Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
As some of you know, I've been doing some cleaning up around the house that has involved me selling two Pelican 1700 cases that were made specifically for the Blaser R8 line of rifles. These cases would house one complete (traditional non-thumbhole) stock, two barrels, the bolt along with the necessary tools and a few accessories. Here is what one of them looked like.

1717108889341.png

My plan in doing this was to finance another Pelican 1700 case, that I could fit TWO complete Blaser R8 rifles in. One for me and another for my wife. My new Pelican 1700 case showed up in my wife's favorite color, green...and it came with the factory foam with it. I played around with the layout of how I want to arrange everything, even going as far as to draw a design on one side of the foam for me to cut.

I looked down at the drawing I'd made...it wasn't good. For a final product to look and perform well, it must AT LEAST look good at the beginning stages. My plan at that time was to cut the foam with scissors. Then it was to be an electric knife. I even inquired to a friend about using his scroll saw so the edges would be square. I knew there was a way to make it look good and perform at the same time. I was also coming to the realization that I was not the one capable of doing it. Frustrating.

Enter @Challer who recommended GunFoam.com. I checked them out and they have a cool website. After a few minutes, I had downloaded the app, taken pictures, uploaded them to the web, picked the Pelican 1700 case I had, and arranged the images of my rifles and barrels in the case. In less than an hour I was done and ready to check out. Total cost of the custom foam was just over $200.

Yes, I know…$200 for a piece of foam. But it’s the good polyethene foam (PE), not the squishy polyurethane (PU) foam that comes with the regular Pelican cases. Not all foam is created equally.

$200 for the foam and $300 for the new Pelican 1700 has me very close to what I paid for one of the Blaser Pelican cases. So much for saving money! But there is a bright side for those of you reading this. Turns out that GunFoam has the GF-3714 that is nearly identical to the Pelican 1700 AND stays under the 62" linear limit for airline travel. The best news is that you can have the GF-3714 case and custom foam made for less than $400. I should have done my homework before ordering the Pelican. :rolleyes:

After discovering GunFoam, I did a deep dive on the cases. The GunFoam cases look to be made by Explorer Cases and rebranded. The GunFoam model GF-3417 is identical to the Explorer 9413. The only advantage I see to ordering it directly from Explorer is that you can get it in a bunch of different colors, but the price is right around the $300 mark, and you would be better off ordering a package deal with the custom foam from GunFoam. Added bonus is that Explorer makes locks that are specific to their cases, good for airline travel, non-TSA and available in combination and keyed. The locks lay flat against the case to keep from getting bashed around…a nice touch for those who know what hell baggage handlers can be. The keyed version is not available from GunFoam, only the combo locks. Also, these locks will not fit other brand cases...only the Explorer. Ask me how I know. :ROFLMAO:

I also found two reviews on The Firearm Blog from 2016 and 2021.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/05/21/explorer-cases/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/02/review-explorer-cases/

Throughout the ordering process of my custom foam, I was kept in the loop. In my haste to get my order in before my wife changed her mind, I made one of the rectangular accessory pockets only 3/4" deep instead of 2". They contacted me about this and at the same time needed to confirm which Pelican 1700 case I have. There are two versions of this, the newer rev has different interior dimensions and more grab handles than the old one. Emails were exchanged, my order was confirmed, and the build process started.

Now the worst part...waiting. This is when I was doing all the research on these cases and how good they are. After a couple of weeks, I called to see how things were going. I spoke with their Digital Director, DJ Shirley about my order. I wasn’t trying to pressure anyone, I just wanted to know how things were going. DJ said that he had personally laid eyes on my foam insert and it was scheduled to go out the following day. Thank you very much DJ, I can’t wait. A week later and I had not gotten an update with any shipping info. I called again and left a message for DJ and followed up with an email. Again, not pressuring but I wanted to know if there was a misunderstanding or maybe miscommunication. DJ was quick to respond and apologized for the oversight. I assured him it wasn’t an issue and understand how business can get a little crazy sometime. Later that day I received an email with tracking information and my foam should be arriving early next week.

This is what my foam should look like, minus the circle where I left that cutout too shallow.

1717109141428.png

DISCLAIMER - I was not asked by GunFoam to write a review; I’m doing this on my own. However, I did inform them that I was doing it and they asked me to email a link. The foam was paid for by me, I’m not being reimbursed or sponsored for this review. You that know me on AH, know that I will do my best to give an honest review and opinion.

I will mention that they have pre-designed foam to fit a good number of common pistols in a variety of commonly used cases. For those looking to travel with rifles, you will most likely be taking pictures and uploading these to the cases you choose. The process is pretty simple…even for a computer novice like me. Another bonus is that it keeps the pictures for the future in the event you want to design another insert (or complete case) for the same firearm. Custom foam can be made from a variety of brands (Pelican, Vault, Apache, SKB…etc) to fit whatever firearm or item you may want to protect for travel or shipping. The two people I dealt with at GunFoam showed excellent customer service skills and beyond that have delivered on the requests made. Shout out to Dan Moss and DJ Shirley for their efforts.

As of now, I’m waiting on my foam insert to arrive. When it does, I’ll be posting some pics and continue the review process. If anyone else has experience with GunFoam, I’d encourage them to post them here so we can get a more comprehensive review. As always, thanks for reading.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. This is the first I've heard of GunFoam, sounds like it is a better alternative to cutting your own foam. Have you used Pelican's design your own foam thing? If so, how does the GunFoam app compare?

I'm interested to see how this turns out. This is the first I've heard of GunFoam, sounds like it is a better alternative to cutting your own foam. Have you used Pelican's design your own foam thing? If so, how does the GunFoam app compare?
I've not used the Pelican design, but I have tried MyCaseBuilder a number of years ago. As I recall it was a complete s-show. I wasn't happy with their level of customer service. The CAD program they were using wasn't easy to navigate or use unless you happened to be a design engineer. Things were way too complicated for their intended audience. As a result, I left several unfinished foam inserts in my drafts...never to be finished. Not even sure I still have a password that works for them. They may have changed how they do things, but I didn't check.

If I had known about GunFoam before ordering the new Pelican 1700, I would've had them do the case and foam to be done with it that much faster. Not to mention less expensive. And I could have used their locks that lay flat against the case.

DISCLAIMER - I was not asked by GunFoam to write a review; I’m doing this on my own. However, I did inform them that I was doing it and they asked me to email a link. The foam was paid for by me, I’m not being reimbursed or sponsored for this review. You that know me on AH, know that I will do my best to give an honest review and opinion.

I will mention that they have pre-designed foam to fit a good number of common pistols in a variety of commonly used cases. For those looking to travel with rifles, you will most likely be taking pictures and uploading these to the cases you choose. The process is pretty simple…even for a computer novice like me. Another bonus is that it keeps the pictures for the future in the event you want to design another insert (or complete case) for the same firearm. Custom foam can be made from a variety of brands (Pelican, Vault, Apache, SKB…etc) to fit whatever firearm or item you may want to protect for travel or shipping. The two people I dealt with at GunFoam showed excellent customer service skills and beyond that have delivered on the requests made. Shout out to Dan Moss and DJ Shirley for their efforts.

As of now, I’m waiting on my foam insert to arrive. When it does, I’ll be posting some pics and continue the review process. If anyone else has experience with GunFoam, I’d encourage them to post them here so we can get a more comprehensive review. As always, thanks for reading.
Thank you for all this detailed information. I would be interested in a case for my R8 and double. I, of course, would buy the Pelican and then make the custom foam.
This is where I would want a soft case made of some kind of packable material like memory foam since I would need two of them in my suitcase. I don't know of such a case but maybe y'all do.

Thank you for all this detailed information. I would be interested in a case for my R8 and double. I, of course, would buy the Pelican and then make the custom foam.
This is where I would want a soft case made of some kind of packable material like memory foam since I would need two of them in my suitcase. I don't know of such a case but maybe y'all do.
Do you mean that you want to put your guns in a soft case, then put that into a hard case?

For not much more than the cost of a Pelican by itself, you can get the GF branded case WITH custom foam and save yourself a little bit of trouble. And most likely a bit of money as well. Then pack the gunslip/soft case in your regular luggage.

For those of us with long rifles do you travel with them broken down or not?
I’m all for a case that doesn’t get smashed by the luggage throwers (really like that saying which I stole off of gun bloggers sight);) but if it costs you more in over weight baggage charges is it not just worth going for the lighter Pelican case?
Bit of a pain that the padlocks don’t sit flush.

For those of us with long rifles do you travel with them broken down or not?
I’m all for a case that doesn’t get smashed by the luggage throwers (really like that saying which I stole off of gun bloggers sight);) but if it costs you more in over weight baggage charges is it not just worth going for the lighter Pelican case?
Bit of a pain that the padlocks don’t sit flush.
The first time we went to Africa we had a Pelican 1750 with two (fully assembled) rifles with the scopes installed. We added our shooting sticks and a few knives that our outfitter wanted us to bring. Total weight was very close to the 50 lb limit, what was worse was having to lug that unwieldy thing around an airport. I said I would never do that again.

