Show Your Custom Rifles With Granite Mountain Arms Actions

JD Noblin

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Tanzania, South Africa, Natal, England, Australia, South America, Canada (New Foundland, British Columbia)
I bet the members of this forum have some fantastic custom rifles build on the Granite Mountain Arms action. Post up your GMA rifle and tell us a little about it.

Below is what I call my "heavy plains game" rifle in 338 Norma Magnum. It's built on a GMA African Magnum action with a 24" McGowan barrel milled into a sporter octagon barrel. The wood is Turkish Walnut and the action finish is rust blue with screw heads, extractor claw and trigger in nitre-blue. The bolt shroud, pistol grip cap, and rings are color-cased. The action has accent engraving and some minor gold lines. This rifle shoots a 250gr Northfork soft at 3015fps. I've taken a variety of plains game with it with 99% of the animals dropping to the shot, including eland.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg
7.jpeg
9.jpeg
10.jpeg
11.jpeg
13.jpeg
14.jpeg
17.jpeg
18.jpeg
21.jpeg
23.jpeg
24.jpeg
25.jpeg
26.jpeg
26a.jpeg
28.jpeg
31.jpeg

Very nicely executed. Congratulations!

View attachment 628724View attachment 628725
My matching set of GMA actions. 505 Gibbs & 375 H&H.

HH
Those look great! Love the color-cased actions! Can you tell us more about the 505 and your hunts with it?

I don't own a 505 but am thinking about building one. My favorite safari writer is John A. Hunter and one of two cartridges he loved the most was a 505 Gibbs (the other being a 500 Nitro Express).

Top is Dennis Olson 416 Rigby, serial #0096, action from the Prescott AZ location. Bottom unknown maker, very early rifle sold through Empire Rifles, East African Model, 500 Jeffery,pictured in Terri Weilands Book of Big Game Rifles.

GMA Rifles.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
1.jpg

Folding peep sight.JPG

Eland1.jpeg

Buff1-3.jpg

404 Jeffery - Magnum length, LH, small ring GM action, Pacnor barrel, weighs 9/14 made by Reto Buehler. Taken buff and eland.

My GMA double square bridge Mauser in 404 Jeffery. Don’t actually know which smith built it, but am told the stock was done by Joe Smithson. Feeds like a charm and is sub minute with Swift factory 400 gr A-frames.

IMG_4137.png
IMG_4139.png
IMG_4140.png
IMG_4141.png
IMG_4142.png

My GMA double square bridge Mauser in 404 Jeffery. Don’t actually know which smith built it, but am told the stock was done by Joe Smithson. Feeds like a charm and is sub minute with Swift factory 400 gr A-frames.

View attachment 628892View attachment 628893View attachment 628894View attachment 628895View attachment 628896
I really like the grain of your stock. Nice mixture of streaking with incredibly straight grain. The whole rifle is very business-like. It was made to be a rifle that's used instead of simply admired. It would not surprise me to see something like this on the shoulder of a PH tracking buffalo. Well done.

Many thanks @BeeMaa - I feel the same way, but you still made my day! When I took it into Matt at Hill Country Rifles to have the scope mounted, he said the craftsmanship was on par with our very top-gunmakers and also made your exact same comment about the stock having the proper grain for maximum strength. I appreciate your thoughts.

505 Gibbs, GMA African Magnum, Krieger Barrel, Bastogne Walnut
24" Barrel 14.5" LOP with a 1/4" cast, 11lbs empty 11.5 Loaded 3 down one up, Sights filed in for 30yards Built by Mark Peterson Vt....
August 2022 Roger Whittall Safari Humani Zimbabwe
Tuskless Ele
Cape Buffalo
Bush Pig
IMG_0814.jpeg
IMG_9362 (1).jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2256.jpeg
IMG_2327.jpeg
IMG_2461.jpeg
IMG_1451.jpeg

Beautiful rifles, all. Had a chance to stop by Matt Robert's shop in VT earlier this year (MNR Customs). He's doing quite a bit on GMA actions. I keep weighing one of his Hatari rifles in .416 Rigby or .404 Jeff vs another safari....

Those are some nice varmint rifles, boys.

I kid. All are beautifully done. . . and much more practical.

IMG_8700.jpeg
IMG_8699.jpeg
IMG_8697.jpeg
IMG_8696.jpeg
IMG_8695.jpeg
IMG_8694.jpeg

That's a real show piece (cannon) you got there @RR 314 - absolutely love the grain and the scrolling!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B1gT3x

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]