Scope Question

bobdahunter84

AH veteran
Reaction score
I was sighting in a Weatherby Mark XXII yesterday with a Leupold Rimfire scope purchased. I have the exact same combo already, that's a tack driver. But the one I was sighting in yesterday was shooting beneath the paper with the scope adjusted all the way up. I couldn't adjust it any further. The setup is identical to the other, so not sure the issue.

My thought was a different set of rings for it might solve the issue. My question is if my problem requires a higher set or lower set? I think going lower is the right answer but I keep confusing myself when I think about it.... i have room to go a little lower, but not much.

You are correct; going lower is the right answer. This will drop your point of view relative to the current point of bullet impact. Not sure if it will fully solve your problem, but it is moving in the right direction.

I would move the scope and rings across from the other rifle. If this works, you have narrowed the issue down to scope and rings. If this doesn’t work, you may have a much more problematic issue.

If you find you have an alignment issue between POI and integral bases, I would dump the rifle and start again. It can be fixed but it’s really not worth the effort.

Try stopping the rings front to back. It’s surprising how it can make a difference.

That rifle is milled for scope mounts? Is the front ring taller than the rear?

From your description of the problem it almost has to be a problem with the scope bases or the rings if they mount directly on the receiver. If the components are the same as the other rifle just take some good measurements from the other rifle and compare them to the same measurements taken from the one shooting low. That should clearly show you what the cause of the problem is. It sounds like an easy fix.

Another trick of the trade you can attempt: Aluminum soda can is 0.025" thick. By shimming the bottom of the ring, you can change the point of impact. Typically, you can shim up to three layers thick before things go wrong.

This is done on even high end optic setups with the desire being to get the scope completely zeroed optically (no scope adjustment) so you can set the windage adjustments on the bases, then shim a ring, and the final step might be a mere single click or two on the optic itself.

I once had a take down westley richards 318 mauser with a glorious $2800 set of German custom quick detach claw mounts designed to work with the gun being a take-down. It was an engineering feat similar to a rigby side claw arrangement. It even had a swaro illuminated z6i EE optic. The buyer thought the setup was junk, so he started pulling the scope rings apart to replace the "crappy" scope with his preferred Schmidt & Bender model.

You can imagine where the story goes. Shims went flying. Trued mount bases to the action got screwed up. It was never the same ever again, but the guy thought the ~$6000 scope and bases custom made for the gun were not to his liking and he set out to "fix things right up".

If you have clearance between the barrel and the bell of the scope-front and back, so the bolt won’t hit it-you could try a 20 moa set of bases, see if that gives you some more elevation

I forget if scope cross hairs act like a front or rear sight. Have you tried winding the elevation the other way. Only reason I thought to ask was some years ago a mate had the same experience and he was winding the elevation the wrong way.

I doubt the above is the case and only mentioned it as an outside possibility. I would go with what WAB suggested as a start.

I’d be sourcing the rings with inserts. Burris used to make some, others may now too. Anyway, they come with several different inserts that fit snuggly inside the ring that can correct elevation and help.

I'll ask the question, you don't by chance have the scope turned 90°? As in your windage adjustment is now your elevation. So people do it on purpose some by accident. It will not have the correct amount of adjustment if that is the case. Make sure the base and the rings are tight.

I was sighting in a Weatherby Mark XXII yesterday with a Leupold Rimfire scope purchased. I have the exact same combo already, that's a tack driver. But the one I was sighting in yesterday was shooting beneath the paper with the scope adjusted all the way up. I couldn't adjust it any further. The setup is identical to the other, so not sure the issue.

My thought was a different set of rings for it might solve the issue. My question is if my problem requires a higher set or lower set? I think going lower is the right answer but I keep confusing myself when I think about it.... i have room to go a little lower, but not much.
I also have same set up. I am sure you know what you’re doing but maybe one of the mounts aren’t sitting right on the 11 mm groove? I have Burris high gloss mounts on mine and leupold 2-7 rimfire scope. Don’t see how gun it’s self can be issue.

I hate the idea of shimming unless it is an old rifle that you really want scoped.

It could be a faulty gun, however I'd try swapping rings and then swapping the setup off the other gun first.

About 7 or 8 years years ago I had a brand new Ruger M77 Predator that I mounted up a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. A great scope! I could not get it on paper at 25 yards! Tried a couple other scopes to no avail.. Called Ruger and they said to send them the gun. Got a call a few days later and the rep told me they ran that gun through the metal shredder and were going to send me a new one so needed an FFL to send it to. As I had just bought the rifle I had it sent to the same shop and was not charged anything.

When I asked they simply said the rifle was a fluke that the barrel was threaded in a little off center.

My observation on the whole thing and hearing stories from others leads me to believe Ruger does not spend much time on quality control but has stellar customer service. Probably cheaper or more profitable in the long run to pound out rifles fast and then have customer service solve any issues;)

I’m with @Sika98k …. Swapping rings and bases round is a zero cost option that I would try before shimming.
I agree with SRvet. If your Weatherby is a bolt action it was made by Anschutz for Weatherby and is a super high quality gun. Unless someone ruined barrel cleaning. Try different rings as gun has mounting rail machined into receiver. Can’t be the bases!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruthie0197

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]