Possible to reangle a mounts head

davetexas

AH senior member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
68
Reaction score
95
Media
2
I've got a bushbuck that looks great however it needs to have the he dangled down. It would look great at 8 foot but I have it at 13 foot and it is looking straight out. Could a taxidermist fix the angle? How about an ear. They have one ear angled back but I would like it to be forward. Thanks!
 
Very interesting question. That will be good to know!
 
Form would have to be altered for sure and I think whether the Cape once mounted could be fitted to the new or altered form depends upon the method used on it in the first place? It might require a new cape to do so?
 
Exactly royal27. It can be done but You might have to get another cape.
 
Generally speaking yes. The ears are certainly the easiest to fix. The head angle on the other hand is more complex. Assuming it was a wet tanned mount then it can be re-hydrated and either remounted on a different form with the head position where you want it (I would prefer to do it this way as it's less work and saves you labor charges) or... re-hydrated and the angle of the head changed on the existing form and remounted. Either way to change the head your looking at the cost to completely remount the animal plus any additional labor/materials. The ears are easy though and not that big of a deal.
 
Or for a cheaper alternative, put a wedge spacer on the back and angle the whole mount down a tad. That might be just enough to get what you want. Moving the ear is doable but will take a professional taxi to do- no easy home remedies
 
I wouldn't do the ear...fix it all....new mount . Itwould be about the same trouble and time as a new mount and you ALWAYS HAVE RISK of loosing it if the skin is older than 1 year and could tear. Then you have to pay for the time to try to fix it and have no mount. I have bushbuck capes
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,284
Messages
1,571,695
Members
169,398
Latest member
EXLDarcy51
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top