The best news is that most likely each of you has found a hunting buddy for life. I know that "button popping feeling" you had when he dropped the hog. I'm currently getting it from my grandkids. Life is not all bad. BTW that was a nice hog.

Congratulations..... Come to Texas. Shoot all you want!

Way to go! Great hog and congrats on him on a one shot kill. Bruce

Nice pig, congrats to the young hunter and the proud father !

Nice pig and what a great first hunt with your son. I bet his is ready to go again to.

Awesome pig and very unique looking. I don't have a child but can honestly say I do enjoy taking my nephew hunting more then doing it myself.

Mind sharing who or where you hunted?

Nice. @Patton63 - you know what we say down here when you've killed a pig?

Nice warm-up. ;)

We may not see a lot as large as the one your son killed, but you will see them by the dozens.

Come on down here, but bring lots of ammo.

He hasn't stopped talking about the trip since we got home (and it whet his appetite for our trip to RSA in June). So, I think it is safe to say that my son and I are happy to travel to wherever hogs need to be eradicated and do our share. Just let me know where to come!!

Yep nice hog!

Nice! I've hog hunted and bear hunted with both of my sons. It's just the best!

Nice hog. Congrat to your Son. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrisEichel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!