Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NMLRA, SCI,
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa, Zimbabwe
My international flights from the US to Africa are on Qatar Airlines, which includes a several (6-8) hour layover in Doha.

Rather than spending all my time at the airport, I am considering doing some sightseeing and most likely some souvenir shopping.

I have questions:

1. Is there somewhere I can safely store my luggage at the airport while I'm out sightseeing and shopping?

2. What is the custom in dealing with the locals? i.e. Is haggling required, as is South America? Or is it common practice to pay the "shop" price?

3. Any recommendations as to the best places to shop and places to visit?

4. Is it offensive or customary to tip at restaurants and drivers?

5. Has anyone traveled through Doha with alcohol in route to their safari and did you have any problems?

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated.

Flew thru there in November last year...9 hour layover between flights....logistically...1 hour m/l clearing thru airport...stayed in the Business lounge with food, drinks, shower, rest area lounge. Departure gate 1 hour prior, had a firearm checked thru, but are cleared separately due to firearm not loaded on flight until I cleared the ticketing gate. Very well treated by very friendly staff. If your layover is 6 to 8 hours I would not risk leaving the airport...your flight normally leave at 2:00 am for JNB...risk reward not there in my opinion. The airport itself is a photo opportunity not to be missed. Immaculate in every way, Qatar air staff is always available throughout the airport for any question. A first class operation.

This sounds interesting. What are the US originating airport options for Qatar?

We had the nine hour layover on our trip. Qatar Air put us up in a room for the trip over, not on the return trip. For the return trip, we stayed at the airport hotel and got some sleep and a good shower without having to leave.
But on the way over, we got off the plane, no firearms, we had archery, and made our way to the front lobby. Our checked bags remained just that, checked bags, we never saw them in Doha. We exchanged some cash for local currency, and then rode in the provided by Qatar Air van to our airport. Once we got checked into the hotel, we put our carry on stuff in our room and then caught a cab to the market. We did some shopping, ate some dinner there in the market, shopped some more, then caught another cab back to the hotel. We still managed to get a good nap in a nice bed, then got a shower, and dressed. The hotel knew when to have us at the airport and they called the rooms to make sure everyone was up and ready.
Six hour layover may not be enough to leave the airport, but the nine hour layovers provide the time to at least experience the town a bit. If you have the nine hour layover, I'd recommend going out. If you only have six, probably not, you'd be rushed.

When I went through Doha my family and I took the city tour. There is a small fee but it was worth the money. Use to be free. Drove around city and stopped at various sightseeing sites. Did stop at market, souk. I think the tour was 3 hours. I flew out of Atlanta. Upcoming trip will fly Delta and just get it over with. Evening flying business class this way to Joubert is just too long. If you have to spend night in Joubert stay at African Sky. I can not say enough great things about this place.
Don

Ditto on Africa Sky in Johannesburg. I’ve stayed there twice. Greet you at the airport. Help you get you guns from the Police station. Load you in their van and off to AS. Nice rooms and great food. Next AM off to the airport where they help you get your guns checked in. Great staff.
NOTE: Your bill will be in Rand, not dollars. One guy blew up when he saw the 5000 number which is only like $450.

Also for $ 80 will meet you at plane a guide you through customs and immigration. Well worth it if it is your first time or you hate waiting in line

Ditto on Africa Sky. We’ve stayed there in and out on half a dozen trips. The staff make us feel like family.

Several cities. I have flown Dallas, Philidelphia, Chicago. It pays to check. Boston and NY have flights, but typically more expensive than cities I listed. Not sure about Left Coast cities.

All were easy transitions and handled gun travel expertly. Leaving Jo’berg is the one to leave plenty of time as they do not get in any big hurry no matter how close to your flight you are.

I can answer nº5, no problems as long as it is unopened, in the closed plastic bag you get at the duty free.

My international flights from the US to Africa are on Qatar Airlines, which includes a several (6-8) hour layover in Doha.

