Shotgun bead

Sharing246

AH member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question. I put a front bead on my old stevens 96c. I filed the inside pretty flush, just wondering how flush does it need to be? I can’t lay the file flat with the barrel because of the full choke.

The bead base protrudes through the barrel wall? :oops:

Yeah it did on those old guns. Take the bead back out, file it down to the proper length, and reinstall it. I would not try to file it in the barrel.

If you are using that shotgun for wingshooting or clays, you are better off without a bead on your shotgun. Many coaches for clay shooting will actually remove beads for beginners. You should NOT be looking at the barrel when shooting at moving targets. Shooting turkeys is different.

So, to your question: I'm trying to figure out what is actually the problem. Are you saying the bead's threaded post has protruded through the barrel into the bore? Did you drill that hole? Stevens should not have drilled through the barrel. Is this a home defense cut down the barrel affair? Doubtful since you think it's full choke but if so, then again no need for a bead on a door crasher so just get rid of it. To trim down the bead post you could use a rattail (round) file. I wouldn't worry too much about scratches in the bore. Those shotguns were little more than a club right out of the factory. You won't be hurting the resale value. Because they don't have any resale value. A few scratches won't hurt the full choke. Just use care. A Dremel tool with a narrow grinding wheel bit would be ideal but I'm thinking you probably don't have one.

If you are using that shotgun for wingshooting or clays, you are better off without a bead on your shotgun. Many coaches for clay shooting will actually remove beads for beginners. You should NOT be looking at the barrel when shooting at moving targets. Shooting turkeys is different.

So, to your question: I'm trying to figure out what is actually the problem. Are you saying the bead's threaded post has protruded through the barrel into the bore? Did you drill that hole? Stevens should not have drilled through the barrel. Is this a home defense cut down the barrel affair? Doubtful since you think it's full choke but if so, then again no need for a bead on a door crasher so just get rid of it. To trim down the bead post you could use a rattail (round) file. I wouldn't worry too much about scratches in the bore. Those shotguns were little more than a club right out of the factory. You won't be hurting the resale value. Because they don't have any resale value. A few scratches won't hurt the full choke. Just use care. A Dremel tool with a narrow grinding wheel bit would be ideal but I'm thinking you probably don't have one.

Many old guns were drilled all the way through, not at all unusual. The stem just needs to be filed down with the bead out of the barrel.

Many old guns were drilled all the way through, not at all unusual. The stem just needs to be filed down with the bead out of the barrel.
Easier said than done. How does one hang onto a tiny bead and file it? Put the round bead in a vice and it's not going to be round any longer. I would use Dremel tool and grinding wheel while holding the bead. When it gets too hot to handle, stop and let it cool down. Or just trim it off mounted on the barrel. If this was a valuable antique, it would be a different story. But we are talking about a single shot Stevens. Who would care if there's a few scratches in the bore? Or even badly scratched? One of those guns pitted to hell would still kill rabbits just fine. OP should not be shooting steel with that gun in any event. Not with full choke. Get the choke opened to modified by a gunsmith if he wants to hunt waterfowl. But that would probably cost more than the gun is worth.

This isn’t complicated but can be screwed up pretty easily.

Do as @WAB says. Remove it, file it, test fit and continue until it’s flush. Do your best to get it properly flush then blue Loctite in place. Do not use red Loctite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NQOWendi88

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles