Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Hunted
U.S.A. South africa
I got a message the other day saying that my taxidermy is ready to crate. What is the approximate time line from crating to delivery from johannesburg to the US. The crating company is scheduled for Nov 2.

Assuming there is CITIES permit needed it should not take more than a week for a shipping company to get your crate on a plane. In route transit on Ethiopian Airlines for me recently took 4 days, from Windhoek. Getting US Customs to clear it has taken 2 days -8 days. 8 days was the most recent but it included a leopard which may or may not accounted for the longer delay. Hope that helps.

Yes I used a different company this go round so they didn't apply for permits until I paid and that can take 7-20 days I was told. Shipping company cannot give a true estimate until they have crate in their possession due to measurements and weight is how freight is calculated. And getting shipping company to retrieve crate depending on where it is in relation to JNB could take couple of weeks.

This spurs a question within me. How much less money and more time is it to go with Sea rather than Air? Half the money, triple the time?

Another similar question. How long is it taking for dip and packing nowadays?

My June hunt finished dip and pack in three months roughly and is sitting with the shipper now waiting for Turkish Airlines to pick it up. The shipment has been rescheduled 3 times so far by Turkish due to heavy volume. The shipper said that this is pretty normal this time of year due to volume. Now scheduled to leave JNB tomorrow and arrive Seattle on Thursday, we’ll see if it makes it out this week. Fortunately Coppersmith does a good job in my experience staying on top of it, they update me every time the shipping date pushes and stay on top of the shipper in SA for updates.

Hmm.... Ok. Thanks. I hunted the first week of May and am still waiting for the dip and pack. I think I will contact them.

Not sure for US but my D&P crate, (with a big 5 and 5 CITES) that was booked to ship 14 Oct, Joberg to Vancouver thru Istanbul on Turkish Air, left this morning 5 PM their time on first leg. Turkish air bumped 4 or 5 times due to "various" reasons. Fine print on contract allows basically ship when they want. Fingers crossed its in Van Thursday as stated. I am thinking mine and @MontanaPat stuff may be on same plane.

Between D&P, tanning my croc, requested delay by me for 6 weeks due to "more hunting", permits, delay of permits, more delay of permits and now Turkish its been a humbling long experience. Hunt ended Sept 2021.

MB

I hunted early May, have had my crate for 3 weeks or so. Impalas had to dry 90 days I think since the horns don’t come off. What you shoot can delay shipping.

Crate went to African Trophy Exports yesterday. Its getting closer
IMG-20231102-WA0000.jpg

One consideration is how close it is to the Christmas and New Years holidays. Many of the workers will be on extended vacation during this time period. This affects crating, permitting, and shipping. In my case, the trophies were ready during the first week of November, but due to the holiday schedules they did not actually leave the dip & pack facility until March, and then shipped (air transport) in April.

The ongoing (at that time) COVID situation undoubtedly affected the timelines; hopefully yours will be shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxseb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?