AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC, WSF, Pope and Young, Boone and Crockett, Full Curl Society, RMEF
Hunted
U.S.A. (Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Wyoming, Montana, Alaska); Namibia, RSA, Mozambique
Hi All,

Heading to RSA at the moment and thought I’d share my experience traveling with a firearm on Qatar.

This forum lacked concise guidance, but here’s the short synopsis of what you need to do and what you need to provide.

1) I called a month in advance (simple 1-800 helpline) and informed the airline of my intent to transport a firearm. They collected basic information about the rifle/ammunition and advised what I should bring at check-in.

2) Assembled required paperwork copies
- Valid 4457
- SAPS Permit (completed via Afton)
- Invitation Letter from outfitter
- Copy of Passport
- Declaration of Surrender of Firearm

Note: They had a Declaration of Surrender of Firearm waiting at the counter based on the information I provided when I called, but chose to use mine as it was typed and likely more detailed/accurate.

3) Check-in: The counter supervisor spotted the gun case and pulled us out of line and immediately to the front. They weighed the ammunition case to confirm it didn’t exceed 5kg. They didn’t require me to open the rifle case. Overall the process to check bags, get tickets, and sign firearm paperwork was 15 minutes.

4) I was stopped and told to stand aside briefly in Seattle and Doha. The 1 or 2 minute delay was so the supervisor could advise that the firearm had been loaded onto the aircraft.

And that’s all so far. I don’t anticipate any issues at O.R. Tambo. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone!

Bivy

Hi All,

Heading to RSA at the moment and thought I’d share my experience traveling with a firearm on Qatar.

This forum lacked concise guidance, but here’s the short synopsis of what you need to do and what you need to provide.

1) I called a month in advance (simple 1-800 helpline) and informed the airline of my intent to transport a firearm. They collected basic information about the rifle/ammunition and advised what I should bring at check-in.

- Valid 4457
- Copy of Passport

Note: They had a Declaration of Surrender of Firearm waiting at the counter based on the information I provided when I called, but chose to use mine as it was typed and likely more detailed/accurate.

3) Check-in: The counter supervisor spotted the gun case and pulled us out of line and immediately to the front. They weighed the ammunition case to confirm it didn’t exceed 5kg. They didn’t require me to open the rifle case. Overall the process to check bags, get tickets, and sign firearm paperwork was 15 minutes.

4) I was stopped and told to stand aside briefly in Seattle and Doha. The 1 or 2 minute delay was so the supervisor could advise that the firearm had been loaded onto the aircraft.

And that’s all so far. I don’t anticipate any issues at O.R. Tambo. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone!

Bivy

Yep, that sounds familiar. Surprised you didn't find that already on AH, I know it's been shared. But this is for certain concise.

I'd add that my first experience with Qatar was only by email and it was a little slow. If you have the actually phone number, please do share, Seems things move easier that way.

Side note: If you use a travel agency specializing in hunters travel, they can handle this all for you.

Qatar Support # +1-877-777-2827

In regard to travel agencies—I’ve had better luck on my own, minimal issues, and the reality is this stuff isn’t that hard. People make it hard.

I’ve used a couple of the most popular hunting-focused travel agencies and pricing was higher than I can manage with Alaska Airlines benefits, companion fares, and points

I had a very different experience in the fall of 22. When I called and emailed, nobody ever knew anything. I tried to get the necessary clearance for the better part of a month. Every referral lead to a dead end. With two weeks to go before departure, I called Gracy Travel, and, for a fee, they had everything sorted out within three or four days. From that point on, there were no difficulties. The experience left me feeling ambivalent about an otherwise exceptional airline.

My notes all are two years old and Heathrow to NZ. Very easy Same as the above OP. Easy and a breeze to deal with. Good to see they have not changed.

I flew to Nambia in 2023. I chose Travel Express and flew Qatar Airlines. She had my gun paperwork for the airlines at least a month prior to my departure from IAH.
One suggestion I will make to anyone flying ... Always have backup documentation and any approvals for your guns. If an airline misplaces any information you have the paperwork to show them.

All good information for someone like me who is new and still learning. I've still a long wait until Sept. '25 and still a lot to learn about getting to S.A. Thinking seriously of taking an airline like Qatar or Emirates even if it takes longer just for for the comfort for the price difference between those and US airlines. Thanks for the information, I've a lot to learn.

@sgtsabai I’ve also flown with Emirates with firearms, no complaints same service firearm wise as Qatar.
Dont worry it will come sooner than you think (y)

Hi All,

- Valid 4457
- Copy of Passport

Bivy
What kind of ammo case do you have, and where did you buy it?

Hi All,

- Valid 4457
- Copy of Passport

Bivy
Bivy,
Thanks for posting your experience. It is the same experience we have had with one exception. I use a TA so I don't have to do the call in to inform them.
I'll be on Qatar with my group very soon!
Philip

All good information for someone like me who is new and still learning. I've still a long wait until Sept. '25 and still a lot to learn about getting to S.A. Thinking seriously of taking an airline like Qatar or Emirates even if it takes longer just for for the comfort for the price difference between those and US airlines. Thanks for the information, I've a lot to learn.

Unless you are flying business class I'll recommend that you fly the most direct route that you can to get there. That 24 hour + in the air time on Qatar is a killer in cattle class. I flew it a couple of years ago and after getting home I came to the conclusion that I'd never fly it again. But Qatar was picked because it was at the end of Covid and they were the most dependable airline to get us to where we wanted to go.

I also highly recommend a travel agent that is familiar with hunters flying to South Africa. The little that you pay them for their services is well worth it in eliminating things that you either forgot or have to do prior to your flights.

Used Travel Express last year flying Qatar from Houston to Doha and then on to Johannesburg.
They were very good with the firearms and ammunition check in process knowing exactly what to do.
Qatar Airlines made it very simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DominiqueM

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?