Acopperdawg

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
I have a question for the board. Has anyone ever taken a shoulder mount and later had it redone as a euro/horn mount? I ask because I have limited space in my house. I thought my first trip to Namibia would be my one and only, but I have since been to Tanzania and have a deposit in on a hunt in Zambia. I have a shoulder mount of an eland and a kudu for example. They are both nice, but I would not say they are stunning. The eland for example was not particularly old or have a huge mop of hair, but stretched the tape at nearly 33 inches. My first Kudu is just over 50, but has a very bland cape as it was not breeding season and has light colored horns. We were in hot pursuit of a 37" plus eland on my last trip and it got me thinking about what I would do if I connected on this monster. So I ask the question, has anyone taken replaced a smaller specimen with a larger one by having a taxidermist redo the smaller shoulder mount to a Euro (more likely an horn mount because of the skull plate) to make way for the larger specimen?

Changing a shoulder mount to a cap mount (horns on a plaque) is very easily accomplished. The most affordable option for sure. Mckenzie sells fake skulls for euro mounts. Even for African animals. I have used their fake skulls for deer and moose euro mounts. They turned out "okay". The moose was a HUGE amount of work. I think my daughter billed $500 for that job and we lost money big time after all the hours I put into it.

You could also ask the taxidermist over there if he has extra skulls to sell (if it's possible to sell them without trophy fee/license).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensonchem

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?