Rather than spending all my time at the airport, I am considering doing some sightseeing and most likely some souvenir shopping.

I have questions:

1. Is there somewhere I can safely store my luggage at the airport while I'm out sightseeing and shopping?

2. What is the custom in dealing with the locals? i.e. Is haggling required, as is South America? Or is it common practice to pay the "shop" price?

3. Any recommendations as to the best places to shop and places to visit?

4. Is it offensive or customary to tip at restaurants and drivers?

5. Has anyone traveled through Doha with alcohol in route to their safari and did you have any problems?

Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated.
When is your trip scheduled?

Several cities. I have flown Dallas, Philidelphia, Chicago. It pays to check. Boston and NY have flights, but typically more expensive than cities I listed. Not sure about Left Coast cities.

Qatar has already closed some of those routes due to Covid-19 , so I'd check what the current working routes are if planning soon.

I'll be leaving Washington, DC area, Dulles airport. Qatar out of Dulles is about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of Delta out of Atlanta and for me, traffic and parking wise, it's easier to get to.

We had the nine hour layover on our trip. Qatar Air put us up in a room for the trip over, not on the return trip. For the return trip, we stayed at the airport hotel and got some sleep and a good shower without having to leave.
But on the way over, we got off the plane, no firearms, we had archery, and made our way to the front lobby. Our checked bags remained just that, checked bags, we never saw them in Doha. We exchanged some cash for local currency, and then rode in the provided by Qatar Air van to our airport. Once we got checked into the hotel, we put our carry on stuff in our room and then caught a cab to the market. We did some shopping, ate some dinner there in the market, shopped some more, then caught another cab back to the hotel. We still managed to get a good nap in a nice bed, then got a shower, and dressed. The hotel knew when to have us at the airport and they called the rooms to make sure everyone was up and ready.
Six hour layover may not be enough to leave the airport, but the nine hour layovers provide the time to at least experience the town a bit. If you have the nine hour layover, I'd recommend going out. If you only have six, probably not, you'd be rushed.

I'll have check my itinerary again to be sure, but going over it's a 6 hour layover and on return it's either 8 or 9 hour layover. Or visa versa.

I'll be traveling with weapons, going over I'll be bringing along some Tennessee moonshine and Kentucky bourbon, for my PH friends, in my check baggage, and under the South Africa legal import limit.

OK, but when?

When is your trip scheduled?

I was suppose to be on my way this morning, 10 May, now that this Coronavirus has screwed things up for this year, I'm looking rebook for May or June 2021.

Got it,(y) your initial post made it sound a bit more imminent!:eek:

In reality next May or June may be optimistic...:(. Who knows what shape things are in a year? We could be battling another wave of this and going thru the same things we are right now. Things will be different from here on out, we will not just plop back to where we were a few months ago.
I would be very happy to have to eat those words a year from now...:eek:

When I went through Doha my family and I took the city tour. There is a small fee but it was worth the money. Use to be free. Drove around city and stopped at various sightseeing sites. Did stop at market, souk. I think the tour was 3 hours. I flew out of Atlanta. Upcoming trip will fly Delta and just get it over with. Evening flying business class this way to Joubert is just too long. If you have to spend night in Joubert stay at African Sky. I can not say enough great things about this place.
Don
Joubert??:confused: That in France?? LOL.:whistle::rolleyes::D

In reality next May or June may be optimistic...:(. Who knows what shape things are in a year? We could be battling another wave of this and going thru the same things we are right now. Things will be different from here on out, we will not just plop back to where we were a few months ago.
I would be very happy to have to eat those words a year from now...:eek:

Since my travel agent can't confirm flights over 12 months out, I'll have to wait till mid August-early September before rebooking my flights.

If I can't do May or June, then I'll try for an August 2021 time frame.

Hopefully there will be sort of normalcy in a year. But I agree, I dont think things are going to be as they once were, prior to this Coronavirus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilheminaN

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?