Range days sometimes go poorly...as in Ka Boom!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Had my first catastrophic failure today in a .30-06 Mauser 98, the Churchill of recent acquisition, Sorry @Hunter-Habib!

Put a few sighter fouler rounds thru it, no problem. Started to shoot a mild handload, first shot KaBloowie! Rifle is toast, damage to the bolt, lug recesses set well back, extractor broken, stock badly broken, shooter shaken, but not stirred or injured, just pissed.

Not sure what caused it, probably never know, case head let go apparently, 52 grs of IMR 4350, Winchester case on 2nd load in same rifle, WLR primer, 180 gr Sierra Game King.

Had to beat the bolt out of the receiver, salvage a few parts but otherwise its totaled.

Barrel is good, was not an obstruction issue. It certainly got my attention, though oddly nobody else at the range noticed at all!
A few pics.

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4139.JPG

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4145.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

Wow

Glad you are ok Scott! Shits about the rifle! Can always buy a new rifle, but a bolt through the cheek is forever!

Good Heavens ! @sestoppelman you could have gotten hurt. I'm incredibly relieved to hear that you're completely safe and unharmed.

Did you use these same hand loads in other rifles in the past without problems ?

On this March, My Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe in 7x57mm Mauser will have been giving me 35 years of hard service in the hunting fields of Asia & Africa & Europe & Australia & North America & South America. If it ever failed me even once during these 35 years, then I would not be amongst the living today.

I wish that there was some way that we could find out exactly what went wrong.

Stay safe.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I did discover what happened and it was entirely my fault! Yes, wrong powder, notice the similarity in color of these two bottles and the imagine 52 grs of the wrong one!!
Rookie mistake by a 50 year reloader.
IMG_4153.JPG

Im just glad you OK @sestoppelman. I have had the same sort of thing happen on a rem 700 30-06. It was due to a heavy charge on a hand load. looking at your load it all seems ok so god know what happend but he must bee looking down on you

Ok just seen your pic of the 2 powders and like i said thats what happend to me, I use a lot of Vit powders and all the bottle loot the same apart from the tiny number on them. I always double then triple check

Good to hear no one got hurt. This reloading business can be scary…

Glad you are safe my friend!!!! rifles can be replaced. and it is a reminder to us all to check and recheck our components every time we sit down at the reloading bench.
Thanks, am thanking my lucky stars and just pulled bullets on the rest of the box, that was just the first round and the lowest charge!!

OI!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vern261663

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!