Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Blue

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Yellow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Shoot

Votes: 30 60.0%

• Total voters
Not for me. If I don't take the crappy shot, I don't have to pay the big trophy fee. Oh well. Still been a great experience getting that close to a big old bull. Next time it should be a better less risky shot.

It's one thing to take risky bad shots at deer through the brush, but a seventeen hundred pound behemoth possibly bent on stomping me into a steamy pile of hamburger? I've been known to live life on the edge, but jumping over on purpose is ... really dumb. Someone with four degrees is not supposed to act really dumb. Just a little dumb ... on special occasions. :D

in a word "nope" too much brush. better to not get a shot off than to chase a wounded animal for days!
nobody knows where the bullet will ACTUALLY hit after clipping that brush in front of the bull, so, that shot is a pass.

2023 I took two shots that my PH called but I didn't feel good with either. One resulted in me shooting a tree and the other was a clean miss. In hindsight I knew both were bad shots. In 2024 I told my PH no twice. He sort of got irritated on the second one, I pulled him over showed him my view from two feet away. Brush in the way and a bad angle, a couple feet can make a big difference. I pulled the trigger 7 times and 7 animals were in the salt.

This reply here is so important! You are responsible for the shot calling. If you are not comfortable then don't take it. PHs get so frustrated when you can't see the shot but it's not always the same as their angle. If you feel unduly pressured to take the shot, then don't take it! I know what it's like to have a PH pressuring to shoot...shoot...but it's up to you to take the shot you are comfortable with. Having said that, sometimes clients are really slow to shoot and that's a problem too. My job is #1 gun safety...#2 be prepared to shoot quickly and calmly from the sticks...#3 own the shot and if it's not good, then don't do it.

2023 I took two shots that my PH called but I didn't feel good with either. One resulted in me shooting a tree and the other was a clean miss. In hindsight I knew both were bad shots. In 2024 I told my PH no twice. He sort of got irritated on the second one, I pulled him over showed him my view from two feet away. Brush in the way and a bad angle, a couple feet can make a big difference. I pulled the trigger 7 times and 7 animals were in the salt.
In 2016, my first animal in Mozambique I took a chest on shot at a Hartebeest. I was uncomfortable with it, but shot at the PHs encouragement. 4 hours later I got another shot on it and it went down. I shot poorly the overall for the hunt. I didn't really calm down until my buffalo on the last day. I will no longer feel pressured and will raise my voice if uncomfortable.

Pass - I had a little bit of a rushed shot on my buff in 2022, clear shot at 40 yards but a bit rushed. Held on the shoulder and squeezed off a round with my 404J. Felt like a good shot but as he hauled ass back into the mopani my PH asked me where I was holding and if I hit the shoulder. I thought I did but you are never 100%. We waited a bit and then started tracking - you really start to question where your shot landed and what lies ahead ready to eat your lunch. Very nervous stalk for the next 30-45 minutes through the thick stuff and we finally spotted him when he got up on his feet 12 yards away I put 3 more into him (all vital shots) at a rather fast pace. My first shot was good - broke the shoulder and into a lung but not enough damage to quickly finish him. I was very surprised at how tough those jokers are - I won’t be shooting any buff (first shot) if it’s a marginal call.

Keep these coming please! I have a buff hunt coming up and I’m loving the conversation.

If I was close and feeling confident, a head shot. Otherwise pass.

Id not take this shot unless it was a follow up on a wounded one then red.
Reasons for not taking shot twigs in the foreground and can see what’s behind. Could be the whole herd back there. One deflected round and your day may just get really interesting.

I shot a buffalo at 10 yards between the eyes, as he was charging. Fell in his tracks, but then bounced right back up. I shot him 3 more times, all in the boilermaker. The bullet went under his brain and out his neck due to the angle. It retrospect, in the center of the boss would have been best.

head shot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PearleneJu

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available