RMR or SRO on Heym DR

LHPF565

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on types and sizes of RMR/SRO optic for a heym 88B DR. JJ is putting the mount on it.

I currently use a Ruger No 1 375 with a Burris Fast Fire 2. 3MOA Dot. It’s amazingly for target acquisition but the DR is a bit bigger/wider and wondering what others have found that works successfully. Would 1MOA dot be two small?
I just never mastered using the blades all that well on a rifle for fast acquisition and I love the RMR/SRO’s for that reason.

I love using a red dot on my Heym 89B 500NE. I first used an RMR 3.25MOA dot but found that size dot too big (for my taste anyway) for targets past 40 yards. I swapped to the SRO as it has a larger viewing window and went with the 2.5MOA dot....love it!
1.jpeg

The link above is for an article on this subject.
Short answer from me is SRO for large acquisition window with a 1 MOA dot.

If however you shoot a 500 NE at a maximum range of 50 yards, a larger dot would be more functional.

If one has any astigmatism the dot will probably flare into something bigger than 1 MOA. If a larger dot is required on certain days, just increase the intensity. The dot will grow in size!

The only time any of my three SROs have a true 1 MOA dot is at dusk. With any more light I have to increase intensity which enlarges the dot.

With a 1 MOA SRO I have shot 4" groups with both barrels, off sticks at 100 yards with my trusty Heym 88B in 458 Win.

Last edited:
Leica Tempus - without 1 msec hesitation.

RMR is 5x the ruggedness of the SRO. The SRO does have a bigger screen. If your rifle were dropped on to the optic RMR would win.

Not sure if that helps you.

Regarding the RMR: keep in mind Trijicon also makes the RMR HD (Heavy Duty) in two models (1 or 3.25 MOA red dot). Larger window and "A new reticle allows you to switch between a complex reticle or single crisp dot, both of which include a new super bright setting."

Looking for recommendations on types and sizes of RMR/SRO optic for a heym 88B DR. JJ is putting the mount on it.

I currently use a Ruger No 1 375 with a Burris Fast Fire 2. 3MOA Dot. It’s amazingly for target acquisition but the DR is a bit bigger/wider and wondering what others have found that works successfully. Would 1MOA dot be two small?
I just never mastered using the blades all that well on a rifle for fast acquisition and I love the RMR/SRO’s for that reason.
Please look up @Mark A Ouellette excellent review to answer your question. He has so much experience and guidance answering your question plus he is an awesome person!

RMR is 5x the ruggedness of the SRO. The SRO does have a bigger screen. If your rifle were dropped on to the optic RMR would win.

Not sure if that helps you.
Thanks for the information. Could you please provide your source for an RMR being five times more rugged than an SRO? Were these reflex sites tested to MILSTD 810 for shock? I'd like see the test parameters and data from this controlled test.

The RMR design (shape) appears to provide more structural integrity. No doubt it will withstand more shock than an SRO. But how much more?

Note: I love my Nightforce 1-4x NSX scopes for being bulletproof. They are compact and don't weigh much more than other premium brands. For more magnification on hunting rifles, I use Leupolds. They are lighter and more than rugged enough for my hunts.

Thanks for the information. Could you please provide your source for an RMR being five times more rugged than an SRO? Were these reflex sites tested to MILSTD 810 for shock? I'd like see the test parameters and data from this controlled test.

The RMR design (shape) appears to provide more structural integrity. No doubt it will withstand more shock than an SRO. But how much more?

Note: I love my Nightforce 1-4x NSX scopes for being bulletproof. They are compact and don't weigh much more than other premium brands. For more magnification on hunting rifles, I use Leupolds. They are lighter and more than rugged enough for my hunts.
@MarkAoullette, am interested in the test protocol and results as well.

The Trijicon RMR has functioned very well for me.

I'm a fan of the rmr. Can't comment on the sro.
20230512_111843.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleyHo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe
3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED