Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Folks,

I should've done my homework before getting here to Kauai. Been here a week, and have one more. My lovely wife mentioned fishing, but the last time we tried that here, it wasn't such a great outfit. Anyone have any recommendations for a fishing guide, I would likely guess they'd be operating out of Port Allen.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

Folks,

I should've done my homework before getting here to Kauai. Been here a week, and have one more. My lovely wife mentioned fishing, but the last time we tried that here, it wasn't such a great outfit. Anyone have any recommendations for a fishing guide, I would likely guess they'd be operating out of Port Allen.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.
Hopefully someone will chime in soon. Post pictures if you go!

Don’t have any fishing recommendations, but have lots of snorkeling or diving recommendations on the north end of the island. Greater Princeville.

Off shore I'm assuming?

I've fly fished the flats around Annini Beach on the north side. Really the only spot on the island for that. No experience off shore.

Don’t have any fishing recommendations, but have lots of snorkeling or diving recommendations on the north end of the island. Greater Princeville.

Staying in Princeville actually.

Off shore I'm assuming?

I've fly fished the flats around Annini Beach on the north side. Really the only spot on the island for that. No experience off shore.

Saw a guy trying fly fishing at Tunnels beach yesterday. But yah for me looking offshore.

Ohana fishing charters has some nice fishing videos on Youtube. Their website says they are the #1 ranked charter on Kauai?

What about HuntFishKauai.

Saw them, actually talked to them before we left about a pig hunt. But at a $1000, that's a pretty expensive feral pig. I'll go back and look at their fishing operation.

Ohana fishing charters has some nice fishing videos on Youtube. Their website says they are the #1 ranked charter on Kauai?

I'll look them up, thanks.

Several operators over where the cruise ships dock, fairly close to the airport....mahi mahi and wahoo offshore most times now...inshore has some unfamiliar species, butterfish, etc.

Last edited:
HuntFishKauai is who I’d suggest also. I haven’t fished with them yet, but next time I’m on Kauai that’s who I plan to charter.

Last recommendation: bring fresh dramamine--those seas stay rough most days. Plus, watch for whale spouts and sounding while you fish--free, and you will probably see as much as if you paid for whale watching tour.

I ended up on one of the Ohana boats. Crew was good and I think they worked hard to put us on big tuna, but it didn't happen. We slowed down and jigged for Skipjack and caught a bunch of those, but it was big Ahi and Ono we were after and it didn't happen unfortunately. That's fishing and I don't hold it against the crew at all.

Yes the seas were fairly rough. I paid $225 for this 6hr trip which was actually quite competitive comparatively speaking. But I'd sooner have paid double to be on a more comfortable boat and one much better designed for fishing. All fishing was done from a seated position and at a low point in the center of the boat. It made for a weird angle, but there was little room to move around and the rear deck was designed for something else other than sport fishing or designed by an idiot. With less than comfortable seats and being stuck sitting down virtually for the entire 6 hours and the rough seas I was quite ready to be back on land by the end of the trip. This wasn't my first trip on the ocean and I seem less prone to seasickness than others, so I did avoid that issue.

Lesson learned, like I haven't been taught it before, do your homework in advance to know exactly what you're getting into. Now where again have I heard that previously?

@PHOENIX PHIL Sounds like you had an adventure, always next time.
I do feel better knowing your back to work and not sitting on the beach sipping a cocktail while Im out here sweating away...

@PHOENIX PHIL Sounds like you had an adventure, always next time.
I do feel better knowing your back to work and not sitting on the beach sipping a cocktail while Im out here sweating away...
Who said I was back at work? Grilling lunch at the moment. We leave tomorrow unfortunately.

IMG_1201.jpeg

Just now seeing this, but for future reference I wouldn't book an offshore trip in Hawaii anywhere but out of Kona. Worth it even if you have to catch an island hopper flight for the day. Calm seas, renowned boats and captains, and good chances of big marlin and tuna any day of the year. Most charters in the other ports seem to be a choppy boat ride that occasionally catch a fish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justcbdstore

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek