Rigby Floor Plate Issue

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Ran into an issue with the magazine floor pate on my Rigby Big Game in 450 Rigby over the weekend.

I have put quite a few rounds through this rifle since buying it only 6-7 months ago and the rifle has been flawless up until this weekends range session. All of a sudden the magazine floor plate would pop open under recoil every time I fired the rifle. After closer inspection I noticed a small grub screw in the floor plate (pictures below) at first I thought maybe the grub screw was not wound in far enough but after some experimenting it turns out it was wound in too far and wasn't allowing the floor plate release button to come all the way back out when the floor plate was closed. With the release button not being able to come all the way back out with the floor plate closed and rounds in the magazine putting downward pressure on the floor plate it would pop open under recoil.

I'm glad this started happening before my buffalo hunt in a couple of months because it would have been a very difficult fix in the field, the grub screw had some good thread locker on it, couldn't even move it at first. Soaked it in brakekleen for a few minutes and I could eventually start moving the screw in and out, I now have it in the right spot for the floor plate release to go all the way back in with the floor plate closed and have test fired it with a full magazine and no more issues. Will be getting some light duty thread locker to put on it tomorrow to make sure it is locked in place.

Not sure why it hasn't had the issue from brand new as the screw definitely has not moved, it must have just been hanging in there all this time and now with a tiny bit of wear and things settling in it must have been enough for it to just start letting go.

I would be interested to hear if any other Rigby owners have run into this issue.

1651476220714.jpeg

1651476257573.jpeg

Thanks for posting this....I hope I never need the information, but it's nice to know.

I've got 2 x Big Games. A DSB in 375 which has had about 200 rounds through her and a 416 SSB which has only had about 60 rounds through her. No issues with either...touch wood.

Thanks for posting this....I hope I never need the information, but it's nice to know.

I've got 2 x Big Games. A DSB in 375 which has had about 200 rounds through her and a 416 SSB which has only had about 60 rounds through her. No issues with either...touch wood.
I'm still 100% happy with the rifle, it just was not quite set right, it was literally half a turn of that screw and problem solved. But yeah that's the main reason I'm posting this, hopefully it helps anyone else that may run into the same problem some day. I am also going to email Pro-tactical Australia (Rigby importer) and Rigby directly to see what they have to say.

Once I sorted that issue out I had a great range session, spent quite a bit of time shooting off the sticks at around 130m trying to get used to those longer shots with iron sights (y) she's a shooter

I've seen it happen on a John Rigby &Co. Big Game Magnum Mauser in .416 Rigby. The owner "remedied" the problem by having his gunsmith put a pin through the magazine floor plate release catch, essentially rendering it permanently shut.

I have a new Mauser M98 in 450 Rigby which had the same issue. Ended up having to disassemble the rifle to get that screw to move. Once properly adjusted, no more popping open.
I do like the idea of using the pin to prevent the floor plate from opening.

wow. Rigby/Mauser use a screw/post to set the final locking point of the floorplate? I have never seen that before. Having made Mauser bottom metal, I can understand it though - getting the latch and the floorplate perfect is not an easy task.

I've seen it happen on a John Rigby &Co. Big Game Magnum Mauser in .416 Rigby. The owner "remedied" the problem by having his gunsmith put a pin through the magazine floor plate release catch, essentially rendering it permanently shut.
Thats definitely permanently fixing the problem, I don't think I will go to that extreme. I have fixed mine just by adjusting the screw to the right spot, fired about 15 rounds down range yesterday afternoon and no more problems.

I have a new Mauser M98 in 450 Rigby which had the same issue. Ended up having to disassemble the rifle to get that screw to move. Once properly adjusted, no more popping open.
I do like the idea of using the pin to prevent the floor plate from opening.
So you know my pain then! Mine was the same had to pull the rifle apart and then really work at getting the screw to move. Like I said I have adjusted mine, test fired it and no more problems, now I know the right adjustment I have put some loctite on it, I doubt I will ever have another issue again.

What’s interesting to me is that the floorplates popped open but the screw was hard to break loose. Meaning, the screw moving didn’t move to cause the floor plate to open. Strange.

What’s interesting to me is that the floorplates popped open but the screw was hard to break loose. Meaning, the screw moving didn’t move to cause the floor plate to open. Strange.

Agreed. Something else had to change.

The floor plate did not close far enough to allow the catch to fully engage. It was delivered to me in this condition, as I noticed this before I ever shot the rifle. I thought there may have been some grease or debris inside the catch keeping it from fully engaging( had that happen on another new rifle).

The floor plate did not close far enough to allow the catch to fully engage. It was delivered to me in this condition, as I noticed this before I ever shot the rifle. I thought there may have been some grease or debris inside the catch keeping it from fully engaging( had that happen on another new rifle).

Ah, got it.

A properly fitted floor latch shouldn’t have any play, and in fact if the angles between the latch and tab on the plate are correct, you don’t even need a spring on the latch to hold it closed, only to return it to position after opening. I’ve seen this done with a 458 Lott.

For the time being slap a piece of Duct Tape across the floor plate. It is a little disconcerting having the plate pop open on recoil and dumping your full magazine on the ground. Might be embarrassing getting hooked in the fanny while bending over looking for ammo in the grass.

Last edited:
For the time being slap a piece of Duct Tape across the floor plate. It is a little disconcerting having the plate pop open on recoil and dumping your full magazine on the ground. Might be embarrassing getting hooked in the fanny while bending over looking for ammo in the grass.
I would conctact Rigby directly.
It's a potentially very dangerous issue, it's not an elk gun! I mean, I would be very disappointed in an elk gun too, but, c'mon. ..you go after buffalo/ele & Co with your rifle!

The screw is there to take up any play between the floor plate and the bottom metal. Like you said, probably a little off to begin with, and finally started giving issue
Couldn't have said it better myself, this is exactly how it is. I also took the rifle to my gunsmith this morning he said the exact same thing you have stated that it is there to take up the play, in a way "fine tune" things. It just wasn't set right from the factory. He also inspected the spring tension on the floorplate release and said it is more that adequate so its just the screw not being adjusted correctly that was the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeinR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

the best gear
  • Accurate Powders
  • Alliant Powder
  • Hodgdon Powder
  • RAMSHOT
  • Winchester Powders
  • Winchester
  • CCI
  • Federal
  • Remington
  • .458 Caliber
  • 10MM
  • 270 Caliber
  • 7MM
  • 8MM
  • 9MM
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.