Skull pick ups. Does any one pick them up?

Soutie18

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
S.A Veldsport Association Archery edge Club 3di archer
Hunted
South africa and Namibia
Does any one like Shed hunting or antler hunting or horn hunting
Unique aspect of hunting
Enjoyable to find a trophy or unique trophy or species

IMG-20230430-WA0069.jpeg
IMG-20230430-WA0075.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I pick them here in the US, but don't know if others pick them up in other places around the world. I'm interested to hear from others.

Always on the look out here at home but in Africa most outfitters did not let me take when we found skulls, horns. But I do have some snake shed skins, including an 11 ft black mamba from last year.

Will be interesting to read what others do.

MB

We chase shed antlers a bit. It’s a fun thing to do before fishing gets good and if I don’t have a turkey tag. Dead heads only picked up with permission from fish and game. I like Wyoming better, they will tag them (deadheads) and let you keep them for $10, they even made an app to make it easy for you.
IMG_7701.jpeg

My hunting buddy found a great set of duiker horns/skull in the eastern cape. They were well over 5" each horn.

In my travels I’ve picked up common reedbuck in Mozambique, found a blue wildebeest and nyala skull in the eastern cape and in northwest province a kudu and gemsbok. I didn’t try to get any of them home but wish I would have. Of course I pick up any whitetail sheds I find here in the states.

Non hunting companion picked up a warthog and a hartebeest skulls in Namibia this year. I am having them shipped with my other trophy’s. She is pretty proud of them and can’t wait to get them on her wall.

I keep most whitetail skulls I find with horns, I had my eyes open in Africa but never spotted any while there.

I found a nice springbuck skull and a very nice kudu skull on two different safaris. I have them both. I've seen a lot of other skulls and horns but they had screw worms(?) in the horns and messed them up too much to keep. I'll always ask the PH if I can take them if they look good

I’ve got sheds, and a Coues and Javelina. I found an oryx dead head at White Sands, but I didn’t feel like going through the trouble of getting it home.

BB5F3D5A-1D80-42E8-A561-A0DFC6E1BBE9.jpeg

PH of mine found a springbok skull on our last day and dropped it off back at camp. It was probably a 15”.

I collect skulls & pickup many types, Africa the horns are damaged very fast from the worms that's if Hyena & Jackals haven't chewed the front half off !

I found Hippo & huge Eland in the Caprivi but when I was checked at the Red Line control gate I lost them.

Found a dead Wolverine in Alaska & the Game Department gave me a tag for it at no charge back then .

Sorry for the thread hijack, but how does one prevent horn moth from attacking the horns during the taxidermy stage? We saw piles of horns at the taxidermist that were just waiting to be finished (including ours). Here in the states I treat every one of my mounts (including turkeys, deer, etc) with liquid pesticides as I have had issues with bugs eating my turkey tails before. Do we need to be worried about our stuff when it arrives from Africa (will be fully finished by taxidermists over there)? The pics posted earlier are a bit scary.
@Soutie18, yes, I would never leave a piece of horn or antler in the woods.

I have found many animals locked together dead as well, manly Deer (Fallow & lots of Rusa) but Goats, Sheep saw a pic of two Cape Buffalo locked together .

Found these guys locked together.

IMG_5677.JPG

Sorry for the thread hijack, but how does one prevent horn moth from attacking the horns during the taxidermy stage? We saw piles of horns at the taxidermist that were just waiting to be finished (including ours). Here in the states I treat every one of my mounts (including turkeys, deer, etc) with liquid pesticides as I have had issues with bugs eating my turkey tails before. Do we need to be worried about our stuff when it arrives from Africa (will be fully finished by taxidermists over there)? The pics posted earlier are a bit scary.
@Soutie18, yes, I would never leave a piece of horn or antler in the woods.
I usually use citronella oil rub it down not to much and i lay them on my shed roof

I have found many animals locked together dead as well, manly Deer (Fallow & lots of Rusa) but Goats, Sheep saw a pic of two Cape Buffalo locked together .

Found these guys locked together.

View attachment 554874
Thank you for sharing @Sarg!

Check out these two threads:

What have you pick up
I'm very curious to find out

Thank you Jerome, that will be the one, yes I also found two Rusa Stags lock together, one was dead & very rotten, the live Stag was dragging him about, I thought about shooting him but seemed unfair to kill the winner, I also thought another couple of days & the dead Stags head may pull off ?

Unhooked Wild Goats before but they are less likely to put me in Hospital !

This looks like Northern Japan with a Sika Stag & a opposing combatants head in his, he will be happy in the spring when both sets of antlers fall off his head !

I collect skulls & pickup many types, Africa the horns are damaged very fast from the worms that's if Hyena & Jackals haven't chewed the front half off !

I found Hippo & huge Eland in the Caprivi but when I was checked at the Red Line control gate I lost them.

Found a dead Wolverine in Alaska & the Game Department gave me a tag for it at no charge back then .
Did you drive up from Windhoek ? if so how long was the trip ? Thinking of doing that next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?