Problem with codeshare flight when traveling with a rifle?

Qc_BearHunter

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
After being a pissed by British Airways for almost 2 months, my travel agent find me a return flight with Air Canada, operated by Lufthansa.

At this point, everything looked fine. I made my homework and called the airline company well before their deadline. (Flight is schedule on july 8th) to inform them I'll have a rifle as a checked baggage.

Ho surprise, the guy who I talked to told me it's impossible for them to take my rifle because since it's a codeshare flight, they don't offer all theses services.

WTF???????

All this BS is really turning me off on bringing my firearm. I'm about to cry.

Fuck

I flew code share with United and SAA last summer with no problems. Good luck!

Glad you found someone with a clue. Good luck with your trip

Called again Lufthansa this evening. Instead of Maurice, I talked to Dereck.

Everything went fine and I’ll be able to bring back my rifle.
I would say about half of airline staff have no idea what they are doing. They do not know their own rules and are truly incompetent. Code share means little in these cases. What matters is who’s metal are you flying on?

I am sorry for your frustration and the bad info you received.

Is that code share Lufthansa all the way back home? Or do you change metal in Frankfort to Air Canada? If so, you might want to get back on the phone and see if they will do the gun transfer. Regular baggage of course is not a problem.

And don’t forget Frankfort requires a permit.

The problem with code share partners is that they do not always have firearm transfer agreements, even though they have baggage transfer ect.
I had that problem between Alaska Air and Emerites. I checked in my luggage and gun case in Anchorage and was assured by the AK Air agent that the luggage would all transfer to Emerites in Seattle. I arrived in Seattle and my phone was ringing before I got off the airplane. I had to out through security to the Emerites counter pick up my gun case and recheck it in with Emerites. It all worked out but was a very unexpected pain in the A....

My travel agent bought my flight ticket with AC. This particular flight is an AC flight from Johannesburg to Frankfurt operated by Lufthansa. AC told me all the baggages will follow.

Yes there's a transit permit needed in Frankfurt. I made my application a few weeks ago to the customs there but I got no feedback yet.

Sometime we learn by experience. If I do it again, I'll try to transit on the way in and on the way out by the US, but I don't know if it's possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeldaS5579

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?