Rigby double?

Mike53

AH member
Reaction score
Stopping by a local shop today that deals primarily in high end shotguns, I noticed a double rifle in the used rack appearing to be in like new condition. It turned out to be a .450 3-1/4 N.E. bearing the John Rigby & Co. mark. The price was $17000, which struck me as unusually reasonable for a Rigby double. I did not look at the rifle closely, but it occurred to me this might be one of the California-produced Rigbys made on Merkel actions. Would this be a reasonable assumption? If the rifle is a Merkel, is it still a good buy?

Stopping by a local shop today that deals primarily in high end shotguns, I noticed a double rifle in the used rack appearing to be in like new condition. It turned out to be a .450 3-1/4 N.E. bearing the John Rigby & Co. mark. The price was $17000, which struck me as unusually reasonable for a Rigby double. I did not look at the rifle closely, but it occurred to me this might be one of the California-produced Rigbys made on Merkel actions. Would this be a reasonable assumption? If the rifle is a Merkel, is it still a good buy?

I think you could just get a merkel and be as well, if not better, off.

if inrememebr right, California Rigby tinkered with using a special adhesive (space shuttle tiles?) for the barrels. I don’t know if that was actually done in production though. Or maybe that was Rogue River Rifleworks , which were the folks who made those CA rigbys.

a .450 3-1/4 N.E. bearing the John Rigby & Co. mark. The price was $17000, which struck me as unusually reasonable for a Rigby double. this might be one of the California-produced Rigbys made on Merkel actions. Would this be a reasonable assumption? If the rifle is a Merkel, is it still a good buy?
Assuming you are in the USA;
You can buy a Heym for $17,000.
$10,000 should buy fairly nice Merkel.
A next to new K-Gun can be bought for $11 to $12,000

Take your time and be ready to buy the right double for you.

After researching the matter a bit, I’m certain the rifle in question is one of the “California“ Rigbys. It’s quite nice looking; but apparently, they are not well regarded.

After researching the matter a bit, I’m certain the rifle in question is one of the “California“ Rigbys. It’s quite nice looking; but apparently, they are not well regarded.
I think they go by “mexican Rigbys”. How does that sound at the countryclub?..LOL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.36 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.37 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 8.45.39 AM.png
    605.6 KB · Views: 67
Hi Mike,
Do yourself a favor, take Marks advice and look elsewhere. it will never be a “English“ gun if that matters to you. Although they did use nice wood and the Merkel action is a sound one. I also think that when you pass on, god forbid, or need to sell for whatever reason you or your family will never, in my opinion, recoup anywhere near the asking price due to the muddled history in that unfortunate time of Rigby’s history.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerryVow

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]