Ruger 35 Whelen Range Report

Reg26

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I finally got my Lipsey's Ruger in 35 Whelen out to the range today. My rifle purchases are always leading my scope purchases, so it took a bit to get a scope mounted. I got some Alaskan Arms quick disconnecting rings and a Leupold VX-5HD 2-10 to complete the rig. After three shots with Hornady Superformance 200 grain ammo to sight in the scope, I shifted over to my handholds using 220 grain Power Hammer bullets and CFE 223. These were the first two three-shot groups with 0.5 grains difference in the loads. My velocities averaged 2833 fps and 2825.3 fps for these two. (y)

IMG_4615.jpeg

IMG_4614.jpeg

Nice. I have same rifle. Mine is liking the speer 250gr bullet with Varget. I have a couple boxes of the hornady super performance and its just too fast for my preference. I put leupold 1.5-5 on mine.
I like the 250 option as well. I also have a 9.3x62 which I've been shooting 258 grain Hammer bullets in, so I went lighter with the 35. Loving this rifle so far though!

Nice. I have same rifle. Mine is liking the speer 250gr bullet with Varget. I have a couple boxes of the hornady super performance and its just too fast for my preference. I put leupold 1.5-5 on mine.
What velocities are you seeing with that grain? Varget is what I use with that similar weight in the 9.3. I’m getting about 2550 ft./s out of a 22 inch barrel.

What velocities are you seeing with that grain? Varget is what I use with that similar weight in the 9.3. I’m getting about 2550 ft./s out of a 22 inch barrel.
The speer 250s are only running avg 2360fps. Varget 55gr. Spread of 50, std dev 18. Speer does not list varget but i based it on others data and worked from 51 up to 55. I dont think the speer bullet wants to run much faster. They are accurate enough for my shooting needs. I just got 300 hornady 300gr interlocks that I think will run better. Maybe. I just started on 35 whelen about a month ago.
Varget probably not ideal for heavier 35 whelen bullets but I have it. My friend has cfe 223 powder at his shop. Maybe i should try some.

I can’t believe @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has not come along yet! Candy Man, Candy Man, Candy Man!

I can’t believe @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has not come along yet! Candy Man, Candy Man, Candy Man!
Those loads should work.
I’ve been struggling to find the load I’m looking for in my .35 Whelen AI . The other day I went to the range with several loads, all just so so. The last load I tried was 55 grs Varget and 250 grain Hornady spire point, which are the old ones that I’ve had for many years. This was by far the best, 1.5” 4 shots @ 200 yds, 3 of those shots in 1/2”. This may not be the fastest load but that’s ok , I like the accuracy.

I like the 225 Gr. bullets in my 35 Whelen. That being, said I wouldn't quibble over the 5 Gr. difference. With the kind of accuracy and velocity you are getting, I'd stop load development right now! Bob has been trying to convince me to shift from my IMR 4064 to CFE 223. My accuracy is about the same as yours, but my velocity is only 2730 FPS.

I like the 225 Gr. bullets in my 35 Whelen. That being, said I wouldn't quibble over the 5 Gr. difference. With the kind of accuracy and velocity you are getting, I'd stop load development right now! Bob has been trying to convince me to shift from my IMR 4064 to CFE 223. My accuracy is about the same as yours, but my velocity is only 2730 FPS.
I have shot a few 225 and 200 grain bullets in one of my Whelens, the Ruger #1. I tend to staywith the 250’s in the bolt guns. I have shot a lot of the speer and nosler partition bullets , I would stay with the partitions if I could get them. The velocity on the 250 hornady/varget load only runs about 2550 in my rifle.

I have shot a few 225 and 200 grain bullets in one of my Whelens, the Ruger #1. I tend to staywith the 250’s in the bolt guns. I have shot a lot of the speer and nosler partition bullets , I would stay with the partitions if I could get them. The velocity on the 250 hornady/varget load only runs about 2550 in my rifle.
@ Mikelo thanks for your post of the Ruger #1 .35 Whelen with Hornady 250 grain bullets and Varget.
That's what I load, mid-range book load, not chrono, but it is accurate.

Wow

You hit the Whelen jackpot with that rifle.

I wanted one but told myself that I didn't need one because I have two 9.3x62s.

Congrats on finding a great rifle and load.

Wow

You hit the Whelen jackpot with that rifle.

I wanted one but told myself that I didn't need one because I have two 9.3x62s.

Congrats on finding a great rifle and load.
I got my second 9.3x62 (the 2019 Lipsey’s M77 African) after I got this 35 Whelen. Sometimes logic goes out the window.

@Bullthrower338
Cody I must apologise for my lack of response but the wife and I are in a 3 month holiday around Australia so can't get on as often as I would like but I will endeavour to keep up when I can
All the 143 owners will breath a sigh of relief as I can't hang shit on them as much
Bob
A photo from where we are in western Australia at the moment in kunanurra about 4,000 km from home
PXL_20240615_092719854.NIGHT.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraCarr

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg