AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
My office/shop in our commercial building in the Bay Area is plugged and I really don’t want it to be my “Trophy Room”, even though it has become that by default.

I’m eligible, and in the position, to retire at 55 from my Union job in little over a year. I’ve been 100% debt free for many years, so I can afford to fund this project out of pocket and oversee construction myself. I’ve funded several capital improvements over the past two years on commercial property in CA & NV and I’m caught up. Outside of a few hunts these past 2 years, I’ve delayed gratification well enough, and to the point, where I’m really satisfied with the way things are financially and with the investments I’ve made. I live a pretty simple life really.

I’ll likely take my retirement in NV, where I have a place to build a guest house/lodge with a shop where I can display my current and future trophies.

This “concept” is what I’m looking at doing:

IMG_3917.jpeg

IMG_3919.jpeg

IMG_3918.jpeg

IMG_3921.jpeg

Has anyone done/built anything similar?

The dimensions will likely change, i.e. the garage will likely get bigger/longer. I also need to have an architect render the inside with elevation views.

If I don’t do this, I’ll likely buy a ranch out of state where everything is already done and there is plenty of game on the property. I’ve been looking at 500 to 800 Acres…

Thanks in advance…

Attachments

• IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3916.png
    IMG_3916.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
Looks fantastic, good luck with it!

Well Congrats on being able to do this project! Your plans look good. As a builder, I see countless people every month who "were" going to do a barndo project but the numbers just go astronomic. If you can get a real firm, detailed quote on all your costs, go for it. Most people go in with too many unknowns and blow the budget sky high. In our area, it is much less expensive and easier to build a home with a separate shop or trophy room next to it. Good luck with whatever you end up building.

Reactions: WAB
Well Congrats on being able to do this project! Your plans look good. As a builder, I see countless people every month who "were" going to do a barndo project but the numbers just go astronomic. If you can get a real firm, detailed quote on all your costs, go for it. Most people go in with too many unknowns and blow the budget sky high. In our area, it is much less expensive and easier to build a home with a separate shop or trophy room next to it. Good luck with whatever you end up building.

Thanks. Great points and suggestions. I have resources, but costs are still high in the Reno area… I’m capable of doing a lot myself and with subs. I’ll create a budget, along with a detailed schedule, and see where I can save some money. There is a decent 3 Bedroom 2 bath house on the same property that has a single car garage attached and a 2 car garage/shop detached right next to it. They need remodeling and upgrading.

We’re considering something similar, although probably on a smaller scale…

We’re currently looking at properties in the 80-100 acre size range in a couple of different areas… now that all the kids are out of the house and geographically dispersed all over the country we don’t really have to worry about a lot of extra space as it’s doubtful we’ll have more than one or two back “home” for a visit at the same time… so we’re looking to downsize the house to something probably half the square footage we currently have… but then also have a fairly large out building where we could store all of our stuff (UTV, motorcycles, kayaks, boat, trailer, etc plus any equipment we’d need to maintain the property..)… I also plan to have a separate smaller out building (maybe 10x20?) that would be my “shop” where I’d keep all of my hobby tools for knife making, gunsmithing, etc etc where I could work comfortably…

Thanks. Great points and suggestions. I have resources, but costs are still high in the Reno area… I’m capable of doing a lot myself and with subs. I’ll create a budget, along with a detailed schedule, and see where I can save some money. There is a decent 3 Bedroom 2 bath house on the same property that has a single car garage attached and a 2 car garage/shop detached right next to it. They need remodeling and upgrading.

That would be a much less expensive approach.

We’re considering something similar, although probably on a smaller scale…

We’re currently looking at properties in the 80-100 acre size range in a couple of different areas… now that all the kids are out of the house and geographically dispersed all over the country we don’t really have to worry about a lot of extra space as it’s doubtful we’ll have more than one or two back “home” for a visit at the same time… so we’re looking to downsize the house to something probably half the square footage we currently have… but then also have a fairly large out building where we could store all of our stuff (UTV, motorcycles, kayaks, boat, trailer, etc plus any equipment we’d need to maintain the property..)… I also plan to have a separate smaller out building (maybe 10x20?) that would be my “shop” where I’d keep all of my hobby tools for knife making, gunsmithing, etc etc where I could work comfortably…

I was looking for a 40 to 80 acre place when we found our farm. Turns out those smaller plots command a premium as they are typically bought by city folks looking for a country place. Going up to a quarter section plus puts you in the farmland category, which, in our area, is less than 1/3 the cost per acre.

160 acres would be a bit bigger than we’d want to manage… but if I could find the right place where most of that was wooded and not in need of maintenance, that could work… I’ll look into quarter section and larger and see how the price per acre shake out…thanks for the tip!

It is a lot of work. However, I have planted 40,000 longleaf pines and burn manage much of it. Cash renting non-wooded acres reduces workload as well. However, I do spend a lot of time on a tractor and a chainsaw. I kind of grew up that way, so it’s a bit cathartic for me after a high stress corporate career.

I’ve looked “on line” in Northern Ca (Coastal), NV at the foot of the Sierras and just North of Reno, Northern Washington, and Texas… I recently looked at Northern Arkansas and Southern Missouri… because I know guys that have places there. It’s seems like most everywhere is still pretty high $$. I’ve got time if I were to go that route…

I’m obligated to keep a place in Northern California due to family and business commitments, but Ca has a lot of problems and there is a lot about it I don’t like…

I was looking for a 40 to 80 acre place when we found our farm. Turns out those smaller plots command a premium as they are typically bought by city folks looking for a country place. Going up to a quarter section plus puts you in the farmland category, which, in our area, is less than 1/3 the cost per acre.
Absolutely! The 60 acres next to my quarter section sold last year for 25% more than my 160. They then sold off 30 acres for more than they paid for the 60!! I'm just jealous I didn't have the opportunity....

160 acres would be a bit bigger than we’d want to manage… but if I could find the right place where most of that was wooded and not in need of maintenance, that could work… I’ll look into quarter section and larger and see how the price per acre shake out…thanks for the tip!

Get to know the farm credit folks in the area you are interested in. They sometimes have to take property in on foreclosure and they hate to hold property. They are also salt of the earth folks in the Ag Community so a relationship is likely to turn into a close friendship.

Back in Minnesota we looked at building a Barndo type trophy room. Tying it onto the garage with an overlook from the big spare room above the garage and a stair case going down a smaller Cabela's type mountain. Utility room under part of the mountain. We were going back and forth about a gun vault under there or up front. I had planned a 10' workbench, half for cleaning guns and half for reloading. A kitchenette and bar up front with additional trophy space above the bathroom and possible gun vault.

Also tried to design it for resale so it could be a large extra garage or work shop. It was pushing $500,000.00 and we opted not to spend that but rather move out of Minnesota. Especially as I work towards retirement and moving earnings to a state with no State Income tax was looking to add up.

BTW in Minnesota we own 160 acres with about 35 tillable, a pond, lots of woods and some willow swamps and prairie ground. Covered up in Turkey and whitetails with black bear, ruffled grouse, woodcock, pheasant, geese, various ducks including wood duck, swans, sand hill cranes, etc. We plan to sell the place and buy more land in Texas after we finish moving everything out. Especially the rhino;)

We have 55 acres in Texas with some of everything. But yeah, larger tracts are usually a better deal Although more total $$$.

I recently looked at Northern Arkansas

If you like NW Arkansas, also look at E Oklahoma. The terrain is very similar, and land prices are a bit lower (Walmart, JB Hunt, Tyson, etc all having HQ’s in NW AR drive land values up in some places)…

We’re primarily looking in N and E TX, E OK, and NW AR.. but we’re headed to Idaho to chase elk in about a week and a half and plan on checking out options in CO, WY, and MT along the way… we’ve already got about 25 acres in Southern Colorado that we really love, but while it’s a wonderful place for our little getaway cabin in the woods, it’s not really what we’re looking for in a retirement residence (9200 ft elevation, 15 miles to the closest utility pole,1000+ feet down to get to water, etc etc)…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SallyNesbi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?