SkullKeeper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Has anyone (yet) used 15.5 in place of 15 in heavy rifles ? I’m looking at possibly using it in 450#2, 458 African, and 404J. RL15 seems impossible for me to locate.
Thank you in advance for any input.

I used it a in 470 double. Pretty much a substitute for RL15 with more temperature stability.

Since it is slightly slower burning than RL15, you should be fine with RL15 starting loads as starting loads for your own data development.

An Alliant spokesman confirmed this with Rifle Shooter Magazine saying you can use Reloader 15 starting load data for RL 15.5.

Last edited:
@Rare Breed has used it in 470,I believe he has used it in 404 as well. I would contact him.

I have some but have not done any work with it yet.

It is indeed too bulky for ar grendel loads.

Now in my cz bolt grendel with the longer mag length I can use it should prove to be useful. My money load for a 120 gold dot is with varget, will be interesting when I run the 15.5 with the gold dot to see what it does.

I used it a in 470 double. Pretty much a substitute for RL15 with more temperature stability.

Since it is slightly slower burning than RL15, you should be fine with RL15 starting loads as starting loads for your own data development.

An Alliant spokesman confirmed this with Rifle Shooter Magazine saying you can use Reloader 15 starting load data for RL 15.5.
That confirmation is very good news, I just hope I can locate more RL15 at some point but in the meantime I will try the 15.5
I’m curious - what is your load data for your 470 ?

My load data comes from @Rare Breed, to prevent mistakes I would contact him directly.

He has a couple of threads here where he provides his load data as well that you can search for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smsflynewprofile

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available