Not long after we returned, my wife and I changed our collection from traditional bolt action rifles to the Blaser R8 which negated the need for the 1750 case. I sold the case to another member and have been using the 1700 case for a number of years. I'm very happy with it.

As for full sized rifles in a Pelican 1700 or similar sized case...I've seen it done with the barreled action removed from the stock, but the other rifle was a 470NE double rifle. Photo courtesy of @One Day... I believe it would be possible to do two bolt action rifles in this manner, but I've not personally seen it.

1717236191493.png

I put two rifles in a single gun Pelican Vault with their scopes in individual leather bags inside my carryon backpack.
16915338836971861004684596064473.jpg

It worked okay but protection is needed for butts of each stock. Slip-on recoil pads will do the trick. Or I can order something from these guys. Would like to keep the original foam intact for using the case with other guns. Case was unwieldy but not bad. Better than the double gun case I struggled with the first two safaris.

I use duct tape to secure the locks against the case. Also to keep the latches secure.

As an aside @BeeMaa, when I used case foam service, I put spots for the scopes. At wheels down scopes come out of the carry on and into the rifle case. Remember folks the are tightly fitted cutouts from photos you take. I figure it’s the best place for the scopes.

Case builder doesn’t come close to these guys.

Then the disease starts and I had a 1500 made for the spotting scope and chrono (which helps a lot). Then you KNOW everything you own needs a case - it’s downhill from there. But I do enjoy a pelican with foam for my 375 rounds.

Do you mean that you want to put your guns in a soft case, then put that into a hard case?

For not much more than the cost of a Pelican by itself, you can get the GF branded case WITH custom foam and save yourself a little bit of trouble. And most likely a bit of money as well. Then pack the gunslip/soft case in your regular luggage.
That is what I do now with the Pelican 2 rifle case. What I meant is that if I take the cool take down case then I have to have a soft case in my suitcase. It would be nice to have a really
packable one.

Not to derail, but I don't understand packing a soft gun case to Africa. The lodges are bound to have loners I would think. Haven't looked at my lodge's suggested packing list since they updated the website, but I don't recall seeing soft gun case on the old list. Seemed to be plenty of them in the their armory. Surely the lodges at least have enough soft cases to take care of their rentals and a few extras in case one gets damaged or lost in the field?

Of course, some guys have showpiece soft gun cases they wish to share (visually!) with other hunters. That's fine. Admittedly, a showpiece rifle might look out of place stowed in an old canvas or leather soft gun case. And who knows what kind of crappy gun cases the lodge uses for loners (turns out my lodge's loners were MUCH better quality than the ones I had at home). I'm not terribly concerned about gun case quality because my guns are tools, not showpieces.

Incidentally, my first PH told me knife would be removed from the lodge's list when it was updated (I didn't bring a knife anyway). Listing it caused too many problems with fatheads who insisted on dressing their own game. "Why would you tell me to bring a knife if I can't use it." Would be nothing on the new list about NOT bringing one but listing it as suggested implied the wrong things.

Wow. A double derailment. Very atypical for me, eh? :D

Just before it shipped DJ Shirley from GunFoam snapped a picture of the insert and sent it to me.
1717252537468.png

Looks good. Any warrantee re fit?
Not that I'm aware of. You are responsible for taking accurate measurements and good pictures. They have a video of how to do it to get the best results, but ultimately you are the one accountable for the design you create. Their design engineers will go over your design and possibly make some suggestions to you. They did this for me when I left one of the accessory pockets very shallow. I believe they also added some cut outs around the wrist of my stock so I can get it out of the foam easily.

They have a video of how to do it and I did watch it before taking pictures and uploading to make sure I was doing it right.

The first time we went to Africa we had a Pelican 1750 with two (fully assembled) rifles with the scopes installed. We added our shooting sticks and a few knives that our outfitter wanted us to bring. Total weight was very close to the 50 lb limit, what was worse was having to lug that unwieldy thing around an airport. I said I would never do that again.

Not long after we returned, my wife and I changed our collection from traditional bolt action rifles to the Blaser R8 which negated the need for the 1750 case. I sold the case to another member and have been using the 1700 case for a number of years. I'm very happy with it.

As for full sized rifles in a Pelican 1700 or similar sized case...I've seen it done with the barreled action removed from the stock, but the other rifle was a 470NE double rifle. Photo courtesy of @One Day... I believe it would be possible to do two bolt action rifles in this manner, but I've not personally seen it.

View attachment 609955
Thanks @BeeMaa as I’ll be doing a self drive at the same time as my hunting safari space will be at a premium so this might just be the ticket. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainbet0346

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.