rugged camera help???

clarkarchery

New member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Alright everyone need some help. Im lucky enought to be going to africa again in 2012, and this time I want to be able to take some more pictures. Last time I just had a regular digital camera. This time I want something with a little more zoom. I need it to be rugged and be able to be dragged thru the brush without having to worry about it too much. And compact is always good. Any ideas? As alway thanks for the help
 
Nikon has a 18 X zoom on a new compact ... from what i have read and the eviews it seem to be a good camera...lots of features...you could slip it in your pocket and have room left over...www.nikonusa.com
 
Amazon.com: Canon SX30IS 14.1MP Digital Camera w/ 35x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom & 2.7 Inch Wide LCD Super Bundle W/ 16 GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Mem. Card, Hi-Speed SD USB 2.0 Card Reader, BP-7L 1150mah Batt Pack, DigPro D

I just bought this a few months ago after long research for our upcoming 2012 safari. I was trying to decide between an SLR and this..to get the same performance (zoom) from an SLR you will easily spend 3 times as much and have to take multiple lenses.

This camera is easy to use-and in my opinion well suited (but that's why I bought it)
 
I made my first trip to Africa this year and I took two cameras with me in case one broke or was lost/stolen. I took over 450 pictures in 14 days and should have taken more. I have a Canon D10 that is pretty rugged and a SLR Canon rebel Xi with 300x telephoto. I suggest you invest in a good SLR with at least the kit telephoto. My reason? You probably use the best rifle and scope you can get, why not a really good camera? I carried the SLR everywhere in a hunting pack and had no troubles. I wore the D10 on the same type of bino strap I use hunting. Just be sure to put clear or UV lens filter on your lens to protect them. It saved my telephoto lens on the plane trip over.
 
If you want tuff then Nikon is what you are looking for. If you want a good quality zoom then you need to go with a DSLR pick the Zoom lens you want. If you want compact then Nikon makes some realy nice comact cameras with loads of features incuding video. I carry one of each. A good video camera is prity much a necessity as well. The DSLR stays in the truck when following tracks as it is to heavy to pack all day though.
 
I have had an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 for a few months and it is a winner. Waterproof, small, takes nice photos. I'm planning on taking it to Africa next year.
Hope this helps.
 
I own a Canon G11 and use it every day in the bush,it is unbelievable!!! The new Canon G12 has in the meantime been released and is in my humble opinion the best compact for hunting.The flip-out screen is amazing when taking trophy pics and it has got a "low light" setting that takes great pics in low light!!!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,703
Members
169,827
Latest member
barbosroman878
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top