Planing My first African plains game hunt

robgab53au

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Hope you can help me plan my first ever hunt to Africa.
I'm looking to Hunt in Namibia and south Africa as a second opinion.
I'm looking to Hunt the medium to large species of antelope.
I'm looking at 2026 for the hunt so have heaps of time to plan and save.
I forgot to add that I'm from Australia so any hunters from the land down under that has information specific to Australia would be wonderful.
I will be using my own rifle also which I'm going to acquire so any suggestions On calibre would be helpful.
I do have some thoughts on this but I'm interested in what other people think also
Thank you in advance for all your assistance
Robert

Sounds great! SA and Namibia are both awesome places by the looks of it.
I hunted in Namibia for the first time and it was great hunting for me.

Based on what you said you will take “the medium to large antelopes”
I would not be so selective as many experienced African hunters will say the same.

Warthog, duiker, steenbok and many other very cool critters such Caracal cats, Dik Dik in Namibia, blue duiker in SA. These are all great trophy’s and if your PH says wow look at that - Then you should listen.

I think most people would have a better first experience if it was a more open minded hunt!

That my 2 cents! Do as your heart desires but think about it!

With all that said you came to the right place and there are so many great people that offer help here. Many great outfitters too! Have fun

In the beginning....

I'm sure everyone will throw something in. Sounds like you're after the basic first time plains game hunt I'd guess the majority of us do. Mine was to Namibia, 5 species that turned into 7. Smallest was warthog, largest aside from the less than normal giraffe was kudu. I still know my first outfitter, owners of their own "farm" they hunt on and can pass along info if interested PM me. Very personable and reasonable. Anyway, the next up in my books is of course South Africa. Lots of great outfitters here. Marius with @KMG Hunting Safaris would be my suggestion there without batting an eye.

As for rifle caliber. Well, the shortest answer is what are you comfortable shooting well. When I got serious, looking and talking every place I chatted with at sportsmans shows said something along the lines of "Do you have a 308 (or) 30-06, bring it." They want accuracy not over the top firepower. My 30-06 did the trick without issue. The bread and butter 30 cals with 165 or 180 grain monometal bullets like Barnes TTSX, or a good 180 gr bonded bullet will do all what you need to do with little fan fare. You can go lighter into 270 or 7mms and heavier into the 300 Win Mag, 338, 350 or even 375s if you like and own them. But do not get one because you think you need it.

Last edited:
Good day, Robert!
You're now entering the best part of your hunt, the planning!
If you need any info on hunting in South Africa, please feel welcome to contact me. I'll send you a PM.
Best regards!
Johan

Nothing matches a first safari from the planning and preparation to the first morning as the sun rises. You only get one first so soak it all in. You would love Namibia such a great country. I’ve been fortunate to do two safaris there, and enjoyed both very much.

I’m not a super big ballistics nut as many people are these days for me if you’re looking to do medium to large size game you couldn’t go wrong with a 300-caliber rifle whether that’s win mag or H&H. I have used a 300 for a variety of plains game over the years but have primarily taken my 7mm rem mag on a majority of plains game safaris and have yet to have any issue with that as well.

Look forward to following along on the planning stages of your hunt.

30-06 is the answer. This one has been killing things since WWII.
20230813_102935.jpg

Hi everyone
I forgot to add that I'm from Australia so any hunters from the land down under that has information specific to Australia would be wonderful.
I will be using my own rifle also which I'm going to acquire so any suggestions On calibre would be helpful.
I do have some thoughts on this but I'm interested in what other people think also
Robert

Good day Robert

Trust you are doing well.

We are a family operation based in central Namibia and hunt on more than 50 000 acres. We operate in both plains game and dangerous all over Namibia and can help you.

It is our goal to offer the best fair chase, bespoke and personalized hunting experience and never commercialized. Your hunt your camp.
I have a good friend in Australia you more than welcome to contact as reference.

Please have a look at my website www.divansafaris.com or WhatsApp +264 81 365 0211
Email huntingdivan@gmail.com

Yours truly.

Sounds great! SA and Namibia are both awesome places by the looks of it.
I hunted in Namibia for the first time and it was great hunting for me.

Based on what you said you will take “the medium to large antelopes”
I would not be so selective as many experienced African hunters will say the same.

Warthog, duiker, steenbok and many other very cool critters such Caracal cats, Dik Dik in Namibia, blue duiker in SA. These are all great trophy’s and if your PH says wow look at that - Then you should listen.

I think most people would have a better first experience if it was a more open minded hunt!

That my 2 cents! Do as your heart desires but think about it!

With all that said you came to the right place and there are so many great people that offer help here. Many great outfitters too! Have fun
You are correct in what you say and as planning continues I'll have a min list of animals that I want to hunt and have fund's put aside to take extra
Thank you

In the beginning....

I'm sure everyone will throw something in. Sounds like you're after the basic first time plains game hunt I'd guess the majority of us do. Mine was to Namibia, 5 species that turned into 7. Smallest was warthog, largest aside from the less than normal giraffe was kudu. I still know my first outfitter, owners of their own "farm" they hunt on and can pass along info if interested PM me. Very personable and reasonable. Anyway, the next up in my books is of course South Africa. Lots of great outfitters here. Marius with @KMG Hunting Safaris would be my suggestion there without batting an eye.

As for rifle caliber. Well, the shortest answer is what are you comfortable shooting well. When I got serious, looking and talking every place I chatted with at sportsmans shows said something along the lines of "Do you have a 308 (or) 30-06, bring it." They want accuracy not over the top firepower. My 30-06 did the trick without issue. The bread and butter 30 cals with 165 or 180 grain monometal bullets like Barnes TTSX, or a good 180 gr bonded bullet will do all what you need to do with little fan fare. You can go lighter into 270 or 7mms and heavier into the 300 Win Mag, 338, 350 or even 375s if you like and own them. But do not get one because you think you need it.
30 06 was first On the list as a around calibre that I can use Here in Australia and overseas for most non dangerous game.
Why I said that I'm buying a new rifle is that I was living in New Zealand for nearly 20 years and had to sell my firearms before I moved back to Australia.
My other choice is the 9.3x62 as a Just because I've always wanted one and was born to Hunt Africa lol

Just another question
Would you recommend a game ranch or free range as a first safari
I'm open to both as long as the game isn't planted so to speak which ive read can happen
Thank you

Hi everyone
Robert
Good morning mr Robert.
I would be able to assist you in South Africa.
I have a group of Australian clients coming in next week, so I would be happy to put you in contact with them as well.

Will send you a private message.
Regards
Derian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XWJBarb086

Latest profile posts

Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?
gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.