Rifle for ROAN, Klipspringer, Dik Dik HUNT-NAMBIA

uplander01

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, Mozambique, Canada (BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Newfoundland, Oueen Charlette Isl), USA Rocky Mountain Region, Alaska
Just booked this hunt for 2026 in Namibia, looking forward to going back there, it's a beautiful place. This particular hunt raises some questions for me as to a good choice of rifle. I plan on having a detailed discussion with my PH but thought I'd gather some info from folks that have been on a unique combo hunt like this where it could be more of a distance game. Roan being a large and quite tough animal, as well as very alert, and the 2 tiny's on the menu, very small and possibly a candidate for some lengthy shots. I once said to myself I just don't see walking around Africa with anything less than a 375,....and that kinda holds true as I'm normally after bigger stuff in total....... So is it time for me to pull the ol' 300 WM mountain rifle out with some quality optics and be prepared for a 300+ shot?

Sounds to me like a 375 with softs and solids would work really well. It may come down to the distance of your anticipated shots. I’m not familiar with 300 yard shots on Klipspringer taken off the koppies. You may want to consider your bullet choice carefully if using a 300WM on the smaller stuff.

Sounds to me like a 375 with softs and solids would work really well. It may come down to the distance of your anticipated shots. I’m not familiar with 300 yard shots on Klipspringer taken off the koppies. You may want to consider your bullet choice carefully if using a 300WM on the smaller stuff.
+1 vote for 375 with solids and softs. I used this approach to take klipspringer with solids with a good outcome (minimal cape damage), and the same rifle with softs for heavy antelope up to eland, and for buffalo. My spooky eland was taken cleanly off sticks at a laser-measured 340 yards with a bit of elevation doping; the 375 is capable of more than most realize.

btw my PH was very clear about aiming for dead center middle of body on the Klipspringer; he did not want any chance of the bullet hitting a shoulder bone and fragmenting. This approach dropped him like he had been hit with a thunderbolt, and the cape was in great shape.

I haven’t hunted damara dik dik or klipspringer but I’ve had multiple opportunities. Most klipspringer we encountered in Namibia were walking up to springs in the mountains and were encountered relatively close. I’ve also seen them in Zimbabwe and South Africa just appear while we were glassing usually relatively close again. I’m sure the potential exists for a long shot but I haven’t seen it yet. For dik dik, the brushy areas I saw they live in would be 50 yards and under. Roan is the most switched on animal I’ve ever hunted, but it depends where you hunt them how shot opportunity will be. If you can shoot 300 yards I think your 375 will be good if your PH agrees. However the few solids I’ve tried my 375 doesn’t shoot very accurately. I’d make sure you test your solids at 100,200,300 to know for klipspringer.

Last edited:
I shot my roan with a .270

IMG_0772.JPG

My options are 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 HH. I feel more concerned about which optic to put on the rifle, the 375 is limited to a VX3 1.5-5 because of the Griffin Howe optic mount, the 338 or 300 would more than likely wear a VX6 2-12. I'm not mounting any more trophies with capes, just skull mounts so what happens on impact is kind of irrelevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiraBallin

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]