AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
Let ,me start of by saying I am not a handy man, so the "Just make it yourself" approach is NOT an option for me. I will be doing my 1st Safari in RSA in 2024. My hope is to have most of my trophies mounted on floor pedestals. I like some of these new floor pedestals I am seeing that look like African shields with spears. I also like the floor pedestal with the space in it for the backskin of the animal. My question is about the cost of these items. How much are they to purchase in RSA? And, how much do they add to your shipping bill if I were to want 3 floor pedestals shipped back to the USA?

I'd think the most cost-effective route would be to buy the pedestals here. You can order straight from McKenzie, Van Dyke's, etc. and I've even seen a few on eBay and Etsy. Attaching the hide is really easy with a couple of YouTube videos. Don't count yourself out.... it's way easier than people think.

I’m buying the pedestal in the US and will mount my Sable on it once it arrives from Bullseye Taxidermy in SA. The cost of shipping the pedestal is too much. The Sable comes mounted on a treaded pipe that attaches via a hole in the top of the pedestal. I believe I’m up to that task!

These are still available and negotiable. I'd have them shipped to you.

I'd think the most cost-effective route would be to buy the pedestals here. You can order straight from McKenzie, Van Dyke's, etc. and I've even seen a few on eBay and Etsy. Attaching the hide is really easy with a couple of YouTube videos. Don't count yourself out.... it's way easier than people think.

First off - thanks for responding to me. I went to both sites that you suggested. Neither had the Africa type shield and spears etc. A Generic octagon shaped pedestal base is $800 and that does not include the shipping. Honest question - do you really think that is cheaper than what they would cost to purchase in Africa plus the amount it would add to the shipping bill? And as far as selling myself short... I literally have nevr even out a screw into a piece of wood - thats what we are dealing with here

Last edited by a moderator:
These are still available and negotiable. I'd have them shipped to you.

How would one attach a mount to it?

I’m buying the pedestal in the US and will mount my Sable on it once it arrives from Bullseye Taxidermy in SA. The cost of shipping the pedestal is too much. The Sable comes mounted on a treaded pipe that attaches via a hole in the top of the pedestal. I believe I’m up to that task!
I'm seeing just the pedestal in the US is 800 bucks and that does not include shipping. Is that really cheaper than buying them from Africa and adding them to a shipping crate that already has to come to you anyways?

Shipping from Africa is a combination of volume or size and weight. And yes it is prohibitively expensive to ship a 38 inch tall 14 inch and circumference pedestal in the box with your trophies.

I'm seeing just the pedestal in the US is 800 bucks and that does not include shipping. Is that really cheaper than buying them from Africa and adding them to a shipping crate that already has to come to you anyways?
800 for a pedestal in the US is a complete and utter rip off! I have had pedestals for many animals built in the past for around 100-200.

800 for a pedestal in the US is a complete and utter rip off! I have had pedestals for many animals built in the past for around 100-200.
All I did was go to the 2 sites that the responder mentioned and looked up the prices of the bases. I don’t see any base worthy of mounting an African trophy on for 100-200 dollars.

All I did was go to the 2 sites that the responder mentioned and looked up the prices of the bases. I don’t see any base worthy of mounting an African trophy on for 100-200 dollars.
Never buy from a box store for bases. Find someone who builds them and purchase directly from them. They are cheaper and of much higher quality. I have built a couple myself as well and its not difficult. I can also promise you, I wouldn't have anything with any animal on it that looked like crap. Every pedestal in my house looks great and I could combine all of them and still not have 800 in it.

Never buy from a box store for bases. Find someone who builds them and purchase directly from them. They are cheaper and of much higher quality. I have built a couple myself as well and its not difficult. I can also promise you, I wouldn't have anything with any animal on it that looked like crap. Every pedestal in my house looks great and I could combine all of them and still not have 800 in it.
You are very fortunate that you know people who can do that type of stuff. I assure you I know of nobody that can do stuff like that (I truly wished I lived in Louisiana instead of Maryland). I basically have 2 options. 1) Buy from a box store or 2) Buy in Africa and pay to ship back home. I'm just trying to find out which one of those 2 is cheaper.

Find a local cabinet shop and go talk to them. Simple ones out of a common wood and plywood shouldn't be too much. The better the wood the more expensive it is going to get.

I had 3 of them shipped from SA, hind sight is 20/20. Get with you taxidermy people and ask how they are going to attach. Have something build you some in the states. You will be money ahead, is it a great big savings? When it is all said and done I would have probably knocked 1500 off my total bill of 3 of them by the time it was all said and done. If that if not enough to worry about, make your choice.

look into Gizmo at Top of Texas taxidermy, I think he will build you a spear and shield pedestal. I had a floor pedestal built in RSA for my roan and it didn’t add much to the crate. African taxidermist are masters at space management in the crates.

Your pedestals mounts should come with a threaded rod or square tubing through the brisket. Drill a hole in the top of the pedestal, get one where the top comes off for easier access. Attach with a nut to the threaded rod. The biggest mistake I see is people attaching the mounts to the pedestals crooked. The eyes should be level to the floor unless there is a very unusual action taking place.

In a quality base using hardwoods, you probably will not find one for less than $600. The crazier the shape or emblems etc will be more.

Your pedestals mounts should come with a threaded rod or square tubing through the brisket. Drill a hole in the top of the pedestal, get one where the top comes off for easier access. Attach with a nut to the threaded rod. The biggest mistake I see is people attaching the mounts to the pedestals crooked. The eyes should be level to the floor unless there is a very unusual action taking place.

In a quality base using hardwoods, you probably will not find one for less than $600. The crazier the shape or emblems etc will be more.
As much as I appreciate your reply and help, I have never "drilled a hole" in my life. I don't want this to be my first time. Unfortunately I am entirely dependant on others to do such things.

I have had a few built of Old barn wood and one recently built out of blue ponderosa pine and they were nowhere near 600 a peice. I am in the wrong business. I am gone start building pedestals and selling them!

o_Oo_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesireeBet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?