Quotes that Speak to Hunters

Not sure of the exact quote. John Wayne to I think his son Michael Wayne in the movie McClintock.

'....well if you can shoot that far there's a deer beyond my right shoulder....'

' ....you only kill for two reasons....to stay alive and for meat. We need fresh meat...'

Michael Wayne's response: '....I don't kill to prove a point....'
 
“I am not shitting you this time, go on one more hunt this year and I’m done!”
-my ex-wife
 
At its worst, a safari is the greatest adventure that can happen to a man in his bemused and muddled age. At its best, a safari is a venture into magic, an experience so rare and fine as to be almost too good for the people who enjoy it.

- Ruark
 
"Despite our ever-changing, ever-indignant world with its growing ignorance of and indifference to the ways of the wild, I remain a predator, pitying those who revel in artificiality and synthetic success while regarding me and my kind as relics of a time and place no longer valued or understood. I stalk a real world of dark wood and tall grass stirred by a restless wind blowing across sunlit water and beneath star-strewn sky. And on those occasions when I choose to kill, to claim some small part of nature's bounty for my own, I do so by choice, quickly with the learned efficiency of a skilled hunter.


Further, in my heart and mind, I know the truth and make no apologies for my actions or my place in time.


Others around me may opt to eat only plants, nuts and fruits. Still others may employ faceless strangers to procure their meats, their leather, their feathers, and all those niceties and necessities of life. Such is their right, of course, and I wish them well. All I ask in return is no one begrudge me - and all of us who may answer the primordial stirrings within our hunter's souls - my right to do some of these things myself.”
M.R. James
 
"Well, Let Me Just Quote The Late Great Colonel Sanders, Who Said... 'I'm Too Drunk To Taste This Chicken.'"
 
The full quote from Fred Bear (part of it mentioned above)

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.” — Fred Bear
 
“Ruggedness and refinement can coexist”

From Jim Casada’s book about TR. supposedly a quote from one of TR’s early outdoorsmen mentors. A preemptive strike against modern wokeness.
 
"All of a sudden where you had birds, there aint any. This is no good for anybody"

- Ruark's ol pawpaw again

The entire text of the old man and the boy is suitable here.

"Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."

- Mark Twain, also a quote gold mine.
 
re: DG hunting, "When in doubt, make sure his lights are completely out". Mr. Hogpatrol Sr.
 
“All his life, a man hunts for something.
Every hour, every day is his prey, every piece of knowledge, every form of beauty.
And then, people hunt each other as well.
Life is nothing but an endless hunt — remember this!”

— Socrates

(A friend in Transylvania, true hunter, sent this to me. The Socrates of this quote is a character in a book)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,259
Messages
1,570,069
Members
168,830
Latest member
EulahBergm
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top