Jeffrey Masters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA, Mexico, Lower 48, Alaska
I am thinking about having some of my skulls done European and mounted on a shield. DOes anyone have something similar to this? Anyone have pictures of a similar piece? Any thoughts on how it would look, or am I crazy? Thanks!

I like how they look. I took these pictures at the taxidermist handling my trophies in Namibia. For the euro mounts I am having them do it (dip and pack all the shoulder mount parts), so I took these pictures to help pick the shield color.
IMG_4442.jpeg
IMG_4441.jpeg
IMG_4444.jpeg

This is my entire plan other than a Zebra rug.

I like the look and fits in with my theme.

I like the looks of the shield.

However, I've just been pricing a bleached skull mount with a hanger on it and a bleached skull mounted directly on a shield. The difference in price is $100 plus with the shield being more expensive. I'm wondering if I wouldn't do better just getting the bleached skull and then deciding if I want to put it on a wooden plaque or shield after it arrives. I know I can pick up the pre-made wooden shield for much less here in the US. I should say I'm looking at the prices for a springbuck and a hartebeest and not some of the more exotic shields with 2-3 skulls on it.

I am a big fan of mixing Euros and traditional taxidermy. The plaque upon which they are mounted can make a big difference. Generally, I prefer the traditional German / Austrian look to the full skull mount that has become popular in this country. Maybe they should be called Americos or something. I particularly don't care for the angled look. However, it is all about personal taste and you should do what fits your environment. By the way, I do all of my antlered game as Euros.

Fallow stag prepared by a Austrian taxidermist using a traditional Baroque style plaque.
Fallow Deer Stag European Mount Taxidermy

Warthog tusks on traditional Germanic plaques.
Warthog plaques

Red Stag, Chamois, and European wild boar
IMG_0249 (1).jpg

I think they work together well with normal taxidermy, furniture, art, and other collectables.
trophy2.jpg

trophy6.jpg

Trophy1.jpg

Attachments

• trophy7.jpg
    trophy7.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
I am a big fan of mixing Euros and traditional taxidermy. The plaque upon which they are mounted can make a big difference. Generally, I prefer the traditional German / Austrian look to the full skull mount that has become popular in this country. Maybe they should be called Americos or something. I particularly don't care for the angled look. However, it is all about personal taste and you should do what fits your environment. By the way, I do all of my antlered game as Euros.

Fallow stag prepared by a Austrian taxidermist using a traditional Baroque style plaque.
Fallow Deer Stag European Mount Taxidermy

Warthog tusks on traditional Germanic plaques.
Warthog plaques

Red Stag, Chamois, and European wild boar
View attachment 619701

I think they work together well with normal taxidermy, furniture, art, and other collectables.
View attachment 619702
View attachment 619704
View attachment 619705

I like this setup with the green and woodwork combo. If I get a black wildebeest , that’ll be a euro mount for sure.

Now goes to paint the reloading room green..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HayleyGair

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.