Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NAHC
Hunted
South Africa, Ohio, Florida, Wyoming, Arizona
On my next trip to Africa, I'd really like to see the Okavango delta, possibly for one or two Cape Buffalo, Eland,and most of all Red Lechwe. The information I've been able to gather is very conflicting and contradictory. Several species of Dangerous game can be hunted around the fringes of the OKV, but Lechwe aren't listed as being on license there, only farther south towards the Kalahari region. What am I missing?

I have not researched hunting on dangerous game concessions in Botswana. My guess is it’s not on quota free range after hunting reopened so only on game ranches. You can get all those animals in the Caprivi in Namibia though. I’ve taken 3 red lechwe there and my largest eland.
IMG_2840.jpeg

Last edited:
I have not researched hunting on dangerous game concessions in Botswana. My guess is it’s not on quota free range after hunting reopened so only on game ranches. You can get all those animals in the Caprivi in Namibia though. I’ve taken 3 red lechwe there and my largest eland.
View attachment 567921

I suspect that is correct. Plains game quota has been very restricted on government concessions and the Delta has been largely given over to photo safaris.

View attachment 567921
Thanks FOX, that one looks like a dandy. That is very much what I have pictured in my mind. If it's possible, 21 days or even a month might be needed for a proper Buffalo hunt, plus Plains Game, plus wing shooting, plus a little fishing in the main river channels. To me this is what is so exciting about this area of Africa, the chance to do nearly all the things that most of us love to do as Sportsmen in one area.

Thanks FOX, that one looks like a dandy. That is very much what I have pictured in my mind. If it's possible, 21 days or even a month might be needed for a proper Buffalo hunt, plus Plains Game, plus wing shooting, plus a little fishing in the main river channels. To me this is what is so exciting about this area of Africa, the chance to do nearly all the things that most of us love to do as Sportsmen in one area.
21 days would be a lot in one area. Most Caprivi buffalo hunts are sold as 7-10 days with success rates approaching 100% maybe 12-14 for two buffalo. You could also hunt elephant, hippo, croc either as trophy or non-exportable own use animals to extend the days. Own use in Caprivi can really be a great deal especially on hippo and croc.
The two more recent hunts I did in Namibia I visited multiple areas. The first was 15 hunting days I hunted Kaokoland in NW Namibia then finished in Caprivi. The second was 11 hunting days. I started in Caprivi and finished in waterberg park for eland. I did some farm hunting on both hunts as well. The longest I’ve ever spent in one camp was 16 days and after the hunt I really wished I had taken the opportunity to change camps and see a new area. Namibia really gives you that flexibility if you go for something like 14+ days and see several areas. I think seeing multiple areas is the better experience. In a place like Caprivi, the game movements can change a lot week to week as well, sometimes it’s better to move if another area can give you better opportunities. My first trip there I never saw a mature kudu bull in 7 days. My next trip the next year I saw several 50” kudu every day and took two in same area.

Last edited:
Fox, have you ever hunted the Kafue Flats region for Lechwe? That was another location besides the Caprivi thats on my short list.

Fox, have you ever hunted the Kafue Flats region for Lechwe? That was another location besides the Caprivi thats on my short list.
I have not but kafue lechwe hunts in Zambia are typically sold as one day hunts in that area as a side hunt to whatever concession you were primarily hunting either at start or end of your hunt. In Caprivi you can hunt red lechwe and multiple other species in same area.

You can take a look at this Zambia hunt report from @Scott CWO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MindyTakas

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles