AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
newzealandsafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
New Zealand Professional guides assoc, Safari Club international, Dallas Safari Club, Wild sheep foundation, Houston Safari Club, SCI Master Measurer
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia, New Caledonia, Canada, U.S.A
Rusa Deer Hunt New Zealand

Rusa Deer

full

Elusive and rare!

The most elusive deer in the New Zealand bush, rusa have the most narrow distribution of all of the recognized deer species here.

full

Rusa deer are native to Indonesia, and were mistakenly introduced into New Zealand in 1907 under the impression they were sambar deer.

rusasikasambardetail.png

Inhabiting the central North Island's east coast of New Zealand, where they do very well in the warmer temperatures Rusa deer have course hair with exceptionally long dark antlers averaging 32+ inches with typical formation of 3x3 although some trophy rusa stags can have a non typical formation.

Rusa deer seek cover during the day, time spent sitting at first light glassing and judging them as they feed proves to be the best way to hunt them. Male rusa deer (stags) can weigh up to 400 lbs with shots ranging from 150-250 yards this is a great New Zealand deer hunt to add to your safari.

full

full

full

full

With a very distinctive call the rusa stags become aggressive during their rut for the hinds (females) which is from late June to August like the sambar deer. New Zealand Safaris personally guides clients on private land in the North Island of New Zealand. We also arrange rusa deer hunts in Australia while buffalo hunting.

A short one hour commercial flight from the South Island with your New Zealand hunting guide to the heart of the rusa deer hunting safari that awaits you. Rusa stags can be hunted from April through August, the meat of this species is considered very tender and tasty for such a big animal.

Rusa Deer Hunting New Zealand by New Zealand Safaris posted Feb 28, 2019 at 12:51 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the write up. Rusa Deer look like a challenge but an adventure. Do you have rifles and ammo for hire? How about taxidermy, do yuh have a local one your recommend?

Yes, we've got rifles and ammo for hire. We do have a local taxidermist that we refer to, however most clients choose to have their trophies prepared and exported to their preferred local taxidermist.

2020-rusa-deer-trophy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyFinch2

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com