AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
newzealandsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
New Zealand Professional guides assoc, Safari Club international, Dallas Safari Club, Wild sheep foundation, Houston Safari Club, SCI Master Measurer
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, Canada, U.S.A
Sika Deer Hunt New Zealand

Sika Deer

full

A cunning trophy to hunt!

Typical antlers have 8 points and this species has a long rutting season which extends from mid-April until June.

full

Sika deer were established in the central North Island of New Zealand, from a single release of six animals at Merrylees Clearing in the Kaimanawa Range in 1905, gifted by the Duke of Beford.

rusasikasambardetail.png

Sika have a red orange colored coat with spots and white rump they weigh between 150-240 lbs. A cunning deer similar to that of a whitetail they inhabit native manuka and timber for most of the day venturing out in the evenings to late morning. Sika deer stags are highly vocal species, with over 10 individual sounds, ranging from soft whistles to loud screams.

Trophy antler formation is generally typical 4x4 formation with 30+ inch main beams which is how New Zealand hunting guides judge them, these deer are very exciting to hunt. We use tree stands, blinds, calling and stalking to hunt these deer with shot ranges from 40-150 yard shots bow hunting is possible.

full

full

full

full

full

New Zealand deer hunts can be combined with sambar and rusa deer also in the North Island, and with any of the main species in the South Island with a short one hour commercial flight. We can stay in a New Zealand hunting lodge or hunting cabin depending on the private property while sika deer hunting.

The sika deer rut is similar to that of the red stag, fallow buck and elk in the month of late March though April, although we hunt them from February through August.

Sika Deer by New Zealand Safaris posted Feb 28, 2019 at 12:46 AM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]