Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland, Namibia - Caprivi
So, guys
experienced and seasoned safari hunters.

In theory I could go once per year on a plains game safari, but I have a bit problematic schedule at work.
So, in 5 years, I have been (only) 3 times on safari.

What is your estimated safari frequency?

More then once per year?
Once per year?
Once every second year?
Once every 5 years?
Once in a lifetime?

How often can you manage taking the trip, plains game or dangerous game, irrelevant?

I think that for the vast majority of us it is a once and done, we just don't have the resources for that second, third, and more Safaris.

I feel fortunate to of been able to go on my second one last year but for a third one I will have to hit the lottery or Publishers Clearinghouse jackpot.

We try to hunt outside the lower 48 at least once a year… typically it’s Africa plus another location (Peru, Ireland, Alaska, etc)… but there have been years we’ve only made it out of the US for just one hunt… and 2020 we got shut down completely due to all the Covid travel restrictions…

In 2023 we’ll only hunt South Africa… I burned a ton of vacation and cash last year with 4x international trips (3 were hunting trips… Argentina, Ireland, and South Africa).. so this year we’re purposely slowing down a bit…

I hope to go at least once per year. However, there are so many places to see and different animals to hunt. My interests and plans for the next trip change with each trip I finish. Some trips require more planning and saving than others.

I wish my financial situation allowed for more. That's not complaining or moaning, just a realistic assessment of where I am at. I am hopeful in the coming years it will improve.

To your question, I went for the first time in 2021. I am going in June this year. I FEEL like maybe I can get things worked out to where every other year is feasible.

As far as other hunts, because of living in Alaska, I often have 3 hunts of consequence per year. Some are less difficult to put together (like two weeks up river in my skiff last year for moose). Sometimes flying is involved. Last year: moose up river in the fall, a fly out hunt for my daughter for caribou after that, and a trip to Sitka for blacktail. This year: Africa in June, at least one fly out moose hunt in September (maybe 2), and a DIY goat hunt on Kodiak later that same month.

I had no rules.

It was primarily dependent on money and then on time. Formerly I had more money for something like that, but less time, and now that I am retired, I have more time but less money at my disposal. In addition, at some point it all becomes too routine and one lose interest in the matter.

I hunt worldwide since 1983, but as far as the frequency of hunting in Africa is concerned, it was very different and dependent on the offers. For few periods of time I was in Africa every year, once even three times, then there were periods of several years where I did not do anything. At the moment I am only interested in very special hunts in Africa, and outside the usual areas in south-east and south Africa, areas that I am more and more comparing with hunting tourism zones. Therefore, the number of safaris planned on this continent will be in the future very small.

I’ve been going since 2012 but missed a few years. I got bit by the African safari bug pretty hard.
2012 - PG in Zimbabwe SVC
2013 - DG & PG in Mozambique Niassa Reserve
2014 - Two DG & PG safaris in Mozambique
2015 - Nothing
2016 - Bongo in the CAR
2017 - PG in Tanzania Massailand
2018 - Nothing but did go for Marco Polo in Tajikistan
2019 - Nothing
2020 - Nothing
2021 - DG in Botswana
2022 - PG in Zambia
2023 - DG & PG in Tanzania

I just returned from my first trip and now planning again likely in 2026.
I can pull off a basic trip every year but am already planned 2 years out on other things.
Big family trip next year and Greenland muskox in 25.
I sacrifice pretty hard to be able to do this though on my income. Most people wouldn't the way I do.
No car newer than 20 years old. Live on a porch. Basically no bills at all.
Life is about experiences and adventure at this point.
Work every day until enough money to go again.

This year will be my first to Africa and I’m slowly planning my second but I won’t make a decision until I return from this one. I’m hunting elk and mule deer in 24 so Africa is out of the question due to time. I may do something smaller in 25 like plains game only or a mountain goat hunt (I want to hunt way too much) then another big African hunt in 26.

'How often can you manage to take the trip? '

I managed to take the trip more frequently than I expected.

In 10 years, from 2011 to 2021 I planned and took four trips, I expected one. Now priorities have changed and finances need to go elsewhere. Maybe I'll take another trip in 2-3 years, maybe longer.

Friends and family ask me the same question all the time and my reply is simple. As soon as you pay for it. No gracious financiers have stepped forward yet.

No gracious financiers have stepped forward yet.
I took my son to safari when he was 14. I told him then. when he starts making money on his first job, i expect he will pay me one safari back in return!

I am schedules for my first ever in June of 2024. It is my plan for this to be a one and done for me. However, I have a feeling that when I get back I will do whatever it takes to schedule that next one within 2 years.

Since 2014 I have made a trip to Namibia 7 times. Number 8 next month. Nothing big, plains game hunting. I love being out in the bush. Standing on a kopje looking out over the bush enthrals me

441775EB-605B-4448-BE4C-A36431FD1911.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like many I was going to be a one and done just to get it out of my system. That was 2014, I’ve now been on 4, 2014, 2018 and 2 in 2021. I’m trying to put things together for 2024 or 2025, it’s going to depend on finances and health considerations. I would go every year if I could.

So far it’s been every two years with scheduled trip this August. However, if costs keep climbing this may be my last or next to last. I have to go at least one more time after this year because I’ve promised to take my grandson in a couple of years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCre

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim