Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Do you shoot. And where
IMG_4989.jpeg

the red dot,a little bit deeper and only a solid .
Yellow -no, easy to hurt the nose,difficult to judge what happens then
blue-dont do that.You only shoot through one lungwing. That's enough for trouble, but nothing more.

It won't stay like this for long and it will become a snapshot
Be prepared for a search.
I've already been through this exact situation.
It was exciting.
Foxi.

Red only. @Foxi is sound is his logic that only a solid bullet should be used for this angle. That said, I’ve managed to down one Cape buffalo with this exact shot, by using a 300Gr Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw soft point.

This and worse is a more realistic shot often given to us. compared to the other two I posted

And as you said, you don’t have long to think about it either.

Red - and a Swift A-Frame would be perfect. But I wouldn't take it with a howitzer through that brush.

Based upon my self confidence, I would tell the PH I was uncomfortable and wait for a better presentation or walk away.

For a first shot...no. I've passed on many of those with zero regrets. You can get a better shot with patience or another day. If he's wounded, I'm shooting.

The last seven posts all share the same point or similar. Unless wounded no one is willing to take that shot. African bush (timber, branches) are a damn sight tougher, drier than what we are used to. Any bullet fired contacting some of that will deflect, guaranteed.
Been there done that, lots of tracking afterwards. There is also being inwardly shamefaced with yourself for wounding an animal and causing it unnecessary suffering.
Fellow I was hunting 2 on 1 with did this. Never found the blue wildebeest. Actually he never touched it.
IMG_0225.jpeg

A blurry photo can make a shot look worse than it is too. With a scoped rifle there will likely be an opening less than 50 yards (probably 20 yards in this case). If the PH says shoot I’ll shoot red with an A Frame or TBBC. If PH says to shoot for brain I’ll take a headshot. If PH says wait I’ll wait. I always discuss back up shots with my PH too. If they feel the need, I have no problem if they put a shot in as well. I think too many expect picture perfect.

Shooting a scoped rifle makes a big difference. This is worst shot for brush I’ve ever taken, but I could pick out a small opening as eland came through at about 75 yards out beyond where the photo appears to end. You can see bullet on shoulder. That shot resulted in first eland taken in 10 years the outfitter had concession.
IMG_5044.jpeg
IMG_5045.jpeg

Too many twigs and an angle I don’t like. I would wait it out. After you take either the red or the blue he is going to run away and you will be left with a shrinking stomach wondering where the bullet really went. Save the buffalo some suffering, save yourself some anxiety and possibly save a lot of time and money. I would wait.
I did like Brickburns suggestion if the ph is okay with it.

I shot through brush once, I won't do it again
I had multiples recently on a hunt that I wouldn't take. With patience, I got a better shot and great results. I rarely take a shot that I'm not certain of...and the few times I did were lucky and I don't want to do that again. I've seen a lot of guys that can't sleep in camp after taking bad shots and that's just miserable. I'm not there to suffer or cause suffering. Hunting is supposed to be fun.

Do you shoot. And where View attachment 619225
Read my story about this on another post.

Just had this happen to me in Zambia looking for leopard bait. I wouldn't take any of those shots at that angle you posted. On a steady rest under 30 yards. Right between the eyes. Their heads are huge through a scope at that distance. But again its all about your shooting sticks.
1720800413541.png

I've seen the smallest twig (unseen to the eye) totally deflect a 400 grain bullet and miss a whole eland at close range. Even scarier is hitting one who knows where and having that nightmare unfold for hours or days. This is one of the reasons why I use and propose to others that they use good optics wherever possible. I've done plenty of hunts with iron sights but I'm much more comfortable using optics. You often have to pick a path through on a small patch of animal. I will share about this in my upcoming hunt report on a bushbuck. Those little guys will put this scenario to the test almost every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephanieC

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available