Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Armstrong Fish and Game Club
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
Folks, my wife and I are most likely going to sell our current place and downsize next year, so we are considering what to keep and what to disperse. I will most likely sell most of my trophies from Africa and a few from North America. Is there a demand for this sort of thing? Where or how?

Not really, most want to hunt the animals on their own.

You might try a home design store to see if they have any clients that want something that you have.

Other than that you might check with sporting goods stores, but most of them will just hang the mount with you retaining ownership.

Folks, my wife and I are most likely going to sell our current place and downsize next year, so we are considering what to keep and what to disperse. I will most likely sell most of my trophies from Africa and a few from North America. Is there a demand for this sort of thing? Where or how?
Any big 5 sells good. Not for much but it sell. Hippo/Lion type sculls Kudu prob best seller of the plains game

There’s a couple of outfits that advertise in the SCI monthly news letter that liquidate trophy collections and a place in North Carolina call SafariWorks that sells trophies, I assume they buy them as well.

Yeah, so that’s the problem with taxidermy…pretty small market.
Folks are not really interested in other peoples trophies.
If you can find a lodge, pub, or sporting good store that’s wants them is your best bet.
Also taxiderists will buy them for parts occasionally,…
But do not expect to recoup your expenses…

If you have hides, horns, and bones you could check with leathersmiths and furniture makers.

Not really, most want to hunt the animals on their own.

You might try a home design store to see if they have any clients that want something that you have.

Other than that you might check with sporting goods stores, but most of them will just hang the mount with you retaining ownership.
I recently helped a friend who got rid of his by selling through a local auction house. Just expect to get pennie’s on the dollar. I have seen people try to sell them thinking what they paid for them…get that thought out of your head if you want to sell them…you will find there is a very small market out there

GIVE AWAY ANY YOU CAN AND LIST THE REST ON CRAIGSLIST AND TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET.
KUDU, GEMSBUCK, ECT. WITH REMOVEABLE HORNS, TAKE THE HORNS AND USE MOUNT FOR TARGET PRACTICE!

Most of the auction houses in the states don't get much money for them. I think you're going to be even harder pressed since you live in Canada. You could see if a local restaurant or gun store wants to display them for you.

I recently helped a friend who got rid of his by selling through a local auction house. Just expect to get pennie’s on the dollar. I have seen people try to sell them thinking what they paid for them…get that thought out of your head if you want to sell them…you will find there is a very small market out there
About what I figured...

I can offer some insight. I recently helped the wife of a deceased hunter-friend liquidate a trophy collection of over 150 various species.

It's important to check state laws first because each state governs what can and cannot be sold across state lines (e.g., leopards are one that usually make the state list) or sold at all (e.g., post-ban elephants). Due to the size of the collection, I used a reputable auction house, Western Sportsman Auction, based in Ft. Worth Texas. They are absolute professionals with an on-line auction that reaches many more prospective bidders than a live auction that requires bidders to allocate time and expense for travel and hotel.

In this case, the collection was based in Pennsylvania. We had a lion and 2 leopards. We photographed them, took measurements and sent those details to Western Sportsman. They subsequently used the pictures in the item descriptions at auction time.

Western Sportsman picked up all the trophies (except for the lion and leopards) for a fee which they then deducted from the auction proceeds. The lion and leopards had to remain at her home and could only be bid on and sold to PA residents. Not only did they sell everything, the lions and leopards were verifiably sold to PA residents who picked them up once they settled their winning bid with the auction house. Thinking through that still amazes me. It would have taken so much time and cost to find legitimate buyers of those lions and leopards, let along the others, if we went about selling them on our own.

I can also tell you that price is in the eye of the beholder. The bigger, more complex and more costly taxidermy specimens brought surprisingly less than expected. That can often be attributed to the physical space they require. Still there are as many buyers out there as stars, some of whom will pay handsomely for a grand animal. In my experience over the years, many people don't know what good taxidermy looks like. So, even if an item has some "warts", things will sell. It comes down to the level of exposure to the right audience. The online auction gave us that exposure.

As a side note, I had asked Western Sportsman for estimates before the sale. They don't blow smoke and they were generally spot-on except for some good surprises. It might be helpful to know that Western Sportsman will also buy trophies outright, and they will auction single pieces and collections.

Auction is just an option. I will provide contact information for Logan Thomas at Western Sportsman in case it's ever needed by anyone. Email: logan@westernsportsman.auction. Phone: +1 832-829-0000. Good luck.

I can offer some insight. I recently helped the wife of a deceased hunter-friend liquidate a trophy collection of over 150 various species.

It's important to check state laws first because each state governs what can and cannot be sold across state lines (e.g., leopards are one that usually make the state list) or sold at all (e.g., post-ban elephants). Due to the size of the collection, I used a reputable auction house, Western Sportsman Auction, based in Ft. Worth Texas. They are absolute professionals with an on-line auction that reaches many more prospective bidders than a live auction that requires bidders to allocate time and expense for travel and hotel.

In this case, the collection was based in Pennsylvania. We had a lion and 2 leopards. We photographed them, took measurements and sent those details to Western Sportsman. They subsequently used the pictures in the item descriptions at auction time.

Western Sportsman picked up all the trophies (except for the lion and leopards) for a fee which they then deducted from the auction proceeds. The lion and leopards had to remain at her home and could only be bid on and sold to PA residents. Not only did they sell everything, the lions and leopards were verifiably sold to PA residents who picked them up once they settled their winning bid with the auction house. Thinking through that still amazes me. It would have taken so much time and cost to find legitimate buyers of those lions and leopards, let along the others, if we went about selling them on our own.

I can also tell you that price is in the eye of the beholder. The bigger, more complex and more costly taxidermy specimens brought surprisingly less than expected. That can often be attributed to the physical space they require. Still there are as many buyers out there as stars, some of whom will pay handsomely for a grand animal. In my experience over the years, many people don't know what good taxidermy looks like. So, even if an item has some "warts", things will sell. It comes down to the level of exposure to the right audience. The online auction gave us that exposure.

As a side note, I had asked Western Sportsman for estimates before the sale. They don't blow smoke and they were generally spot-on except for some good surprises. It might be helpful to know that Western Sportsman will also buy trophies outright, and they will auction single pieces and collections.

Auction is just an option. I will provide contact information for Logan Thomas at Western Sportsman in case it's ever needed by anyone. Email: logan@westernsportsman.auction. Phone: +1 832-829-0000. Good luck.
Thanks for such a concise reply! Rick C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IndianaPiz

Latest profile posts

We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe