Progressive press

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’ve been reloading for around 35 years. Always used a single stage press. With cost and availability of ammo now I was thinking I would step it up a bit.

Is a progressive press accurate enough to load hunting cal. Ex. 30-06, 270, 308, etc.

If so what would be a good press to do this with?

Dillon Precision makes the best progressive presses IMHO. It’s plenty repeatable enough for plinking or whitetail hunting loads. My buddy uses his for 223 and 9mm mostly, but 308 when he feels lazy. I only have a MEC Grabber for shotgun loads, but that’s also the only thing I have components for.

Edit: the 1050 is on super backorder but you *may* be able to find a used one

Last edited:
The Dillons are accurate enough for loading hunting rifle cartridge ammo. The only thing you’ll find is that the powder measure doesn’t meter extruded powder all that well. If there’s a short stick or ball powder that matches your loading preferences you’re golden.

Dillon Precision makes the best progressive presses IMHO. It’s plenty repeatable enough for plinking or whitetail hunting loads. My buddy uses his for 223 and 9mm mostly, but 308 when he feels lazy. I only have a MEC Grabber for shotgun loads, but that’s also the only thing I have components for.

Edit: the 1050 is on super backorder but you *may* be able to find a used one
I had a progressive and the damn thing got to throwing a charge and a half to doubles. I got some of those loads mixed in with some others in a class and seized up the receiver. Couldn't get the bolt open with a hammer. Ruined the receiver. When I got home I pulled all the bullets and 60 out of 100 were way over max. I called the company and all the response I got was, "That was a pretty heavy load." No offer to stand by their "lifetime warranty". Since then I use only a single stage and weigh every charge. May take a little longer but I know what I'm getting.

My question is just how much shooting do you do? If it is getting up into the upper hundreds or thousands of round a year then a progressive may be what you need. I like sitting at the bench during the winter months and loading up the next summers rounds on a single stage press. While not fast if I am steady I can put out quite a bit of ammo.

But if I were to purchase a progressive Dillon would be the way that I would go. Do they still send out that nice catalog ever few months? I haven't seen one in a number of years.

Never used a progressive on metallic cartridges. I use a ponsness/Warren on shotshells. IMO the gold standard but they are proud of them.

I’ve been reloading for around 35 years. Always used a single stage press. With cost and availability of ammo now I was thinking I would step it up a bit.

Is a progressive press accurate enough to load hunting cal. Ex. 30-06, 270, 308, etc.

I would go with the 550 for cheaper caliber conversions. Otherwise the 750 if you want auto indexing. Also check the cartridge max length for each press. The 550 handles longer cases IIRC.
I had a progressive and the damn thing got to throwing a charge and a half to doubles. I got some of those loads mixed in with some others in a class and seized up the receiver. Couldn't get the bolt open with a hammer. Ruined the receiver. When I got home I pulled all the bullets and 60 out of 100 were way over max. I called the company and all the response I got was, "That was a pretty heavy load." No offer to stand by their "lifetime warranty". Since then I use only a single stage and weigh every charge. May take a little longer but I know what I'm getting.
What color was this progressive press? The light blue one has been good to me for something like 100,000 rounds or so.
My question is just how much shooting do you do? If it is getting up into the upper hundreds or thousands of round a year then a progressive may be what you need. I like sitting at the bench during the winter months and loading up the next summers rounds on a single stage press. While not fast if I am steady I can put out quite a bit of ammo.

But if I were to purchase a progressive Dillon would be the way that I would go. Do they still send out that nice catalog ever few months? I haven't seen one in a number of years.
They do! Go ahead and purchase something from them. You'll be right back on the gun bunny mailing list.

If just for hunting loads, I would say no.

Progressives are great for doing long runs, say to build up 500 or so rounds per month, (or per week) for heavy volume practice and competition.
Need 5 to 10 thousand 223 / 308 / 9mm or 45 per year? Absolutely.

A few boxes of hunting ammo per month - probably just about as fast and with a lot better precision on a single stage with an RCBS Chargemaster. Edit: Or even with an inexpensive Lee powder measure.

My Dillon powder measures are maybe accurate to +/- 0.2 grains - on a good day with ball powder. Significantly worse with extruded powders - especially Varget. (I absolutely will not use Varget on a progressive).

In one AR-15, my standard 55 gr Hornady FMJ practice loads - with Tac (a ball powder) - go from ~2+ MOA with the Dillon, to 1.5 MOA single stage.

Last edited:
They do! Go ahead and purchase something from them. You'll be right back on the gun bunny mailing list.

After I posted I went to their web site and got signed back for it.

There may be an answer, like a ground wire, but I found several ball powders have way too much static cling in my dillon 550 measure to weigh accurately.
As far as accuracy goes, I load all my 223 on the 550 and get sub moa easily out of two AR's. I usually check 10 drops (They must be in load cycle) then weigh check every one. If they are consistent I run a batch of 100. If they are not to my satisfaction I will weigh every load. That is not efficient but won't accept excessive variation. 2400 is one that has to be dropped and checked for my 44 mag.
I read wipe the powder measure with a dryer sheet but they are too rough and was going to scratch the plastic bad.
The static issue with the powder(s) would be the same with any brand loader.

I would go with the 550 for cheaper caliber conversions. Otherwise the 750 if you want auto indexing. Also check the cartridge max length for each press. The 550 handles longer cases IIRC.

What color was this progressive press? The light blue one has been good to me for something like 100,000 rounds or so.

It was a Dillon 650. It is still taking up space in my storage room.

For hunting I strictly use single stage press. I take my time, and those load are as accurate as they get. If I need to load 50-100 rnds, this is the press I use.

I have 3 Dillon 550s, and they are great and accurate for mass production of ammo. When I was shooting IPSC/USPSA I was shooting an average of 500 rnds a week, and the Dillons were handy. My Dillon are set up for small primer pistol, large primer pistol, and rifle ( 223 & 308).

Could I load accurate hunting load out of these Dillon's? I'm sure, but I like taking my time on the single stage press.

I believe the RL550 is the most versatile progressive press in the market. If I was in the market for a regressive press, I'd buy an RL550 again.

For hunting I strictly use single stage press. I take my time, and those load are as accurate as they get. If I need to load 50-100 rnds, this is the press I use.

I have 3 Dillon 550s, and they are great and accurate for mass production of ammo. When I was shooting IPSC/USPSA I was shooting an average of 500 rnds a week, and the Dillons were handy. My Dillon are set up for small primer pistol, large primer pistol, and rifle ( 223 & 308).

Could I load accurate hunting load out of these Dillon's? I'm sure, but I like taking my time on the single stage press.

I believe the RL550 is the most versatile progressive press in the market. If I was in the market for a regressive press, I'd buy an RL550 again.
In an ideal world I'd have a 550 setup for belted mags, .30-06 base, and .223 base all with the calibers I used on tool head with powder measures. It's fool proof and very quick to load those hundred rounds needed. Your time is with something and I'd rather spend it shooting or hunting than reloading. The exception for me is the hand tools. I will devote some time on the small batches for them mainly to keep the skill sharp.

I don’t shoot enough ammo through my rifles and handguns. So I really don’t see any need for a progressive press. I also do actually enjoy the process of reloading.

On the other hand, for reloading shotgun shells I use Spolar press and am quite happy with it. Cranking out a several hundred to a thousand shells is a breeze.

It's a shame you're all the way in Nevada. I'd be glad to help you clean out your storage room...
I don’t shoot enough ammo through my rifles and handguns. So I really don’t see any need for a progressive press. I also do actually enjoy the process of reloading.

On the other hand, for reloading shotgun shells I use Spolar press and am quite happy with it. Cranking out a several hundred to a thousand shells is a breeze.
It's a shame you're all the way in Nevada. I'd be glad to help you clean out your storage room...
That's what UPS is for. PM me and we'll talk.

I need to toss in a couple things here.
I have my 550 mounted on a portable stand with a seat. (Short of room) MGF unknown but the mount plate has holes that specifically fit the Dillon 550 press and finished shell chute. When getting too great of powder charge variation I realized some primers seated pretty hard from tight pockets. This would shake the press and thought make the charge irregular maybe from packing when shook. I tried seating the primers first thus remove the seating shake issue. That made a difference. This probably wouldn't happen if it was very solidly mounted on a heavy bench.
The other thing is 223 is much smaller then 300 WM and 500 NE so found loading them on a Lyman turret press a bit troublesome for my fingers. The Dillon 550 handles the 223 nicely.

I need to toss in a couple things here.
I have my 550 mounted on a portable stand with a seat. (Short of room) MGF unknown but the mount plate has holes that specifically fit the Dillon 550 press and finished shell chute. When getting too great of powder charge variation I realized some primers seated pretty hard from tight pockets. This would shake the press and thought make the charge irregular maybe from packing when shook. I tried seating the primers first thus remove the seating shake issue. That made a difference. This probably wouldn't happen if it was very solidly mounted on a heavy bench.
The other thing is 223 is much smaller then 300 WM and 500 NE so found loading them on a Lyman turret press a bit troublesome for my fingers. The Dillon 550 handles the 223 nicely.
I too have a 550 and 650 mounted on a semi portable stand. My presses mount to a 2x6 board atop a 6"x6" which all attaches to an old hearty wooden stool. My seat is separate and has a memory foam pad.

The powder variations I have never noticed all that much. When I first loaded 300 BLK I had some issues with light charges and spilling, but they quickly went away. Do you have any issues with the cases taking a moment to fill? I think I may have been going too fast and causing myself heartache. I also had a big issue with 10mm and accurate #9 leaking around and jamming up the powder bar, but an oversized one from the factory solved that without further headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.