Practicing With Dangerous Game Rifles

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa

“Anyone who hunts elephants, rhinos or buffalo is a candidate for catastrophe.” —Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1952​

by
  • JOE COOGAN
  • posted on July 24, 2022

Practice … But Don’t Hurt Yourself

FDCFDD43-6946-4CD8-897F-7C2F18F23A95_1_201_a.jpeg

Be Honest With Yourself:
F77D7BB8-66DC-47B0-A8E8-0E8DE5041563.jpeg

Shoot And Shoot More Often

At the range utilize a bench only to zero your scope or sights. Once you’ve confirmed your gun is sighted-in come off the bench and shoot it in standing, kneeling, sitting or pronepositions to simulate real field conditions. Shooting offhand is perhaps the most unstable of all shooting positions—one that shooters practice too little—but you’ll find shooting from this position is quite pleasant. Consistently hitting what you aim at from offhand positions will maintain interest and incentive, and it’s a great confidence booster. If you master the skills of competent offhand shooting, then shooting from any type of rest will feel rock-solid steady.

F793D459-4F4B-41D8-9337-A363A36B8812_1_201_a.jpeg

Enjoy The Hunt:
When that special animal—dangerous or otherwise—appears suddenly, success will be measured by the level of competence with which you handle and shoot your rifle. The time you devote to practice and preparation beforehand will increase your chances of making an effective shot when that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity presents itself. Whether you’re stalking the game fields of Africa or the Alaskan tundra, confidence, capability and familiarity with your rifle will make a world of difference to the safety, success and sense of satisfaction you’ll achieve at the end of the hunt.

3A12C7E2-387A-46BA-A2FF-AB9C3666153E_1_201_a.jpeg

This is a very good article Fred, I couldn't agree more with you - it's something I always stress my friends and customers.
A big part of them don't understand that the best piece of equipment they have, is themself. Be prepared, and shot a lot, I mean A LOT!
You said it very well.

I'll save your article and share it with my hunting friends. Your words are tailored especially for DG, but will do fine for every challenging kind of hunt.

Carrying, handling, and shooting the rifle all build familiarity and, thus confidence. Walk, stop, unlimber, shoot. Repeat.

A great read indeed.

A good read and great advice for anyone who hunts!

I couldn't agree more!

So much focus on splitting of hairs on bullet grain, velocity, MOA, scope mag, etc. These are all worthwhile for discussion; however, being able to effectively shoot in an active DG encounter is most important. His focus on making 1st shot count is very good.

Being around a while in africa, I saw lots of „problems“ foreign hunters had with their equipment. The most appearing fail I noticed was the …… safety of the gun. So many hunters did, when being in pre-shot contact with game, just forgot to release the safety before doing the trigger which resulted in no shot coming out of the gun but a sort of recoil movement done by the hunter himself.
After that things went bad because mostly the chance of placing that shot was gone and the approach had to start again. Sometimes some hours of stalking the game for nothing. PHˋs dream !!
A real mess was this european double fine trigger, which had to be activated first and also released carefully every time when the animal didnˋt move well to place a shot. Very unhandy and damned dangerous !!!

All that and the emotions, which will normally come up when african game and those chilly hunting situations come together, made things more difficult.

My tip to everybody, who plans hunting in africa is: Go get to know Your gun.
At least better than your wife. And I bet, you know exactly how the safety of Your wife works …. ! ;)

Last edited:
Our monthly big bore shoot is a real reveal of who is comfortable with their rifle and who isn't. It is all off hand and sometimes with moving targets. It is remarkable how accurate people can be when it is just old hat, and fast too. I am comfortable with the Ruger 375, but need way more trigger time with the 450/400. Recoil is similar, it is just familiarity with the platform.

Our monthly big bore shoot is a real reveal of who is comfortable with their rifle and who isn't. It is all off hand and sometimes with moving targets. It is remarkable how accurate people can be when it is just old hat, and fast too. I am comfortable with the Ruger 375, but need way more trigger time with the 450/400. Recoil is similar, it is just familiarity with the platform.
As I can see You live in Zim Kevin, that means You guys know what Murphy has available. I agree with You, practise is THE way to create good results out in the veld. That´s why those PHers and farmers are mostly good shots because they do it all day. Shooting successfull Offhands is the real thing, all flees with the shooter or the gun are recognized directly. No excuses!
Best regards to You Big Bore guys far down in the South. Have one of those icecold Zambezi beer for me to make me jelous !!! ;) ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg