Range time with the Africa Battery

Backyardsniper

AH legend
Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Messages
2,017
Reaction score
5,087
Location
Kentucky
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Had time to go to the range today and start getting serious with the rifles I'm taking to Africa. There was a couple of experiments I had been wanting to run. I'm planning to run Aperture sights while I hunt with QD scopes as back up on both my rifles. I put a Vortex 1-4 on the 458 Lott today so I could dial for different distances and see what the rifle was really doing. Also checked the repeatability of my 30/06 set up switching back and forth from Aperture to the Swaro 3.5-10. Three shots with the /06 including the cold bore at 100. On the cardboard target with the scope followed by a 3 shot at 100 with the aperture, the one with my thumb in it.
Message_1630780809637.jpg
20210904_132303.jpg
 
Switched to the 458 and dialed up for 200yds and put for a solid 1.5"group at 200. All these were off a bench obviously as I'm just now getting the loads worked up for these rifles. I was very happy with this so far. Even put one on the 400yard gong with the 458. 14.1 minute come up from a 100 yard zero. 200 yards was 3.6 min, or 7" roughly. Things are looking very promising.
20210904_131453.jpg
 
From my previous experience most local "smiths" cannot rectify large caliber CZ(s) feeding issues. Maybe yours is better than most. AHR used to "fix" CZ issues but now I think that work has been taken over by Matrix. Do a search on AF to confirm that. Better yet here is the link: https://www.matrixgunsmithing.com/
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.03.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.03.07 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.03.07 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 9.03.07 AM 1.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I certainly hope so. I am a firm believer in the whole train like you fight thing. I plan to pick up. Good set.of African creations shooting sticks at the DSC and then burn a whole bunch of powder over the top of them between now and time to go hunt. Also plan to whitetail hunt this year with the 458. Nothing like actual field time to get comfortable with your equipment.
 
I certainly hope so. I am a firm believer in the whole train like you fight thing. I plan to pick up. Good set.of African creations shooting sticks at the DSC and then burn a whole bunch of powder over the top of them between now and time to go hunt. Also plan to whitetail hunt this year with the 458. Nothing like actual field time to get comfortable with your equipment.
Amen to that!
My problem is wearing out barrels in the process. :)
 
Switched to the 458 and dialed up for 200yds and put for a solid 1.5"group at 200. All these were off a bench obviously as I'm just now getting the loads worked up for these rifles. I was very happy with this so far. Even put one on the 400yard gong with the 458. 14.1 minute come up from a 100 yard zero. 200 yards was 3.6 min, or 7" roughly. Things are looking very promising. View attachment 422186
@Backyardsniper
Daniel Boone could have taken lessons from you. They are good groups.
Bob
 
Nice shooting. My 30-06 also shoots the first round high and right of the rest of the group. I reckon you are good to go.

Whats the problem with your 458 Lott feeding ?
 
Sniper--those are some impressive groups! Bravo.

Re. the shooting sticks, I've found that (whether you use your own or the PH's), adding something like a Stoney Point Tag-Along Arm almost duplicates the steady feel of shooting from a bench. You obviously can shoot like a champ, but this goes a long way to eliminate any kind of anxiety before and during the hunt. It essentially supports the rifle from two points (front and rear) while not adding any bulk to the tripod.

1638455969691.png


Here's me using it to bag my kudu:

1638456087001.png
 
Sniper--those are some impressive groups! Bravo.

Re. the shooting sticks, I've found that (whether you use your own or the PH's), adding something like a Stoney Point Tag-Along Arm almost duplicates the steady feel of shooting from a bench. You obviously can shoot like a champ, but this goes a long way to eliminate any kind of anxiety before and during the hunt. It essentially supports the rifle from two points (front and rear) while not adding any bulk to the tripod.

View attachment 439801

Here's me using it to bag my kudu:

View attachment 439802
Nice! Haven't seen leggings like those since the boys were pushing up Kettle Hill back in '98. Need a slouch or campaign hat to go with them and that belt. :unsure: ;)
 
LOL - believe it or not, I have the very hat... I just thought that on safari, a Borsalino would be more David Ommanney :LOL:
 
Sniper--those are some impressive groups! Bravo.

Re. the shooting sticks, I've found that (whether you use your own or the PH's), adding something like a Stoney Point Tag-Along Arm almost duplicates the steady feel of shooting from a bench. You obviously can shoot like a champ, but this goes a long way to eliminate any kind of anxiety before and during the hunt. It essentially supports the rifle from two points (front and rear) while not adding any bulk to the tripod.

View attachment 439801

Here's me using it to bag my kudu:

View attachment 439802
@Tom Leoni
Love it is the tag along a separate attachment you can buy
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top