Single Bevel Broadhead vs Double Bevel--test vid

Bowhuntr64

AH fanatic
Joined
Aug 31, 2012
Messages
503
Reaction score
450
Location
Palmer Lake, CO
Website
www.youtube.com
Media
16
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Canada, Philippines, USA, South Africa, Argentina
I just did a bit of testing of a single bevel broadhead vs a double bevel. Check it out. Hope it's helpful.

 
Bowhuntr64,

Interesting and informative as always.... You mentioned that you tested 125 grain heads comparatively. However, unless I missed it, I didn't hear you mention the total arrow weight and the front of center (FOC) weight distribution on the test arrows.

According to the most recent data, inclusive of Ashby's latest testing, the true benefits of the single-bevel design do not really reveal themselves until the total arrow weight is north of 600 grains and the FOC is in the 19-30% range. That heavier arrow, in combination with a significant FOC build, are supposed to be the two most prominent factors that create the most desirable single-bevel design performance characteristics of splitting bone, spiral cutting, and overall penetration. Even Ashby noted that the benefits of the single-bevel design were significantly less prominent with lighter arrows and less FOC.

Additionally, the single-bevel design forces immediate arrow rotation just as if you had right (or left) helical front fletches that, in theory, result in better downrange accuracy especially with higher FOC builds...

I would be very interested to see what your side-by-side penetration results would be with arrows of at least 600 grains, and 25% or more of FOC. I would also be very interested to see the comparison in the groups you can shoot out to 30-40-50 yards and beyond... Maybe something to consider for single-bevel vs. double-bevel Part-2...?

Some very interesting recent data on this subject for those who have not yet seen it in the link below:

https://dangercloseoutdoors.com/12-factors
 
Very good comment above. Thank you! I understand that about the heavier arrows and higher FOC. I will be using much heavier tips in my Buffalo hunt next year. The arrow in this vid was 650 gr and the FOC was just over 16%.
 
Have you ever did any penetration tests with the same coc head that one head had a light coat of vaseline or other lube on the cutting edge ?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,330
Messages
1,573,188
Members
169,721
Latest member
descselfgare1983
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top